Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#291578 - 01/09/19 12:39 PM Canned meat
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
This topic pops up from time to time, but I wanted to draw attention to a canned meat option available to those with a Walmart nearby, or that shop online for food.

The line of Keystone canned meats carried by Walmart is a quality product. There are 4 varieties that I know of...beef, pork, turkey, and chicken. Each can contains 28 ounces (9 servings they say) of cooked meat with a little salt. That's all. Each has a shelf life of about 4 years.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=keyston%20canned%20meat

Because we have celiac disease in our house, prepping is more of a challenge, as all grain-based or cross contaminated foods are not an option. This effectively rules out Wise or Mountain House types of long storage foods.

This canned meat along with water, cooking oil, rice, beans, tomato sauce, etc forms the core of our shelf stable emergency food supply.

#291579 - 01/09/19 03:18 PM Re: Canned meat [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Maybe two years back - in what turned out to be a very successful effort to lose weight - we changed our eating habit to include MUCH less carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, ...) and more eggs, meats, fruits, and vegetables.

Now we have turkey or lite ham SPAM just about every morning for breakfast - diced & fried with scrambled eggs, with diced onions & peppers. I know it is processed, but it is quite tasty and lasts a long long time on the shelf.

We also like canned ham - usually the smaller or mid-size cans, and the canned chicken is great in salads.

We don't so much have a stash of emergency food as much as have a fair amount of shelf-friendly food in our kitchen, and quite a bit frozen food in the freezer (clearly a concern if power goes out in summer). In our retirement home we have a whole house backup generator running on natural gas, so we should be good to go for a pretty long while.

Water comes from a well, and with the generator should be no issue.

The only think I can imagine that would cause a problem is a major earthquake, and those are just not common in the north mid west U.S. If there was a forest fire, then in the short term we're hitting the road with major credit cards, and not likely to be hauling much food.

#291580 - 01/09/19 04:58 PM Re: Canned meat [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

A (rather boring tasting) option would be NRG-5 ZERO Emergency Food Rations for long term, buy and forget option, for people with celiac disease.

#291582 - 01/09/19 06:38 PM Re: Canned meat [Re: Tjin]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Thanks Tjin. I'm going to order some and ask my wife to try it.

#291613 - 01/11/19 04:34 PM Re: Canned meat [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Good job KenK!

#291620 - 01/12/19 03:52 AM Re: Canned meat [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
Byrd.. have you looked into self pressure canning in glass Mason/Ball jars with an All American Pressure canner?...initial expense but they have a good reputation for longevity...

#291624 - 01/13/19 10:02 PM Re: Canned meat [Re: LesSnyder]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

I have a dehydrator, but I haven't tried to can meat myself. I have had beef pressure canned by others and it is surprisingly good and keeps a long time. I have seen the large American-made pressure cookers. They are so well machined that they require no seals or gaskets. As you say though, they are pricey...

#291625 - 01/13/19 10:49 PM Re: Canned meat [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Jackie Clay is both entertaining and incredibly knowledgeable, I would recommend anyone who is interested in canning -- especially canning meat -- to check out her writings at https://www.backwoodshome.com/canning-101/. No affiliation.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.