Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#88822 - 03/19/07 08:48 PM Hiking/Outdoor Boots???
MrDrysdale Offline

Loc: League City, Texas
I'm not sure this topic is appropriate for this overall forum but it seems there are a lot of outdoors folks on here so I thought I would ask!

Just got back from camping and hiking in the Garner State Park area of Texas and have finally worn out my Coleman hiking boots. I want a better pair.

Anyone have a suggestion on boots? I do most of my hiking in the Texas summer heat. Rarely will I be in weather under 40 degrees; however I would like something water resistent.

Any input would be helpful.

Thanks
Mike

#88824 - 03/19/07 09:47 PM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: MrDrysdale]
Coastie09 Offline
I didn't float test my chipping hammer, honest Chief!

Loc: Connecticut
I wore out my Timberland boots last week in the Smokies. These are the boots I am now looking at, mainly all leather, GoreTex, and a Vibram sole.

cabela's

EMS
vasque

Hope that helps. I'm leaning toward the EMS boots myself.

Matt

#88835 - 03/19/07 11:45 PM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: Coastie09]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I know these are over-priced comparatively, but I've grown fond of my Danners. Thank God I didn't have to pay for them (issued while on govt work).

That said, I reckon I've seen a hundred pairs of boots from different mfrs that I could go for. Ultimately, you gotta try them on, try them out, and see for yourself what works for you. Just like good cowboy boots, folks have different style and fit requirements for hikers that make them pick one mfr over another.

The thing is you are gonna have to be prepared to spend the money for the higher quality, then it's just a matter of finding what will fit your foot best for a given category (all my hikers are insulated as that is what I need for the environment I use them in). Where you are you might need something that breathes a bit better.

The list of good quality boot makers is long. You can even go custom. I won't buy a pair of boots I can't at least try on first. Usually if a high end boot feels right in the store, it will continue to feel right as it breaks in. Cheaper boots don't seem to work out as well, though you can get lucky sometimes.

#88842 - 03/20/07 01:35 AM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: MrDrysdale]
big_al Offline
Addict

Loc: 20mi east of San Diego

I have used a pair of Georgia loggers for years. Good boots.

#88851 - 03/20/07 03:34 AM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: MrDrysdale]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Mike, Sorry I didn't see you sooner. Welcome to the forum! You'll find a bunch of us fellow Texans here.

To follow up your question (and I'll probably be laughed off the forum for asking this), but what are people's opinions on surplus leather army boots? I used to wear them while working in a grocery store standing for eight-hour shifts and not having any complaints. How are they in the woods? About what a person could expect from the government or suprisingly good?

Thanks.
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#88870 - 03/20/07 10:48 AM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: Blast]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I wonder about that, too. I've never liked leather army boots. Too heavy for the summer and too light in the winter. I have a pair but I only use them for shovelling snow these days. Maybe I'm not doing them justice but I just think you could a lot better with hiking boots.

#88871 - 03/20/07 11:42 AM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: Blast]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
I've spent better'n twenty years wearin' "them there Army boots" and I have a little bit of feedback:

The baseline "recruit boots" draw a serious vacuum in the comfy dept.

However, the suede rough-out desert boots that are now (sadly) general issue are quite comfy, and appropriate for Texas wear. Even though I'm from Oklahoma I've managed to wear out a pair or two in Texas (Ft. Hood)...

"Jungle Boots" feel pretty much like sneakers and have zero ankle support, I've never really liked 'em. I've got a pair of the insulated winter boots, and during the last ice storm, I finally got some use out of them--I give them an A+ for the environment they're designed for.

Note: ANY boot is worn out far faster than you think. If you can roll a pencil underneath any part of the sole (while it is resting on a flat surface), it's time to either get a new pair, or have them retreaded. A good pair of Dr. Scholl's inserts is mandatory if you have high arches; the Army has flattish feet, otherwise.

Try out a pair of the tan desert boots if you're looking for a non-expensive option. Otherwise, read the Complete Walker iv for some ideas in the sneaker_cum_hiking_boot area.

#88876 - 03/20/07 01:36 PM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: MrDrysdale]
Malpaso Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Take a look at the Merrell line. My last three pairs have been from them, and I wear them year round.

#88878 - 03/20/07 01:47 PM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: MrDrysdale]
norad45 Offline
Veteran

I've used Rocky boots for the last 15 years or so with no complaints.

#88879 - 03/20/07 01:49 PM Re: Hiking/Outdoor Boots??? [Re: NeighborBill]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Billy, I've been thinking about getting those desert boots for summer hikes. How long do they last in rocky terrain etc.? Also, I do most of the hiking in temperate woodland, not desert. Are those boots meant for dry weather only? I'm thinking they might be useful around here for summer treks too, but I'd like to hear some educated opininons first.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.