Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#86340 - 02/22/07 03:38 AM Ramen noodles safe?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Has anyone eaten Ramen noodles for snack?

I checked the labels on the noodle package and it contains quite a bit of fat & transfat. I am very concern about transfat in my diet. Is it safe to eat this noodles compare to McDonald food?

#86342 - 02/22/07 03:49 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: picard120]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Too broad a question.

Yes, they are safer, say, than eating the french fries or a quarter pounder with cheese, depending on the quantity of each (I assume a serving either way in my comparison). They are probably not as good as say a salad, even one from McDonalds, would be. "Quite a bit" is also a relative term.

Taken on its own, transfat is not the penultimate killer the media would have you think. Saturated fat is just as bad in quantity imho. Really what I am looking at is the total content consumed and the time period. If all you ever ate was Ramen noodles, or McDonalds French Fries, or even my tremendous Pemmican, then you are going to have problems.

If you are using it as a foodsource for a backpacking event, or as a survival backup, then I'd say there is no real need for concern. If you are using it as a between meal snack once in a while, then I'd say it is a darned sight better than a candy bar or a bag of chips or cookies or a doughnut. Noodles have a lower GI, which should be easier on you than a big sugar spike from the more traditional snack foods. Yes, fruits and veggies are better for you. I'm not sure a bag of peanuts would be, though.

We've been fed foods containing transfat for years. In moderation I don't consider them any worse than sugar or butter or bacon or biscuits or eggs. I think the hype is over-rated.

#86344 - 02/22/07 04:06 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: picard120]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Most have enough sodium to send my BP off the scale...

#86346 - 02/22/07 04:18 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Ramen is toxic, as far as I'm concerned.

Suffice it to say that my cholesterol levels 8 years ago, when I ate plenty of trans fats, was way high. Now I eat only real fats (lard, olive oil, canola oil) and it's perfectly fine. I also eat about 10 eggs a week. Ramen and other super-processed foods made me sick. YMMV.

#86352 - 02/22/07 05:11 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: picard120]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Originally Posted By: picard120
Has anyone eaten Ramen noodles for snack?

I checked the labels on the noodle package and it contains quite a bit of fat & transfat. I am very concern about transfat in my diet. Is it safe to eat this noodles compare to McDonald food?

What the heck kind of ramen are you getting? All the nutritional information I could find on various ramens indicate no trans fat (http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts-C00001-01c224h.html). As for McDonald's, you might want to look more harshly at the fries than at the burgers.

#86388 - 02/22/07 04:10 PM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: MartinFocazio]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

I must admit that we have a few packs of the stuff around, in the "just in case" stash. Been there for a couple of years, same packs. Mainly because it does put something hot into your tummy, and has a great shelf life. After all, what can happen to it over time, the noodles get broken? Big deal, when forced to eat it I always break 'em up before cooking anyway. But they are for sure a "last resort" food for us...

#86428 - 02/22/07 09:58 PM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: NightHiker]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I hope they're ok, I just had some for lunch! smile

#86451 - 02/23/07 02:24 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: picard120]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I sure hope they are safe, it was a major staple of my diet back in college! What else could you buy the 24 pack for 2 dollars!

#86458 - 02/23/07 03:09 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
fugitive Offline

Loc: The Great Pacific Northwest
"I must admit that we have a few packs of the stuff around, in the "just in case" stash....and has a great shelf life."

OBG, I used to keep a bunch around for emergencies, but unlike you, I found the shelf life to be quite limited. Within less than a year they take on a bit of an off-taste due to the oil in the noodles going rancid. It gets worse with time. It is still edible, and I didn't get sick from it, but I don't care for the taste.

At first I thought it was just me, but back in the Y2K days I read a forum where many people had the same experience as I did with "survival ramen". Now, I try to eat the stuff within 6 months and toss anything over a year old.

Cheers, TR

#86466 - 02/23/07 04:29 AM Re: Ramen noodles safe? [Re: fugitive]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

"...I found the shelf life to be quite limited..."

Great, another plan of mine down the tube...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.