Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#94103 - 05/09/07 12:44 AM The gold mines of tomorrow......
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
"The trash dumps of today will be the gold mines of tomorrow"... Ponce

Think about, 93% of every thing that we use has to do with oil and as the population increases and the oil sources goes down there will be less and less stuff made with plastic.

Plastic will always be there waiting for you 10 to 70 feet underground, a lot of metal, comps, washing machines, stoves,
TV'S and so on.

What to do? hummmmmmm, let me see....... ok, buy the land after it has been covered over and build a house for you and yours... one thing that I forgot to tell you.....trash makes methane and methane can be used for your vehicle, cooking or heating.

Your grandkids will be millionairs when they start mining the trash dumps of today.

"IF YOU DON'T HOLD IT, YOU DON'T OWN IT"... Ponce

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

#94105 - 05/09/07 01:14 AM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: Ponce]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I think you are right on the money. Archaeologists are already combing through trash from the 60's and 70's for historical (hysterical) purposes.

#94111 - 05/09/07 02:04 AM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: Ponce]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That's been predicted for 40 years. We're already using landfill methane in limited quantities for heating and electricity generation.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#94120 - 05/09/07 02:51 AM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: Ponce]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
One day, long long ago, my ex decided that at some time in the future Mrs Butterworths syrup bottles were gonna be worth their weight in gold, so she started saving them. Probably has a jillion by now. One more reason she is my ex...

#94310 - 05/10/07 07:18 PM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: OldBaldGuy]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Comon. Anyone who's played the game fallout already knows bottlecaps and nuko-cola are where the REAL money is at.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#94360 - 05/11/07 03:37 AM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: garland]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I probably should have saved a couple of Grape Nehi bottles I guess...

#94375 - 05/11/07 01:16 PM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: garland]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I plan on acquiring a turbo plasma rifle from the ruins. Then I'll have all the bottle caps I want... grin

#94395 - 05/11/07 03:36 PM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: norad45]
Ponce Offline

Loc: In the woods of Oregon.
Just read yesterday that we throw away TWO MILLIONS TONES of those little empty water bottles..... and that's only the water bottles.

If you were to count computers, tables, counters, cabinets, chairs and what ever then you will have a gold mine in the future.

If you want to throw away something just because is "old" then keep it and your kids or grandkids will make a bundle in the morrow.

"To be ready is not"... Ponce

#95408 - 05/23/07 11:04 PM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: Ponce]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
I was!, -and Remain Absolutely Shocked!, -to have heard that one or more of the Later Apollo Mission's Lunar Modules, (Apollos 18 thru 20 or 21),-which were Budget Cut Off by a 70s "Earth First" Congress, -*LIES BURIED SOMEWHERE IN NEW YORK'S FRESH KILLS or other LANDFILL!*!!!!, -when Grumman Bethpage, -evidently had Nothing Else to do with it!!!! Come On!, -Thats like placing our Original Constitution and Declaration of Independence there! Right in with all the Gungy Newspapers and Street Litter and everything!!! There are of course Some Things in Life!, -that you Just DON'T go Trashing Off into a Landfill! This should be "So Elementary Life 101"!, -that it should Self Evidently Go Without Saying! I mean, -Do People have to be Reminded or Told!? Does someone have to Draw them a Picture of it!? Just Throwing a Perfectly Good, Spandiferous, Moonworthy Apollo Lunar Module into an Everyday Average Landfill!!!!

At least One, -from those Shortsightedly Cancelled later Missions, -has been Saved! In that it now Proudly Resides in our National Air and Space Museum!

But to just Chuck even One, or Any, -into your everyday John Q Landfill!, -Why!, -There just Obviously is NO Reason, Rationale, Cause, Call, Justification, or Excuse!!!!!

Ditto the "Just Chuck Off LOSS"!, -of All Apollo Plans and Tooling Capability! We've Long Ago just LOST the Capability!, -to Again Re-Make an Apollo / Saturn 5, -should we ever Want or have Reason to do so! Just to Bow to Short Sighted, Earth First, Budget Cuts! And nth Degree Dollar Stretching and Corner Cutting, with whatever's Preciously Leftover! A BiCentennial Apollo Mission *returning* to Tranquility Base in 76!, -Sure would have been Nice! Rovers and such, -perhaps even originally Planned "Lunar Flying Units", -could have Ranged Out Far Further than Neil and Buzz ever did, -in a Great Scientific and Exploratory Followup!(Of course Not Disturbing 11's Original Footprints and All! Someday Such from All Apollo, Ranger, etc Missions, -will have to be "Enforceingly Preserved"!). A BiCentennial Mission would have made for a Nice Excuse, -for at least One More Apollo Mission!, -to say a least. To NOT just Throw the Plans and Plant Capability for such!, -this perhaps in another Landfill somewhere!, -would have of course been a Crucial Pre-Requisite for such! Dah!

Heck I'm even one who Wishes that the Original Rockwell and Grumman Apollo Contracts!, -with NASA and our Govt, -be Honorably Enshrined in the National Air and Space Museum! They're as Splendiferous, in their Own Way, -as Anything Else!, -that was *Behind* our First Getting to the Moon! Oh though!, -Where did they too since go!?, -into a Shredder or yet Another Landfill!?...

Things like Those and Apollo LMs just being Chucked Off into your Average, Everyday Landfill! Sheeesh and Gleeezh!...

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (05/23/07 11:11 PM)
Edit Reason: some 15 minor Corrections.

#95410 - 05/23/07 11:19 PM Re: The gold mines of tomorrow...... [Re: Ponce]
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
We might be Pleasantly Surprised at just how much *Money* gets Thrown Down there! Bills, Coins, Whatnot. And Don't Forget Jewelry and such! Just Look at the Coins which Go Out with an average discarded Sofa or Couch! (Hint, -Reach your Hand in there! But Beware of being Poked with Pins and such!).

Heck!, -If they could Just Throw Away an unused Apollo Lunar Module in there!, (As I say elsewhere in this Thread), -then Why on Earth not Money!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.