Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#299521 - 07/27/21 10:50 PM Housing Bubble
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Mom, who's watching the housing bubble, regularly checks the value of our house. The current value is $14,000, shy of being double what we paid in 2014.

Anyone else watching the housing bubble? How much has the value of your house go up?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299522 - 07/28/21 02:09 AM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My value of my house has increased, but I don't discuss specifics. How is this topic relevant to ETS?

#299523 - 07/28/21 03:36 AM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I'm sure it's got to be worth more than $14,000

I don't watch house prices. It makes absolutely zero matter, ... until you actually SELL your house. It's like the stock market. on Monday ... I'M RICH! On Tuesday, I'M BROKE! On Wednesday, I'M RICH AGAIN! Totally meaningless until you sell your position.

#299524 - 07/28/21 11:44 AM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
How is this topic relevant to ETS?

It's a guess, but the inflated housing prices may impact us in other areas.

Jeanette Isabelle

#299525 - 07/28/21 12:07 PM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: haertig]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: haertig

I said, "$14,000 shy of being double."

I will not use actual numbers but let's let X represent the house's value when we bought it in 2014. Let's let Y represent X doubled.

2X = Y

If Z is the current value, we will get Z by subtracting $14,000 from Y.

Y - $14,000 = Z

In other words:

2X - $14,000 = Z

Do you follow?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299526 - 07/28/21 02:24 PM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
pforeman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Iowa
yup... Jeanette Isabelle brings up a good point that there is a 'bubble' and cites her experience with it and the current state she perceives it to be in.

As for why that should concern our fellow readers -
A fiscal bubble on any level can result in an impact on personal and public services. The "dot com" bubble had a huge impact on jobs, people on a personal level had a 'personal disaster' effect on individuals who then had to cope when it popped.

Following the ideas of being prepared should (and does in my view) go beyond being able to survive the weekend in the woods and include surviving a local disaster - storms etc. that impact us. Such events can cause a loss of shelter and require us to survive on what we've prepared with to accommodate such an event. A housing bubble bursting may cause significant levels of fiscal or personal shelter type of disaster that one will need to fall back on emergency preps to "survive" the impact.

Gathering information and looking for ways to mitigate the impact of such fiscal/social events as a housing bubble bursting should be worth exploring.

In our case we've built up equity and are on track to have our housing paid in full in a few years - a bubble burst on housing will reduce the value of one of our largest personal possessions which would alter our ongoing living arrangements and to an unknown degree. If the "bank" called the loan due next month we would have to sell... thus the concern.

Edit to add: To answer her question, our area seems to be stable and the values of the homes in our specific neighborhood are only up a bit over the last ten years - the newer homes just west of here however have jumped in price a lot and the brand new construction is way higher only a few blocks away.

Edited by pforeman (07/28/21 02:27 PM)

#299527 - 07/28/21 02:43 PM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: pforeman]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Let's just say that residential real estate has historically been a good investment in most areas, generally outpacing the rate of overall inflation.

I have always thought that ETS was focused more om 'dramatic" survival - fires, earthquakes, floods, and the like, as opposed to 'mundane' survival - getting through the day, month, or year with resources intact or at least not badly ravaged

#299528 - 07/28/21 02:52 PM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: hikermor]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
I have always thought that ETS was focused more om 'dramatic" survival - fires, earthquakes, floods, and the like, as opposed to 'mundane' survival - getting through the day, month, or year with resources intact or at least not badly ravaged

Survival is survival.

If you want something "dramatic," how about a financial crisis triggering a riot?

Jeanette Isabelle

#299530 - 07/28/21 05:54 PM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Any riot, irrespective of its root cause, certainly qualifies.

As for the other category, it is simply living a well ordered life.

#299531 - 07/28/21 06:09 PM Re: Housing Bubble [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: haertig

I said, "$14,000 shy of being double."

Ah, OK. The extra comma in the original sentence gives it a different meaning. I was thinking of starting a GoFundMe page to move you out of your shack. wink

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.