Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#287594 - 01/04/18 04:06 AM Micro Photon and food spoilage
Bingley Offline
Veteran

OK, two separate topics, but I'm feeling lazy.

1. Micro Photon

My Micro Photon's batteries are giving out, so naturally that's a chance for me to (1) replace the batteries, and (2) consider updating it by buying another one. I notice that some models come with a sleeve around the LED, to protect it and to eliminate side scatter. My Micro Photon has survived my pocket and many drops (with the rest of keychain) for nearly a decade. So I don't think I need it for protection. What about the side scatter? I don't think the little sleeve will intensity the light. It will simply block the light rays going sideways. Is that a big plus? If so, under what conditions?

Second, I started reading about the debate of light colors. Apparently people are preferring green over red for saving night vision these days. But then the more important thing is not to have a light source that is too bright -- no matter what color, a light that is too bright will make you lose your night vision, forcing your eyes to take time to readjust. Does color make a difference for the Micro Photon? Is it too bright?

Links in case anyone is interested, here are two links I read: Dough Kniffen,Astrolight for Visual Work, or Go for the Green, which is cited in Bryan Black, Navigating the Dark: How to Preserve Your Night Vision.

2. Food Spoilage

So this is stupid. I bought some groceries, and I left them out in this weather for 9 hours in my trunk. Can I still eat it? The groceries include: seal-packed raw chicken (no air in the pack) and frozen dinners.

Today was sunny, and the temperature outside was between 45 and 35 degrees F. (Yeah, it's warm where I live.) The car was parked under direct sun for all that time. (Just forgot about my groceries, and it took me 9 hours to remember.) Since refrigeration is supposed to be around 36-38 degrees F, I feel like I should be OK. I'm not a restaurant or anything, and I'm not looking for legal advice obviously. But I'd appreciate a "don't do it!!!" if you see danger.

#287596 - 01/04/18 04:47 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Bryan Black's comments are in line with my experience in walking outdoors at night, something very frequent in SAR. Ideally, as twilight deepens, one just keeps going, and if there are lots of stars, or even just a bit of moon, you may not need any supplemental illumination at all. There are critical exceptions, of course.

Most of the time, I was following a trail, and I found that my feet could tell me when I had strayed from the trail tread. In fairly dense vegetation, you could look up and observe an open lane in the trees which would let you know you were headed right. It really helps if you have been on the trail before and have some notion of where it is going.

On occasion, we were tracking at night, which has its advantages, but we always used the lowest light possible to bring out sign.

On the food thing, I would cook (thoroughly!!) the chicken and refrigerate, not freeze, the dinners. Probably best to thoroughly cook them as well.

Remember that my guidance is worth every penny you paid for it. Mrs. Hikermor is much more conservative than me. She would probably pitch the lot. I don't do that until green slime is oozing from the packages.

#287598 - 01/04/18 05:06 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Mrs. Hikermor is much more conservative than me. She would probably pitch the lot. I don't do that until green slime is oozing from the packages.

Would Mrs Hikermor throw out your spoiled dates? Or do you still get to eat them up? laugh

Seriously -- why refrigerate rather than freezing the dinners? Also, I bought a lot of chicken. It'd probably take me two weeks to eat it all. I was just going to freeze it all. Then thaw and cook small batches at a time. I guess thorough cooking is the key.

Edited by Bingley (01/04/18 08:46 AM)

#287604 - 01/04/18 11:46 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
We got red filters for our torches in the army, since for obvious reasons soldiers would rather not show a light and try to preserve their night vision.
BUT under a red light; red lines on the map aren't visible. I went for red for my own use. There aren't many red things in the woods I'll be worse off for missing. A lot of green things.

qjs

#287609 - 01/04/18 02:41 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

As I understand it, refreezing will disrupt the texture of the food - may not be a consideration, depending upon how the food is dished up.

Spoiled dates are a different kind of thing. They are not allowed in the house or on the grounds, per Mrs. Hikermor. Haven't had any spoiled dates since Mrs. Hikermor came into my life....

#287610 - 01/04/18 02:57 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

cook it then refreeze it. No matter how bad the meat has gotten, if it is cooked well enough it will be safe to eat.

Edited by Montanero (01/04/18 02:58 PM)

#287611 - 01/04/18 04:02 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Bingley
... Second, I started reading about the debate of light colors. Apparently people are preferring green over red for saving night vision these days. But then the more important thing is not to have a light source that is too bright -- no matter what color, a light that is too bright will make you lose your night vision, forcing your eyes to take time to readjust. Does color make a difference for the Micro Photon? Is it too bright?

Links in case anyone is interested, here are two links I read: Dough Kniffen,Astrolight for Visual Work, or Go for the Green, which is cited in Bryan Black, Navigating the Dark: How to Preserve Your Night Vision. ...

Where to start... First, the writer is primarily interested in night vision for Astronomy/Star Gazing, which is not a universal interest when it comes to night vision. Second, in one of the links there is a statement that reads:
Quote:
...Conventional wisdom dictates that your chosen, appropriate, source of illumination should be primarily red although spectrally pure red is even better. The conventional wisdom is wrong! Millions of observers are unnecessarily compromising their night vision each time they use a red light to read their charts. Why? Because monochromatic red light must be many times brighter than polychromatic green before we can see with it. ...
...Much of the myth has certainly been supported by the existence of numerous studies showing red light, of a given intensity, has less effect on night vision than other colors. While this is true, a light source that has the least effect on night vision is not the same thing as a light source that will allow visual perception at the lowest possible level of illumination. ...
It’s a cones & rods thing within the human eye. The Rods and Cones of the Human Eye

Human eye color receptors are less sensitive to red and are very sensitive to blue. Green sensitivity falls between the two. He uses less green light because the human eye doesn’t need an intense green. However, it doesn’t take a lot of blue or green to desensitize the rods. When the human eye is subjected to blue & green, the rods are suppressed/turned off and it takes time to bring back that rod sensitivity once gone. Red does not have the same effect, so with a red light, your rods can continue to function receiving the all those shades of gray between light & shadow.

It takes what, 20 minutes sitting in the dark to bring your rods up to an acceptable level of night vision sensitivity and this guy then wants us to use a green light? Try it yourself. Get your eyes nicely night adjusted and then use a red light to read a book. Turn off the light and see if your eyes are still night adjusted. Then do it with a green light...

One of my favorite lights for night vision is a FourSevens 1xAAA Atom that emits two levels of red, Moonlight and Low. With night adjusted eyes, the moonlight level of red is all you need for close-in work.

FWIW

#287613 - 01/04/18 06:20 PM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
FWIW, I'd cook the chicken as plainly flavoured as you can, and then re-freeze it in portions. You can add flavor when you thaw it later to re-cook.

My 10 year old micro photon is orange. I've always just used it as a brief light in the night, without worrying much about my night vision, though I did figure orange was a good compromise between white and red lights.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#287619 - 01/05/18 01:08 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I guess I'm just unlucky... I've had a couple Photons (real ones) and had problems with switches on them both... the Fenix E01 and later E05 have served me much better... I didn't notice the purple tint to the E01 until someone complained about it on a forum... to me a light is a light

#287623 - 01/05/18 04:37 AM Re: Micro Photon and food spoilage [Re: LesSnyder]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

"to me a light is a light" - I am with you on that, but it is enlightening to read the in depth discussions about cool, neutral, and warm light, CRI, various alleged tints, etc.But then, I don't have an educated nose when it comes to wine....

After wrestling with some of the junk I have used in the past, I am very happy that light, any light, emerges when I mash on the switch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.