Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#28200 - 06/09/04 10:52 PM Paypal; what is the good and bad dope on it?
bountyhunter Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
My father passed away March 5, 2004 at the young age of 90. I love him and I miss him, but at 90 years of age, he beat his family history by a big margin.

Mom is 84 and not doing well, so the end whether it be tomorrow or 10 years from tomorrow is near.

Between thier possesions and mine, there is a hell of a lot of stuff in this house that I will be putting on Ebay, Yahoo, and the local newspapers for sale and removal.

I want to go strictly with money orders, preferably US postal money orders, and/or direct wire transfers to my account for the items I sell electronically, and only cash will work for things I sell locally.

Some people really hate Paypal, some feel it is okay, and some won't pay you in any other way for Ebay sales.

I don't have a business (The knife sales I do are so small that it is considered a hobby by the Wisconsin Dept. of Taxation, but they still tax the income.), so credit cards are out, personal checks take too long to clear, and since the intent is to reduce clutter, I am not going to be doing any trading.

What do you personally like and dislike about Paypal and other than Paypal, how would you like to be able to pay for what you order on electronic auctions?

Thanks for any feedback.

Bountyhunter

#28201 - 06/09/04 11:16 PM Re: Paypal; what is the good and bad dope on it?
groo Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Florida
Well, here's the Bad, I suppose.

paypalwarning.com
Consumer Alert: Paypal problems
Template Monster battles Paypal problems

...lots more. Google "paypal problems". :-(

Sorry. Can't offer an alternative. If I were going to do this, I'd set up another checking account somewhere and give that to Paypal. Then I'd transfer money out of the account and into my regular checking account as often as necessary. The fact that Paypal can arbitrarily freeze an account, or take money back scares me.

Edit: Be sure to check out the "Wall of Shame" at www.paypalwarning.com. Just story after story of people getting ripped off.

Edited by groo (06/09/04 11:29 PM)

#28202 - 06/10/04 02:13 AM Re: Paypal; what is the good and bad dope on it?
ScottRezaLogan Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pttsbg SWestern Pa USA N-Amer....
Either Doug or Chris mentioned something about their Displeasure with Paypal, in a Recent Post. I Think its the one about "ETS Credit Card Sales Suspended". (on the Survival Forum, page 4 Right Now, -June 2004). [color:"black"] [/color] [email]groo[/email]

Edited by ScottRezaLogan (06/10/04 03:06 AM)

#28203 - 06/10/04 04:32 AM Re: Paypal; what is the good and bad dope on it?
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Doug did, and I second the sentiment. PAYPAL took my 100% EBAY rating and trashed it through non payment of my funds to several sellers.

#28204 - 06/10/04 06:30 AM Re: Paypal; what is the good and bad dope on it?
NY RAT Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: brooklyn, ny
i used ebay for a long time, i only pay by money orders (which if lost your still screwed out of $10 to trace it).

ive heard nothing but bad news from people using paypal, only other options i saw on ebay were:
bidpoint
i think one was called echeck (cant remember now)
direct pay (it comes from their bank account)

hope that helps some.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle, NAro), 354 Guests and 88 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.