Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#80610 - 12/17/06 06:09 AM anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Has anyone gone on adventure weekend winter vacation? I am referring to a weekend stay at a hut.

Is hut to hut trip enjoyable compare to hotel ?

#80611 - 12/30/06 03:00 PM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I am planning a 3 day/2 night trip in February with my nephew. I am hoping for a very cold (hard to get in Lousy-anna), wet (no big trick here), so he can get some serious cold weather training.
I just went back through my pack and found some redundant items. I will be cleaning those out and topping off my nephew's gear with those items (sewing kits, etc).

#80612 - 12/30/06 04:14 PM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
I've done winter camping before, but not in a hut to hut type of trip. How does something like that work? Is it set up thorough the local Parks Department or something?

It sounds like fun, though.

Can you tell us more about it?

#80613 - 12/30/06 04:20 PM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Whereabouts are you going? I know they do hut to hut in the Whites in NH. Typically, you bunk with about 8 other people. It can get noisy, especially with small kids (may not be a problem in the winter). They usually have a communal dining room/kitchen too. Not sure if the one in the Whites staffs the kitchen in the winter, but I know they do a breakfast & dinner, included in the price, during the summer. I havent stayed at the huts mysel overnight (they charge hikers $25 to stay, on the floor. Kind of a ripoff), but I have heard of other hikers who have stayed there, and they would have rather stayed at a campsite. Mind you, this is durng the summer, when tourists drive up to a hut, stay overnight, then drive to the next one. Winter I would think that there are more outdoorsy type people, who are there to enjoy the outdoors via skiing, snowshoeing, etc.
I have done several winter camping trips in the pemmigawassett wilderness area, and loved every second of it. There is nothing quite like waking up in a tent, with 6" of fresh snow everywhere. Enjoy, get pics, and share!

#80615 - 12/30/06 04:51 PM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
Simon Offline

Loc: Tennessee
I have spent several weekends camping in previous years between Christmas and New Year's Day. Sometimes just in a sleeping bag under a canvas tarp by an open fire. Other times in tents. A hut would just ruin the whole outdoor adventure/experience for me.

#80616 - 12/31/06 01:45 AM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I have, but winter camping in Hawaii doesn't mean what I think you mean.

And, I refused to use the hut/cabin. I slept outside next to the fire. Less mosquitos that way. The folks that slept inside were the buffet line for the mosquitos that had already gotten in and were eaten alive.

#80617 - 12/31/06 04:05 AM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
bmisf Offline

I've done it here in the Sierra Nevada, where the Sierra Club maintains about half a dozen cabins you can ski or snowshoe to. There's usually a downstairs with benches and tables and a counter (no running water, but lakes or streams are usually near), and an upstairs with mattresses (but no bedding). We bring stoves, food and sleeping bags. Usually there's a pellet or wood stove for heat, too.

I prefer camping out in the snow, but the huts are nice for an occasional change of pace. No comparison with a hotel - much more rustic, and some of them are fairly remote.

Here's a link to one:

Ostrander Hut

My understanding of the huts in the White Mountains and in Europe is that they often have caretakers, serve food, and are a bit more like hotels.

#80618 - 12/31/06 04:07 AM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

Hut to Hut camping is very popular in Europe. The US has some of those camp sites but I don't know the location. Outside magazine mentioned about it once.

The hut is located in remote places. Hikers or skiers must hike a few miles from parking lot to the hut. The Hut looks like a Mongolian circular tent. It has wood fire place for cooking and keeping warmth. I don't know about the food availability at those huts. I assume hikers must carry their own food there.

#80619 - 12/31/06 06:20 AM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
It sounds like a blast. I'll have to look into it.

If I run across anything I'll post a link or get you some info if possible.

#80620 - 12/31/06 06:57 AM Re: anyone gone to weekend camping trip?
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Backpacker magazine trailside did an episode in colorado outside leadville hut to hut on bicycles interesting show and liked it alot.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 466 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.