Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#290558 - 09/16/18 06:35 AM Doug Ritter is famous!
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Woot! Check out this article on Doug and his advocacy work for Knife Rights! Granted, it's kind of full of misinformation and half truths at times but overall it explains his efforts. What do they always say- just spell my name right? grin

#290559 - 09/16/18 12:51 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Good share. Aggravating article.

#290560 - 09/16/18 01:02 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was just about to post this as well. Could you discuss the "misinformation and half truths' a bit more in detail. Knives have sharp edges and can be misused? So can hammers, and frying pans, and baseball bats, and on and on....

Edited by hikermor (09/16/18 04:04 PM)

#290561 - 09/16/18 01:42 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, good read although the author does seem to be trying to be objective, especially regarding the lady in Texas who lost her son. It is tragic when anyone loses their child, but that doesn’t mean we need to restrict rights to possibly prevent a reoccurrence. However, the author’s bias is readily apparent in the first paragraph...
Quote:
LAS VEGAS —He ordered the 20-ounce rib-eye, and so the waitress at the upscale restaurant dropped off a wood-handled serrated steak knife. Doug Ritter ignored it. Instead he pulled out a folding knife, its 3.4-inch blade illegal to carry concealed here in Clark County. ...

The article makes it appear that Doug was carrying the knife concealed, but was DR carrying the knife concealed as defined by law? I carry and have carried (in LV) a 3.4” Benchmade 940 — right front pocket clipped so that only the butt and clip are showing; at least in CA that qualifies as not concealed. I’m not familiar with LV, NV law, but is it in fact illegal to carry a folding knife concealed...

#290563 - 09/16/18 04:18 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I was just about to post this as well. Could you discuss the "misinformation and half truths' a bit more in detail. Knives have sharp edges and can be misused? So can hammers, and frying pans, and baseball bats, and on and on....

My read of the article was that comparing Knife Rights to the NRA was intended to horrify and alarm the good folk, among other invidious comparisons and statements. Suffice it to say that I don't agree with the article's slant.

#290564 - 09/16/18 04:54 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Yeah, the implication seemed to me to be that under cover of darkness all kinds of 'evil knives' were secretly being legalized. Longish article so I could have missed it, but absent was the fact that many mundane blades are legally being misclassified as 'gravity knives' when they're not. Still, exposure is exposure.

#290565 - 09/16/18 05:29 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

What caught my eye immediately was the 20 oz. rib eye...I can dissect an 8 oz and ask for a box - twenty oz would be at least four or five entrees.

About legal carry - I learned something. I carry illegal (in CA) most of the time, my Skeletool CX riding deep in my right hand cargo pocket, and I'll bet I am not the only perp in this state. Doug may or may not have been carrying legally, but it is a pretty minor issue, typically invoked when someone is detained for some other reason...

Regarding the NRA, whatever you might think about them, they are one of the most effective lobbying organizations around...Why not follow their playbook? People who don't like the NRA may react negatively, so what?

I thought there was a pretty good discussion of the media-related demonizing of various types of knives, as well as coverage of the civil rights slant on selective enforcement against minorities, an issue of real concern to all of us.

The article mention figures on firearm use in fatalities, as well as knives, but did not relate those to overall homicide stats, which would have improved the article. How do knives stand in relationship to all the other means of killing? poisoning, for instance...

I am always a bit suspicious of articles which simply flatter and praise, and I thought this one to be a reasonable treatment of the subject. I didn't get any kind of "under cover of darkness" tactics - just straightforward legislative lobbying, pretty common nowadays.

What is so often overlooked in discussions of this type, is that it truly is not the article itself, whether knife or gun, which commits the act, but the person wielding it. How do manage those, and yet maintain constitutional freedoms? There's a really knotty problem!

#290570 - 09/16/18 06:34 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Thanks!

Just for the record, it was a bone-in rib-eye so a whole lot less than 20 oz. of steak to eat. And, we all ordered the same thing, FWIW.

As for the "misinformation and half truths," we are working up a write up of the most egregious of those.

Considering how badly this article could have gone, given the source and how it started out, we are quite pleased that from our perspective, it is mostly positive for us and was worth the 3 weeks of effort we put in to educating the reporter.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#290575 - 09/16/18 08:14 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Looking forward to your comments....

#290577 - 09/16/18 09:37 PM Re: Doug Ritter is famous! [Re: Phaedrus]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
On the positive side, the article did make me want to go out and buy another knife, and a ribeye! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.