Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#6211 - 05/10/02 10:17 PM YOU BE THE JUDGE
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey folks, happy Friday<br><br>It seems to ALWAYS happen that the case goes to the jury on a Friday--late afternoon, so now we wait most of the night for a verdict. So, the facts are:<br><br>Defendant (26 year old male Hispanic) is intoxicated. Drives to a "friends" house to show off his new .22 Marlin. Throws a beer bottle on the neighbors lawn. Neighbor(40ish white male) becomes enraged and screams various epithets (including racial slurs). Verbal dispute continues and worsens. Defendant states "I am going to shoot your ass." Defendant goes to car, uncases Marlin, Loads Marlin and approaches neighbor. Neighbor (showing sense for the first time that evening) starts running like hell. Defendant chases and pops off two "warning" shots "over the head" of neighbor. Undisputed that there was no intent to kill. Defendant is charged with First Degree Recklessly Endangering Saftey showing utter disregard for life (Class D --10 year felony with a 5 year penalty enhancer for use of a firearm). Defendant argues that he is guilty only of disorderly conduct and reckless use of a weapon (misdemeanor--9 months) after presenting the testimony of his cousin that the weapon was pointed strait in the air--not at the 30-45 degree angle alleged and testified to by neighbor. Case came in pretty routinely (with brilliant cross-exam of defendant by the prosecutor--ahem, whom(who?) shall remain nameless), but no real surprises. So.....it is 4:55 p.m. CDT Friday, jury went out at at 4:35. Closest guess as to when the jury comes back and with what verdict wins the prize! Prize will be a $25 donation to ETS in the name of the winner. Vote early and often! And feel sorry for me sitting at my desk on a beautiful Friday evening ...<br><br>Robb<br><br><br>NOW would be REALLY nice to have a chat feature!

#6212 - 05/10/02 10:38 PM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
Anonymous
Unregistered

So on this fine friday with great weather, we are all supposed to get stuck inside waiting with you? <br><br>I will guess that the defendant gets off with the 9 month offense and the Jury will return in under 3 hours. This is fairly simple and the jury will be getting hungry around 8:00 CDT. If it goes past 9:00 I will vote that the Jury will go with the harsher crime. They will be grumpy that they had to miss dinner with their families.

#6213 - 05/11/02 01:01 AM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
Ade Offline
Enthusiast

Robb,<br><br>He'll get the minimum, assuming it's a first offense. Where is the world that Heinlein envisioned? I long for the day.<br><br>Andy

#6214 - 05/11/02 01:38 AM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
Chris Kavanaugh Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A .22 fired at any angle is a lethal projectile with over a mile range. People die or are injured every new years by celebratory discharging of firearms. I am concerned about the descriptions as a male hispanic and a white male. Did the neighbor willingly come out before or after the beer bottle was thrown and his friend's intoxicated state known? If so, he contributed to the confrontation. What ethnicity is this "white guy?" It's a racial stereotype that latinos get drunk and machismo. I bet the nieghbor was Irish. you know, quick to anger and fight. I bet he was one of THOSE PEOPLE ;O) Oh, felony, conviction 815P.M.

#6215 - 05/11/02 02:19 AM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
Neanderthal Offline
newbie member

Loc: Pennsylvania
Perhaps 15 years is a little harsh, but the "crime" is certainly more than a misdemeanor. The defendant, at the very least, intended to scare the living H out of the "victum". Intent deserves more than misdemeanor punishment. ________________________________________________ Proverbs 21:19

PROVERBS 21:19

#6216 - 05/11/02 06:08 PM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a prosecutor myself, sounds like a slam dunk on the Felony Reckless. I forgot to note where you were from, but here I think your Defendant probably would draw some prison, assuming he hit someone.<br><br>I say your jury will be out two hours. It's always a crap shoot.

#6217 - 05/11/02 06:15 PM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
Anonymous
Unregistered

PRETTY CLOSE CHRIS! <br>Jury came back at 7:55 guilty of the felony First Degree Reckless. I probably should have included that the jury is not aware of the possible penalties or even whether the charge is a felony or misdemeanor before their verdict. And NO ONE ever gets the max--or even close to it. I have seen that only twice in 15 years. More likely probation and short jail, even though a prior or two. Sentencing is June 12--I'll let you know.<br><br>So 25.00 has already been donated in your name Chris. I'll check back for advice at the next trial!<br><br>Robb

#6218 - 05/11/02 06:21 PM Re: YOU BE THE JUDGE
AndyO Offline

Loc: Jawja
I always presumed that if I were to brandish, much less fire a weapon out of anger or intoxication and not in pure defense of life, I would be rightfully convicted of a felony and would go to the pen. Where am I going wrong?

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.