The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#282143 - 09/14/16 02:26 PM Great Artists
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
We have a thread on best album and great songs. I want to discuss great artists in music: songwriters, musicians, singers and so forth.

Johnny Cash is on the top of my list.

Jeanette Isabelle

#282147 - 09/14/16 03:22 PM Re: Great Artists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Favorite classical composers: Chopin, Schubert, Debussy, Beethoven

Favorite rock/pop bands: Lynyrd Skynyrd, Led Zeppilin, Bad Company, Chicago, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Elton John (most of these from my youth)

Favorite country groups: Alan Jackson, Alabama

Favorite instrumentalists: Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, Yanni

Favorite movie song artist: Mark Knopfler, "Storybook Love" from The Princess Bride

Favorite piano soloists: Valentina Lisitsa, Alfred Brendel

Favorite opera style vocalist: Charlotte Church (when she was younger)

Favorite rap/hip-hop: None, I detest this genre

If I had to pick one and only one artist to listen to for all eternity, it would be Valentina Lisitza performing classical piano solos.

#282152 - 09/14/16 10:44 PM Re: Great Artists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Hard to beat Johnny Cash, But like heart, I have very eclectic tastes in music, and he lists some good ones.

#282153 - 09/14/16 11:15 PM Re: Great Artists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm hearing an echo of myself wink Joni Mitchell -- songwriter, pianist, Rolling Stone top-100 guitarist, painter ... and I'm not even a fan, I just like the music.

#282154 - 09/14/16 11:17 PM Re: Great Artists [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
My CD collection is the definition of eclectic smile okay not really. Classic rock, folk, classical, jazz, smooth jazz (there is a difference), flamenco guitar; but no rap or hip hop save the rare Deborah Harry piece, "Rapture" being the first #1 rap song wink

#282155 - 09/15/16 02:39 AM Re: Great Artists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

I'vehad this discussion with my son, who is a rap fan and can even rap-rhyme ( Ugh! I cannot believe I actually admitted that in public.). I kept telling him that rap was a retimed folk genre and that the first rapper was Bob Dylan. He kept telling me that I was nuts. So, one day I handed him a copy of the lyrics to , "The Times They Are A Changing " and played him the recording. He then took the lyric sheet and sang- spoke it to a rap beat. He was amazed with the result and grudgingly semi-conceded the point.

#282156 - 09/15/16 04:28 AM Re: Great Artists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I don't know why there is such negative feeling about one particular genre of music. I received a classical education, and that included training in classical music. I knew plenty of people who have nothing but contempt for any musical form that is not classical or so high brow that only a handful of critics can even pretend to enjoy it. And then I see people who dare to profess even to know anything about country music expressing their disdain for some other, equally non-canonical form of music. Kettle, please meet pot.

Anyway, this sort of snobbery I find insufferably foolish. Let music be. I personally have trouble identifying any musician who doesn't do classical music as "great." But I see that as my own limitation, and I wish I could appreciate country, rock, jazz, whatever, so much that I can feel there are great artists among them -- you know, the way you guys can. So maybe the first rapper was Bob Dylan, and that's a wonderful thing.

For my contribution: the incomparable Shostakovich.

#282158 - 09/15/16 07:14 AM Re: Great Artists [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Anyway, this sort of snobbery I find insufferably foolish.

If it's snobbish to hate rap, then call me a BIG snob. The filthy and disgusting lyrics, the gangster culture surrounding it, and the lack of anything that could be considered a melody make rap a non-music to me. It's just unpleasant noise that leaks out of silly cars that have 5 billion-gigawatt subwoofers in them. If someone else wants to listen to it, fine by me. But I certainly don't.

Gotta go now, I have my monthly snob meeting to run to... wink

#282159 - 09/15/16 11:47 AM Re: Great Artists [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Original rap:

Jimmy Dean: "Big Bad John"

Aerosmith: "Walk This Way"

#282164 - 09/16/16 05:09 AM Re: Great Artists [Re: Bingley]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

Bingley: I find that our opinions diverge on this issue. Unusual,since I generally find myself in agreement with your posts .

On rap, I'm 100% with haertig. No need to add any further explanation he said it all.

Second , I'm no music snob. I had a Harvard Redbook higher education , taught by tough but stimulating Jesuits. Quite an experience for a 60s Boomer, Jewish kid, student activist. But I found that I loved it and I had the good sense to soak-up all that I could.

The Jesuits introduced me to Classical music and I learned to love the more powerful pieces. My parents, Great Depression / WW II kids, instilled a love for 40s swing , Big Band and 50s pop,like Sinatra, Ella, etc. That lead me to explore 20s-30s & 40s Blues, Rag, Dixieland and finally the whole BeBop and Modern 50s Jazz era, on my own.

Somewhere in all that and especially from older activists I learned the history of Gospel and folk as political speech and as expressions of spiritual yearning. To this day I revere Leadbelly, Big Mama Thorton, Odetta, Ruth Brown, Lady Day, Woody Gutherie, Pete Seeger, the Weavers, Peter, Paul & Mary, Joan Baez, Joni Mitchell etc. and of course the poet laureate , ( early) Dylan.

My own times brought my now developing tastes to the San Francisco Sound, folk-rock, CSN&Y, and Woodstock. While I enjoyed the British Invasion , it was mostly because it was reimagined American R&B. IMO really ground breaking musical invention died off after the early 70s. YMMV.

All of which is a long winded way round to restate my premise that Rap is mysoginistic trash noise. Rap glorifies the worst angels of modern life. I'm glad to see really gifted Black artists, like Beyoncé , moving away and creatively forward. I think my exposition proves that my opinion is not based upon racism or classism or conservative politics.

Let music be, you say. Well yes,of course, Free Speech is thankfully still the rule of law. But Justice Brandeis' corollary argument was that more and critical speech would drown out the "bad" speech. That's what I'm attempting in my expression of distaste for Rap.

Edited by acropolis5 (09/16/16 05:19 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 349 Guests and 51 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.