Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#47804 - 09/01/05 02:51 AM Wal_mart pathetic!!!
Bugman37 Offline
journeyman

Wal-Mart has pleged 2 million dollars to help Katrina victims. WHAT A CROC!!!!! THEY MAKE THAT IN ONE HOUR. Time to boycott them if that's all they're willing to give back to the people that keep them in business!! I don't know about ya'll, but that makes me REAL mad.

Charles

#47805 - 09/01/05 08:16 AM Re: Wal_mart pathetic!!!
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
Not that I am a big fan of wally-world, but considering they don't have to give anything, 2 mil is quite kind. Before you get too pissed at them, look at which "US" companies aren't giving anything, and then boycot them. Remember, if everyone gives a little ( and to me 2 mil isn't a little) then there will be a lot for the folks who suffered at the hands of Katrina.

#47806 - 09/01/05 02:13 PM Re: Wal_mart pathetic!!!
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Don't make judgements based soley on dollar amounts, and besides, two million dollars is one hell of a lot of money even in a large corporation!!

I work for a large well-known U.S. corporation that has a three pronged approach to helping with the distaster:

1. They have already put into place millions of dollars worth of communication equipment now serving the police, national guard, and coast guard. This includes several large mobile communication stations and a large number of communication devices in the hands of rescuers RIGHT NOW.

2. They have donated a substantial amout of cash to the Red Cross.

3. They are matching dollar-for-dollar any amount that employees donate to the Red Cross.

Though it may surprise many, U.S. corporations are NOT knee deep in money. Many MANY of my good friends have been laid off in recent years in order for my company to even stay in business and continue to employ tens of thousands of people, including me. Ironically just about every one of those people have moved on to better employment situations because of it, so I don't feel so bad for them.

There are more ways for corporations to help the cause than just giving money. For individuals, I do think financial donations to the Red Cross are the best route though.

Walmart probably has one of the largest distribution networks in the world, and is almost certainly very actively involved in sending suppies to the disaster area.

#47807 - 09/01/05 06:52 PM Re: Wal_mart pathetic!!!
Hghvlocity Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma
It's unfortunate that you can't see past the dollar figure. They didn't have to donate anything.

What you should be asking is who is paying for all the gas that is being used up by choppers flying round the clock rescue missions for folks who refused to leave their homes?

Who is paying all the debts of those folks who are now homeless and job less? Do you think the mortgage companies and car companies are going to forgive those payments due today?

How would you like to be out of work, no place to live, no car to get away, no food, no water and then to know that you still have a payment on the house that is destroyed and a payment on the car that is swept away and no end in site.

Get some perspective. The fact that Wal-Mart is stepping up should give you cheer...you won't see any gas companies donating anything, no mortgage companies forgiving debts.

I just hope that the next time the weather forecasters tell people to GET OUT...that they head the warning.

#47808 - 09/02/05 05:14 AM Re: Chill out...
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

While I understand that a lot of folks are a bit emotional at this point, I suggest you step back and take a deep breath. If you want to boycott Wallyworld because the "only" gave 2 million bucks as their initial donation to this tragedy, that's your business, but this forum is not someplace where such hysterical calls to action are appropriate or appreciated.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#47809 - 09/02/05 07:54 PM Re: Chill out...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roger and echo that, Doug. People who are screaming and blaming aren't helping.

Mayor Nagin needs a muzzle, IMHO.

#47810 - 09/04/05 03:31 AM Re: Chill out...
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I am in Louisana at a red cross food distribution site. There have been long lines of semi-trailers delivering all sorts of stuff. Most of the semi's have wal-mart painted on the side. they, and many many other large corporations are donating huge amounts quietly, and efficiently. I understand much of the supply/distribution of supplies comes via the Wal-Mart "just in time" distribution system. It is one of the most efficient in the world and boy do we need it now.

Nomad

#47811 - 09/04/05 10:21 PM Re: Chill out...
Stu Offline
I am not a P.P.o.W.
Old Hand

Loc: Finger Lakes of NY State
Nice post....
I was told today by a wally mgr that the total so far is 1.500 trckloads of supplies.

#47812 - 09/05/05 02:20 PM Re: Wal_mart pathetic!!!
Vinosaur Offline
dedicated member

Loc: North Central IL
Just thought I would post an update. "Pathetic" Wal-Mart in addition to thier original 2 mil pledge has now given over 20 mil to the relief effort. 8 mil of that from the Walton family. Certainly sounds as if they don't want to give back to the people that support them.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (NAro, Ren), 444 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.