Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68545 - 07/04/06 01:26 AM Knee support for backpacking
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Hi all!
I am going on an extended backpacking trip and need a knee support. Does anyone have any favorite knee braces/supports that they used in the past?
Please share your opinions on them.

thanks

#68546 - 07/04/06 04:12 AM Re: Knee support for backpacking
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
I use a wrap around one of neoprene with velcro. It does get hot tho.

Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#68547 - 07/04/06 07:49 AM Re: Knee support for backpacking
LED Offline
Veteran

you might want to try some superfeet or spenco inserts for your boots or hiking shoes too. i swear by the superfeet in all my shoes. they tend to keep your arch supported and keep the foot level which keeps undue pressure off the knee. proper foot alignment has made a night and day difference for my knees.

#68548 - 07/04/06 12:55 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
ADRENJUNKY Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
After 6 knee surgeries this is what I use. knee brace
What you should use depends on the injury. If you call these guys they can help.

Junky

Edited by ADRENJUNKY (07/04/06 12:56 PM)

#68549 - 07/04/06 01:37 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
In addition to the knee supports, you might consider using a pair of hiking poles. They seem to take some of the stress off of the knee joints, particularly going downhill. They also help provide some extra stability, which is handy with a backpack.

- Ron

#68550 - 07/05/06 01:06 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
redflare Offline
Addict

6 surgeries... you must have torn a ligament or a miniscus.
That brace looks good, but OUCH $169!
Is it really worth the money?

#68551 - 07/05/06 05:36 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

I'd definitely recommend trekking poles, maybe even before some sort of brace. I have bad knees and weak ankles, but I can still do some strenuous hikes because of the poles.

As Be_Prepared mentioned, they take a lot of the stress off the knee while hiking, plus they provide a lot of stability while hiking so you don't twist or tweak anything trying to recover your balance with a heavy pack. Just make sure you learn how to use them properly, it's basically just a stick, but there's still some techniques that make it a lot more efficient, like how to hold them, how to set the right height, etc.

#68552 - 07/05/06 11:09 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
redflare Offline
Addict

Any input on where to learn to use them properly?
If you have any tips that you learned yourself, would you mind sharing them?
thanks in advance

#68553 - 07/05/06 11:50 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

If you do a google search for "trekking poles + technique" or something similar, you should get a lot of good articles. Here are a few.

http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

http://www.backpacking.net/trekpole.html

I'm no expert, but I have used them a while and have learned a few things. Probably the most important thing you want to learn, is how to properly use the strap on the pole. Most people i see using these poles aren't holding them correctly. If you thread your hand from under the strap, and then grip the pole so the strap runs under your palm (hard to describe, but easy to do) then all the weight will be supported by your wrist and the strap. This way, you actually don't have to hold on to the grip at all, the only time you need to actually grip the pole is to lift it off the ground to swing if forward, not to support your weight. Doing it this way, your hands won't cramp up, your palms won't get sweaty, and you won't have to worry about blisters.

I started out with just using one pole to try it out, but I would recommend getting two poles from the beginning, because you really don't get as much of a benefit from just one pole. I bought some cheap $20 ones from Target (Walmart carries them for $10 each now), I figured if I like them I'd upgrade to Leki's or something better. But after about 5 years of using the same ones, I've never really felt the need to upgrade to anything better. If you're using them right, all the fancy cork grips and anti-shock tips don't really seem necessary, although I still want a pair of carbon fiber poles just for the weight savings.

Once you start using them, you'll probably find your own style. I just do whatever feels comfortable, and it seems to work. I know I've avoided a at least a few serious sprains or torn ligaments with these things, especially when hiking with a heavy pack. Plus they work great when crossing streams or logs, it's just like having another set of legs. about the only other thing I would recommend is don't be afraid to adjust them frequently, it only takes a few moments, but having the right height helps a lot. And you don't have to adjust them equally either, if you're walking along a slope, make the downhill one longer and the uphill shorter. If you want more info just PM me.

#68554 - 07/06/06 06:58 PM Re: Knee support for backpacking
BrianTexas Offline
Ordinary Average Guy
Enthusiast

Loc: North Central Texas, USA
I recommend going to an orthopedic surgeon and getting a prescription for customized orthodic supports for your shoes. They provided tremendous relief for my knees and hips because they realigned the bones to put less stress on the ligaments and muscles.

Do not go out and buy generic supports, nor anything offered by an infomercial. The customized supports can be made specifically to your unique requirements.

- Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.