Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#288814 - 04/25/18 12:33 AM Abject Failure
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I ran across a well sealed (so I thought) packet of matches that I had prepared about twenty years ago. Stored for a while in a hiking staff, the capsule had been sitting out in an occasionally wet environment - a very leaky shed.

I opened the capsule and tried the matches. Bleached white, they didn't even give a hint of sparking, although I had included the abrasive strip from the original match box in the capsule .Also a total failure was a match with a lacquered head.

Maybe it is worthwhile to check more frequently than every twenty years or so....And while you are at it, check the edibility of whatever food you might have stashed....

#288816 - 04/25/18 12:56 AM Re: Abject Failure [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Yes, every 20 years or so is probably a bit too long.

#288818 - 04/25/18 02:00 AM Re: Abject Failure [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Old matches are a quirky lot. Incantations and/or cursing are part of the ritual.

"Strike anywhere" are the first to turn into "strike all you want, you will not get flame."

Wooden safety matches are slightly more robust. If you dry them out well, you may have a chance. (Actually, if you tuck a safety match striker strip with your strike-anywhere gear, your chances of flame increase greatly. Being wise, of course, you will fold the striker strip in on itself, and maybe wrap it in something.)

But the unlikely winner in the longevity contest is the paper matchbook. I kid you not. I have been consistently amazed at their toughness. I have have seen them fully immersed, dried out, and functional. They come out of the bottom of toolboxes from half a century ago, and it you dry them out, they light right up. And if you cut right down through the paper base, and use four at a time, you actually have a respectable fire-lighting match.

Now, I confess there is a Bic mini in my pocket at all times, and it consistently gives me flame on demand.

But I regularly snag paper matches for free -- from weddings 40+ years ago, when everybody smoked their brains out, and where embossed matchbooks were considered high-toned bling.

#288819 - 04/25/18 02:52 AM Re: Abject Failure [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
OTOH the Bic lighter I found on a frosted park lawn a few winters back still works fine. Matches have their place...

#288822 - 04/25/18 02:29 PM Re: Abject Failure [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I am a fan of redundancy when it comes to lighting a fire. Bics are great and I now have mine in waterproof, protective containers. My kit also includes waterproof matches in a high end container (Exotac) which is ridiculously expensive, but very secure and waterproof, with interior and exterior striking surfaces. And then there are ferro rod combinations, one of which goes along as well. I especially like my Mora LMF knife, with the ferro rod contained in the hilt - works great for lighting gas stoves.

I have discarded kitchen matches and use the various types with excess ignition material. My standard day hike kit includes a Bic, matches in the Exotac, and the Mora knife, with a wee bit if tinder included.

If I can find water and light a fire I will not be dreadfully unhappy when out and about....

#288823 - 04/25/18 04:20 PM Re: Abject Failure [Re: Russ]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
OTOH the Bic lighter I found on a frosted park lawn a few winters back still works fine. Matches have their place...

Love my Bics too, and wouldn't be without one (or two or three).

Longevity is a real issue, though. Mostly it's about exposure to moisture over time, making the flint swell and fail. When kept in airtight packaging, they seem to last in storage for an almost indefinite period.

#288827 - 04/26/18 01:21 PM Re: Abject Failure [Re: dougwalkabout]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Originally Posted By: Russ

Love my Bics too, and wouldn't be without one (or two or three).

Longevity is a real issue, though. Mostly it's about exposure to moisture over time, making the flint swell and fail. When kept in airtight packaging, they seem to last in storage for an almost indefinite period.

Agreed. Extending off this question, is the same true for tinder? I keep some of those Weber fire cubes on hand, and unless repackaged, they die in a year or two. Are there tinder types that keep well/better?

#288828 - 04/26/18 02:58 PM Re: Abject Failure [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

IME, the Coghlans waterproof fire sticks are basically indestructible. It's a fibre material impregnated with wax. It's easy to break/cut off a chunk, so one stick can make quite a lot of fires.

One of these is always in pack and pocket when I'm off road. They have taken swims in rivers and gone through the washing machine without apparent damage.

I haven't tried lighting one of these with a fire steel -- it may be necessary to fluff up a bit of the material to provide a spot for the sparks to take hold.

Would desert heat melt the wax (all over you and your gear)? Unknown. Wrapping in plastic might be prudent.

#288829 - 04/26/18 08:28 PM Re: Abject Failure [Re: hikermor]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
ESBIT are virtually immortal, too.

#288840 - 04/28/18 06:05 PM Re: Abject Failure [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am a fan of the Esbit tabs. If you crush them up, they will ignite with a spark, if it is a strong spark. They come in at least 3 different sizes and form factors, which makes them more applicable for survival kits.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 173 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
What did you do today to prepare?
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/06/24 06:18 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
China and Taiwan
by brandtb
02/19/24 02:18 PM
No More Ritter Knives?
by KenK
02/19/24 01:33 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.