Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#89921 - 03/30/07 11:55 AM Question Most efficient luggage combo with laptop
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Greetings, gents

I travel within the U.S. for business once or twice a month for three to four days at a time. I'm a very lightweight packer and always travel with a laptop. I've tried several combinations of bags and luggage over the years, but I'm never satisfied with the arrangement and am always tweaking things (part sport and part neurosis) ;-0 When I was in my twenties, I carried a plain black ballistic nylon backpack with a laptop slot, and I was able to also fit two pairs of pants, a few shirts, and a shave kit, so I had everything contained in one carryon (no suits for my business). In concept, it was ideal, but the drawbacks were that the backpack straps would make my shoulders sore after half a day of getting it on and off my back, there was rarely any extra room even for a thin raincoat or paperwork binder, and I think may look a bit juvenile and unprofessional now that I am in my thirties (or maybe I'm too self-conscious about that).

When the airlines increased their security restrictions with regards to liquids and gels, I "gave up" my carryon-only philosophy and went back to a small rolling suitcase (sometimes checked) and a standard laptop bag. This arrangement, as we're all aware, has its drawbacks as well, chiefly being separated from your shave kit and unders for an uncertain amount of time.

Lately, I have honed my shave kit to the 3 oz. maximum for all liquids and gels, and want to get back to a carryon only strategy. I have a nice, trim, soft-sided briefcase that is a step up from the usual big black nylon laptop case. What I can't decide on is the most efficient companion to the laptop case. I have a compact, low-key duffel that seems ideal in that it is lightweight, has a shoe compartment, and has a bit of extra room for a folded raincoat or conference documents. However, I can't envision how to actually carry the two separate bags without it being awkward. They both have padded shoulder straps, and also the usual loop handles. I guess I could carry the duffel on one shoulder and the briefcase in the other hand "old-school" style.

I guess I'm looking for the perfect solution where I don't have too much load on my back (or none), but can still carry on everything. I'm fine with putting one bag in the overhead and one bag under the seat, as with the laptop case and duffel arrangement, but ideally I have just one bag. Maybe I should look for a wheeled laptop case that also has an extra compartment for some clothing and shave kit. Any ideas on that?

What arrangement do you find most efficient?

#89923 - 03/30/07 12:09 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with laptop [Re: gear_freak]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
They do have rolling luggage that fits overhead. That and a laptop briefcase/shoulder bag should be OK. I personally like backpacks. I'm nearing 30, and still feel it's fine. I think as long as you're not wearing a full suit, a backpack is understandable on an airline. If you are in a suit, take the jacket off!

Or you could still duffle, sling over shoulder, and carry the laptop in the other hand? I think that, unless you're strapping things on to you, you'll still have both hands busy.

#89927 - 03/30/07 01:25 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with laptop [Re: MDinana]
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

I did see a nice 20" rolling bag that I liked at the store the other day. It looks like I could hang the laptop bag from the main bag, and then enjoy 100% rolling goodness.

#89934 - 03/30/07 04:25 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with la [Re: gear_freak]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Be sure to check the handle length. I've had one of those that my heels hit if I was walking quickly.

#89940 - 03/30/07 05:20 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with laptop [Re: NightHiker]
garland Offline

Loc: harrisburg, pa
Well, it's not fashionable but what I do is this:

I take my laptop carryon bag (ibm style with a dell laptop) and cram it full of all my electronic crap and my 1qt bag for liquids. I then bring a totes collapsable duffle bag with my clothes/shoes/etc. The nice thing here is that if I'm willing to do some ironing when I get to the hotel I just cram my bag into tiny little space. Only one time did they ever ask me to tag it so it could be stowed away. Generally it looks larger than the 'carry on luggage' that I see but since it compresses I can effectively get away with it.

It's ugly as sin though.
Facebook: http://on.fb.me/foPFgx

#89951 - 03/30/07 09:00 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with la [Re: UTAlumnus]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

I switched to a rolling laptop bag 5 years ago. ( After a long afternoon spent stuck in an airport, lugging gear back and forth.) Your shoulders will thank you.

#89966 - 03/30/07 11:26 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with laptop [Re: gear_freak]
Urbanite Offline

I have found this site helpful

www.onebag.com

#90058 - 03/31/07 08:50 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with la [Re: gear_freak]
spuddate Offline

Loc: Southern California
Gear Freak,
I also travel a lot with a laptop. My goal was to get down to one bag. I have finally settled on a Rick Steves Convertible Carry On. I can put the laptop in the large outside pocket, along with my 1 qt bag with liquids. This way I only have to open one zipper, put these items in the tray, and the rest of the bag goes through the X-ray. Simple and fast. I also use his Civita backpack to carry my papers, cables, etc., and it fits into the main compartment with my clothes. I usually take the Civita out before boarding, since it has the papers, etc. that I will work on in the plane. (The Civita goes under the seat in front of me.) At my destination, the laptop, papers, etc. go in the Civita, for carry to business meetings. For the last year, this has worked really well for me. There is also a rolling version of this bag, but the convertible works better for me.

Spud

#90141 - 04/01/07 05:42 PM Re: Question Most efficient luggage combo with la [Re: spuddate]
gear_freak Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up finding the rolling 20" travel pack that is the same brand and style as my laptop bag. I think the two will work very well together. It isn't Tumi, but I have been very pleased with the form and function of the laptop bag, and the rolling case seems equally sturdy:

Laptop Bag:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgia...n/photostream/

Wheeled Travel Pack:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/georgia...n/photostream/

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 426 Guests and 33 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.