The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#299834 - 08/28/21 11:09 PM DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
A Japanese lady reveals everything she has in a survival kit she built.

While she could use a plastic bag for storing water, I didn't see anything she could use to purify water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdQmKzNcViQ

For those who don't know, it's illegal to carry a knife in Japan. At least she has scissors.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299838 - 08/29/21 02:03 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow, that's a lot of stuff! But probably appropriate for earthquake emergencies. Very smart having a hard cat! It can save your life to have a helmet of some kind in some situations.

#299839 - 08/29/21 07:04 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
It seems to be thought out well and is well organized. The kit contains I would not include in mine and does not contain some I include. OTOH earth quakes are not likely in my neck of the woods and available infrastructure may go into the planning. Obviously she used an officially issued brochure for her preparation.
At around 8:30 you can see that she a SAK style pocket knife dangling from the zipper pull.

#299840 - 08/29/21 11:57 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Phaedrus]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Very smart having a hard cat! It can save your life to have a helmet of some kind in some situations.

The Japanese are very safety conscious. I see videos where people wear hard hats even in situations I see as unnecessary.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299841 - 08/29/21 12:08 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: M_a_x]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
At around 8:30 you can see that she a SAK style pocket knife dangling from the zipper pull.

I see it. Since the lady did not cover it, we don't know what features it has. There may be SAK-like tools that are legal in Japan.

I don't know what the law in Japan says. In a different country, Isreal, carrying a fixed-blade knife or a folder with a locking blade is not legal. However, a folder with a non-locking blade is legal.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299856 - 08/30/21 02:05 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Ren Offline
Addict

Loc: Wales, UK
Japanese knife laws look to be similar to those here in the UK.

Perfectly fine to EDC a non locking folding knife with blade less than 3" (8cm in Japan)

So medium SAKs (upto 91mm) that don't lock are fine.

#299866 - 09/01/21 02:45 AM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Acropolis50 Offline
Journeyman

Jeanette I. : Very interesting post by that Japanese woman prepper. Very good, what I’m sure, was a mostly “ first & inexperienced effort”. I suggest you read Pom Pom’ very useful reply & suggestions. I added a few suggestions as well.

In times past, we used to get non - USA prepper kit posters , but, alas, no more. Anyone have any ideas we could use to fix that void. Know any prep foreign blogs we could formally invite to share kits, contents, prep issues, with us?

#300452 - 11/29/21 06:39 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
For those who don't know, it's illegal to carry a knife in Japan. At least she has scissors.

This is not precisely true. It is legal to carry a non-locking knife with a blade less than 60 mm. The typical Victorinox Classic SD size is legal to carry. A carried knife must be concealed--you cannot, for instance, hang a Classic SD on your keychain dangling from your belt or handbag, but you can have it in your pocket.

Otherwise, you have to have a definite purpose for transporting any knife outside your home. Camping qualifies (that is to say *actually going camping*, just like in the UK, not carrying it around "just in case you decide to go camping"), and there are exceptions for tool kits, cooking equipment, and fishing equipment. However, I would highly recommend not pushing your luck, as you definitely want to avoid negative interactions with police in Japan.

Even inside your own home, you can't have a non-cooking knife with a blade longer than 150 mm without a special permit from the prefectural public safety commission.

#300453 - 11/29/21 06:40 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Ren]
amper Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: US
Originally Posted By: Ren
Japanese knife laws look to be similar to those here in the UK.

Perfectly fine to EDC a non locking folding knife with blade less than 3" (8cm in Japan)

So medium SAKs (upto 91mm) that don't lock are fine.

The limit is 6 cm. You can carry up to an 8 cm blade *if* you get a permission slip from the prefectural public safety commission. Anything larger is banned completely.

#300455 - 11/29/21 07:15 PM Re: DIY Survival Kit for the Japanese Environment [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

That sounds horrible eek

Edited by Burncycle (11/29/21 07:15 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 301 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.