Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#92992 - 04/30/07 10:37 AM Going to Big Island, need advice on what to see
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
I know one of the members here, Aloha, is from Hawaii, so he may give me some input. But if anyone else has been to Big Island, please don't hesitate to post to this thread as well.

As the title says, we are going to Hawaii. We will be on Maui and Big Island for 5 nights each. We have been to Maui before and loved it, but never to the Big Island.

So, what are the things not to be missed on Big Island, besides seeing the volcano?

(p.s.: We will have a car)

Thanks for any input! smile

#93024 - 04/30/07 05:45 PM Re: Going to Big Island, need advice on what to se [Re: redflare]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Good call nighthiker!

e komo mai redflare! Here is a site to look at for more information:
http://www.hawaiitrails.org/island.asp?island=Hawaii.

I have only been on the Big Island for business, so I haven't had the pleasure of exploring.

On Maui, make sure you eat at Mama's Fish House.

If you make it to Oahu, please look me up.

#93060 - 04/30/07 10:06 PM Re: Going to Big Island, need advice on what to se [Re: aloha]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

Hey Redflare,

I just got back from the Big Island last week. I stayed one week, I think I covered most of the major tourist type things. If you wanna pm me your plans, I'll try and tell you everything I can while it's still fresh in my mind. One thing I can tell you is, I did a LOT of driving. Pretty much drove every major highway on the island in that week.

#93063 - 04/30/07 10:30 PM Re: Going to Big Island, need advice on what to see [Re: redflare]
Fabio Offline
Stranger

Loc: Brasília, Brazil

I sugest you the night hike to see the lava flow in the east rift zone of the Kilauea. It was one of the most impressive things I´ve ever seen im my life. It is a short hike from the ranger station on the end of the chain of craters road.

Look at http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava.htm for up to date information about this hike.

#93067 - 04/30/07 11:12 PM Re: Going to Big Island, need advice on what to see [Re: Fabio]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
The lava is hit or miss. When I was there it was closed off.

Craters Nat'l Park (seperate from the volcano).
If you're kind of eccenteric like me, there's Volcano Winery (the southern-most winery in the US!) near the southernmost point of the island (about 2-3 hr drive south of Kona). There's a coffee plantation (I forget the name) about 30 minutes south of Kona. On the east side (Hilo), there's the Mauna Loa Macadamia nut plantation that gives free tours. Also the Pacific Tsunami museum. Mauna Kea, the mountain/volcano, can be camped. Or, you can drive up it towards dusk and catch a show at the ranger station; they bring out some pretty decent telescopes and do an astronomy show. Dress warm; you're probably 5-6000 feet up! If you want to do this, check it out first, they might require a 4x4 car. I think you can also drive to the top and see the actual observatories.

Driving the island is actually quite big, so prepare for it if you want to get around it all!

#93084 - 05/01/07 02:03 AM Re: Going to Big Island, need advice on what to se [Re: redflare]
hercdoc Offline
Journeyman

Loc: L.A. (Lower Alabama)
It's ashame your not going to O'ahu. Waikiki rocks!! I have spent many days and night at Moose McGillycuddy's! The "Moose Nachos" awsome!! They are open from 0730 to 0330! You can get breakfast lunch and dinner served in a glass!

#93105 - 05/01/07 04:16 AM Re: Going to Big Island, need advice on what to se [Re: hercdoc]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hercdoc
It's ashame your not going to O'ahu. Waikiki rocks!! I have spent many days and night at Moose McGillycuddy's! The "Moose Nachos" awsome!! They are open from 0730 to 0330! You can get breakfast lunch and dinner served in a glass!

Moose is also available in San Diego, and I believe Pasadena, CA.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 379 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.