Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#37371 - 02/04/05 06:59 PM Good stuff, before they started improving it.
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
My first post to this forum.

Last weekend I was at WalMart and they had Gerber Multitools on clearance sale for $11 each. Bought 4, one for me and guess what Santa will be passing out at Christmas next year?

I rarely carry a multitool on my belt, but have one in the pack, fanny pack or tackle box when I am in the outdoors. I have a Leatherman PST, Buck Tool and now a new Gerber.

Last night I pulled all three out. They all have handles that are 4 inches with roughly the same number of goodies in the handles. While mine is not that old, the Leatherman PST model has been around for years (25 +, I think).

As I was looking at them, I was reminded of a comment my father made, ? That used to be good stuff, back before they started improving it.?

Gerber ?improved? on the old Leatherman by making the plies slide out of the handles rather than having it unfold. While this ?improvement? makes the Gerber easier to open with one hand, it also makes it bulkier and heavier. Buck?s ?improvement? was to make the handles swing sideways.

The Leatherman has a ruler marked on the handles. Gerber kept a shorter scale, but Buck did away with it completely. Since it does not add any weight or bulk, why not include a scale? I,for one, have found the ruler rather handy to have.

Both Gerber and Buck ?improved? the screwdrivers by making them shorter and stubbier. They should last longer that way, because you cannot use them on screws that are not on a fairly flush surface. Buck farther ?improved? the Phillip?s head by grinding part of it off.

The Gerber and Buck ?improved? the knife by adding serrations to half of the blade. The old Leatherman has a plain blade that is easier to sharpen. Buck went a step farther and added a second serrated blade to replace the file. Two knife blades and no file, now that is an ?improvement?!

The Gerber and Buck have added locks for the blades, which in theory is a good thing. However, a couple of weeks ago I sliced my thumb on the knife blade of the Buck trying to get to
one of those short, stubby screwdrivers. The locks, especially on the Buck, make it very stiff for opening the short tools that are buried in the center of the handle. There is no such thing as idiot proof. We idiots are too ingenious.

I do not mean to trash the Gerber or Buck. They are both good tools. I sure feel that I got more than my money?s worth with an $11 Gerber and am sure that my two Scouts will be happy to find them under the Christmas tree.

But, when I put my three multitools side by side and look at all of the new ones coming on the market (including the new and improved Leathermans), I still think the classic Leatherman was
pretty good, before they started improving it.

#37372 - 02/06/05 10:43 PM Re: Good stuff, before they started improving it.
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
I agree. I have purchased my share of multi-tools, but my very old Leatherman seems to be the one that gets the EDC nod.

Gee, I wonder how old it really is? Seems like I have had it forever. At least 15 years,

How many other tools survive the test of time like that? What do you carry that is over 15 years (or 10 or whatever) and appears to stand the "Test of Time" as a EDC or at least frequent carry???

The only things I can think of that are older is my .38 (Colt Agent Light weight 2" barrel pistol) and a whistle issued to me in the Air Force in '57. Oh, and a Silva compass. Still carry all when needed.

#37373 - 02/07/05 03:23 AM Re: Good stuff, before they started improving it.
Ron Offline

Loc: Georgia, USA
I have a Victorinox SAK that has been in my pocket every day for the last 25 years. I think it is the Spartan Model. Three and one-half inches , large blade, small blade, can opener, bottle opener, awl and cork screw. Tip of the can opener and bottle opener are screw drivers.

I carry a larger knife outdoors, but my SAK is always in my pocket. It is small enough that I have never had anyone object if I pulled it out around the office to open a box, clear a printer, or what ever. In the old days, I never had any problems getting on an airplane with it. These days, when I am in an airport and reach into my pocket and it is not there, it sort of feels like I am walking around without being fully dressed.

While mine is ONLY 25 years old, similar models have been around for over 100 years.

If I ever loose my old friend ( it doen't look like I am going to wear it out anytime soon), I might opt for the Tinkerer, same knife with a phillips screwdriver in place of the corkscrew. Of course, the corkscrew has been handy a few times.

So I will add the basic SAK to the list of good stuff before they started improving it. It does not replace a good lock-back or fixed blade when you can carry one. But, it is real handy to carry every day and anywhere, except airports.

#37375 - 02/07/05 05:29 AM Re: Good stuff, before they started improving it.
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Nomad:

That Colt Agent should be worth a little money as a collectors item. If you need a practical pistol, it seems a shame to risk a valuable collectors item like the Colt Agent.

Bountyhunter

#37376 - 02/14/05 01:25 PM Re: Good stuff, before they started improving it.
paulr Offline
Addict

The SAK Explorer is still my favorite EDC (in belt pack) knife. I'm not sure when I got the specific one that I'm carrying now since I've lost several of them over the years and usually ended up replacing them with the same model. I think I got my first one about 25 years ago. I've had various other SAK's, Leatherman PST, etc., but none seem to have the Explorer's practicality for me.

I've carried a UK 2L flashlight in my belt pack for about 10 years also.

My hiking boots (Asolo 535) are from summer 1993 and I still wear them all the time including as everyday shoes. I got them re-soled last year and it cost almost as much as new boots, but I don't know how I'd find another pair that's as comfy as these, so I went for the repair even though the uppers are getting worn-out as well. (I had to get a few holes patched at the time of the re-soling).

There's various other things that I'd still be carrying if I hadn't lost them, probably just like anyone.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (chaosmagnet, Doug_Ritter), 176 Guests and 65 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Silver
by brandtb
41 minutes 55 seconds ago
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.