Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#283134 - 12/29/16 12:11 AM Back from 2+ year Walkabout.
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Well, not a literal walkabout, but family and work and more have conspired to give me little or no spare time for a few years.

I see that it's been a little over 2 years since I last posted. Wow, long time. Still moderating (now and then) behind the scenes. In real life, I've been traveling quite a bit to places quite far away and quite unlike the USA. I've met some great people who have lived through some incredible, horrible, stuff in the not to distant past and I've seen how they live today. It was incredibly informative.

As a result, I've taken a step back and evaluated what, exactly, I was trying to accomplish with all my flashlights, paracord, fire starters and all the rest.
In short, for the overwhelming majority of people, I see much more value and utility in a working Smartphone, Charging Cables, Charged USB Battery Packs, Sterno, Canned Food, A well stocked first aid kit and plenty of water than I do in Fire Starters, Fishing Kits, Signal Mirrors and "live off the land" stuff like that.

So I'm going to try to stop in more often and participate a bit, with a perspective that's - perhaps - a little orthogonal to the views that folks here have.

See you in the main sections.

#283135 - 12/29/16 12:47 AM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Welcome back! I was wondering just the other day what was up with M F. It has indeed been a long time since you posted.

Orthogonal perspective!! Sounds like the classic naval maneuver "crossing the T."

Edited by hikermor (12/29/16 12:48 AM)

#283140 - 12/29/16 02:29 AM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Welcome back. You have stories from the field. Please share them.

#283144 - 12/29/16 02:50 AM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Glad to have you back. For myself, you'll find that the more everyday preps that you describe are the bulk of what most people need to be doing.

#283149 - 12/29/16 05:07 AM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Welcome back!

#283152 - 12/29/16 02:52 PM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Welcome back!

For people who live in heavily populated areas with reliable cell service, relying on smart phones may be the best option. For those who live in the fringe areas - with less than reliable cell phone service - a PLB would be a good option.

Like you, I have really "thinned out" my thinking over the years. I've come to the philosophy that less is OK, and that my priorities are (1) calling for help via phone or PLB, and (2) surviving until help arrives via staying in the vehicle, shelter, and having sufficient protective clothing, etc, ...

Still, there is value in folks learning how to be safe in the outdoors, such as planning ahead, letting someone know where you go and when you should arrive, constantly knowing where you are so you don't suddenly find ourself lost, and being realistic about your capability.

#283154 - 12/29/16 03:34 PM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Good to have you back, Martin!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#283170 - 12/29/16 07:19 PM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Welcome back, Martin. Interested to here more backstory about how and why your preparedness perspective has evolved.

It's not either/or for me as I want to be prepared for urban (where I live) and rural (where I visit and drive through) situations.

Just re-stocked batteries this week because last weekend my neighborhood experienced the fourth extended power outage since August. Infrastructure problems, apparently, related to rapid development that the local utilities can't handle.

#283184 - 12/30/16 02:01 AM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: Dagny]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
"Interested to here more backstory about how and why your preparedness perspective has evolved."

Some of places I've been and the people I met there give me so much of a better perspective on what it means to be "prepared" for all kinds of things.

In particular:
Ukraine - huge recent protests, all that Russian stuff in the east, not so long ago collapse of soviet union. They were burning furniture in improvised wood stoves in their apartments to stay warm just one generation ago. A great perspective on what is possible and necessary to deal with a terrible urban situation.

Belarus - actual current totalitarian state, wildly devalued currency, all of the economic chaos of the former soviet union lingers. Learned a great deal about how to get what you need when you can't buy or own what you need.

Cypress - a civil war that kind of just slowed to a halt and left a UN buffer zone between two nations. Great food and surreal to walk through the gates from the Greek to the Turkish side. Learned that conflict zones can have great tea.

London - all the things that are London. There will always be a London. My corporate apartment there was damaged in WWII, was damaged by the IRA bombings and is over one of the 2005 bombing tube stations. People in London have seen some things and have a point of view that is downright cool.

Los Angeles - wildfires, earthquakes, mudslides, etc.. I stay with a friend there who is in a lovely home, in a lovely area, in massive wildfire risk area. It's wonderful to be there. He always has a bag packed.

New York - all the things that make New York what New York is. I used to live in Manhattan. New Yorkers are annoyed by terrorism, not scared of it.

In these travels, I started to question my role in an emergency, got more realistic about what I can do (or not) and what my intentions are for carrying all that stuff.

In short - you don't need much, you won't get to use much, and what you do use will be simple.

#283192 - 12/30/16 03:25 PM Re: Back from 2+ year Walkabout. [Re: MartinFocazio]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Wow! Sounds like you had an "interesting" time...

It seems that are two major arenas for survival considerations - urban and remote regions (mountains, deserts, oceans, etc). Most of my attention has been focused on remote areas, primarily because that is where I have worked, lived, and recreated. Needs there are pretty basic - skills, knowledge, and judgement are far more critical that gadgets and trinkets. Even at that, a well chosen bag of goodies can make life a lot more bearable (and possible, as well).

Much of this stuff is less relevant in urban, settled situations which can be more complex - think civil unrest, etc.

Sometimes these two major domains will intertwine - think earthquake in Los Angeles, one of my major concerns. My adaptation will involve turning off the gas, avoid the downed power lines, and camp out on my lot (using all my wilderness stuff) while I salvage my ruined homestead and try to get back to normal.

I hope your insight will not hinder the vital discussion of whether pQst alloy is superior to xyz34 alloy for a survival blade - that is really important stuff!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 270 Guests and 94 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.