The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#66850 - 05/30/06 08:48 PM Knife sharpening practice
Ors Offline
Namu (Giant Tree)
Addict

Loc: Florida, USA
So I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to sharpening knives. If I don't have my Sharpmaker, I'm not going to get any sort of decent edge on a knife. And I don't really feel comfortable being totally dependent on such devices, so I think I need to get a stone and practice keeping a consistent angle on my own.

I don't feel like messing up my RSKs or even the blades on my Leathermans, so I'm thinking that getting something inexpensive, say a Winchester from Walmart might be a good thing to practice with.

And it seems to me that the only way to get comfortable with it is to practice, practice, practice.

Other ideas or suggestions?

#66851 - 05/30/06 09:36 PM Re: Knife sharpening practice
wolf Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Michigan
You could pick up a couple Moras - they're inexpensive enough that destroying them isn't a problem, and nice blades if you don't destroy them.

Bona Na Croin

#66852 - 05/31/06 03:09 AM Re: Knife sharpening practice
desertrat1 Offline

Loc: Kingman AZ
When you buy a knife it has an edge. That edge is the bevel already provided by the manufacturer. The trick is to not try to apply a new edge but HONE the existing edge. The thickness of the blade generally determines the angle of the bevel. might I suggest using a steel instead of a stone. With a steel you slide the knife in a cutting motion so that you Just barely feel the blade cutting into the steel. no more no less.. You'll maintain the MFG bevel and have a damn sharp knife.

#66853 - 05/31/06 01:35 PM Re: Knife sharpening practice
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Yeah, like you, I don't like being dependent on a special tool to put an edge on something. And, like you, I still am not very good at hand sharpening. But I'm (slowly) getting better.

First, I'm assuming you've read the tutorials on sharpening a knife. If you haven't we can all recommend some. You need to understand what you're trying to do (get wire edge, flip, wire edge, etc.)

Second, and it took me a while to figure this out, no one style works for everyone. I never could get a consistent blade angle doing it the traditional "whittling" style (stroke blade away from you). I've evolved a style that probably looks stupid. Actually, it looks like I'm trying to poke my eye out. :-) I hold the stone in one hand, edge on (looking directly at side of stone). The other hand holds the blade against the stone, handle away from me, blade pointed RIGHT AT MY EYE. Why? Because this way, I can see the stone-blade angle. I move the blade back and forth over the stone, never lifting it up. This also helps maintain a constant blade-stone angle. I do this "enough" to raise a wire edge along the entire length of the blade, then switch everything to the other hand and do it on the other side. I'm getting consistent results this way, finally.

I'm not saying you should do this, but do feel free to experiment with different grips. It's all about the angle the blade makes with the stone. Anything that makes the angle repeatable from stroke to stroke will work. That's all the various sharpening machines really do.

Lastly, get a bunch of knives. I ate up the blade of my 710 practicing.

Hand sharpening is not easy for me. I'm sure others have gotten better, faster. But its satisying when you FINALLY get a shaving sharp edge by hand. Really. :-)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 391 Guests and 75 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.