Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#276789 - 09/25/15 09:54 AM What would you take?
ATN Offline

Let's say you are traveling to a developing nation/country and will be spending 2 or 3 years before returning home. In general, you will have access to food and water of varying quality and will be in a remote location where resupply probably won't be possible. Besides proper attire that you are wearing for the location and minimal every day carry, what would you take? The limits are 1000 dollars and 75 pounds.

#276791 - 09/25/15 01:53 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
It depends on whether re-supply is actually impossible, or merely slow and expensive.
Most developing countries have markets or shops in which basic cheaper and lower technology goods can be purchased.

Water purification tablets, a bulk supply of 5,000 tablets should last several years.
Several flashlights and a few dozen lithium AA batteries.
Several multi tools or Swiss army knives.
Fire making kit
First aid kit.
That would be the basics for almost any situation, but a lot more MIGHT be needed.

A lot depends on the local availability of basic clothing etc.
Do you need to take a 3 year supply of underwear, shirts, socks and outer clothing ?
A dozen or more pairs of underwear, socks and t shirts can be worn out in 3 years, taking that many would use up a fair bit of the 75 pound allowance. Or can these be obtained locally ?
Unless the area is extremely remote, there will be local people, probably wearing clothes, from where are these obtained ?

Do the local people wear shoes ? if not, you can probably manage without, the pair that you are wearing on arrival should last 3 years of limited use. But if shoes or boots are needed for cold or rough terrain, then several spares pairs will be needed, again do you have to take these or can they be purchased locally.

What is the climate like ? long underwear, heavy clothes, and thick overcoats needed ? plus replacements for 3 years wear.

Staying in a building with cooking facilities and electric lights ? or camping ? Do you need to take enough matches for 3 years ? or just enough for any short term emergency.

Will you need a sleeping bag or blankets, and if so can these be purchased locally or must you take them with you ? You may need replacements, I would not count on even good quality blankets or a sleeping bag surviving 3 years of rough use.

Is a firearm needed for defence against human enemies, or dangerous wildlife. Is a permit or licence needed ? Ammunition for 3 years ?

To summarise, are we talking about 3 years of total self sufficiency, or about staying for the same time in a basic settlement where shoes, clothes, blankets and the like can be purchased.

Edited by adam2 (09/25/15 01:56 PM)

#276792 - 09/25/15 02:02 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting question - but please provide some more information. Will you be camping? - if so, a tent and sleeping bag appropriate for conditions are high on the list. Is there an internet connection? Cell phone capability? What will you be doing? You will need appropriate equipment for the task.

I like this question because I am currently assembling gear for an isolated digging project where resupply will be difficult, essentially not possible. We will be out for only a week, which helps a lot.

Whatever else is occurring, I would be sure to pack a good camera and accessories, a good notebook and writing instrument, at least a backpack of about 3000 cu in capacity, a good headlamp, and my fully accessorized Leatherman Wave. I would probably take my cell phone just for its ancillary functions and some means of charging the electronics (probably solar)

#276795 - 09/25/15 04:11 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: adam2]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: adam2
Do the local people wear shoes ? if not, you can probably manage without, the pair that you are wearing on arrival should last 3 years of limited use.

Unfortunately, that's pretty much wishful thinking IMHO. Unless you're used to going barefoot it is incredibly difficult to get by without good footwear. In some regions the locals may not wear shoes and they do just fine, but that's because they've been doing it since a very early age. Not something our tender feet have ever been taught in the "civilized" world.

The importance of footwear is underestimated all the time. If you need to walk a lot (particularly if there are no other methods of transportation available) proper footwear is going to be very high on your priority list. Maybe more important than a knife or firestarting kit...

Unfortunately, most footwear these days is not particularly durable. I generally walk a lot, probably way above average, and in my experience even a good pair of boots rarely lasts more than 6 months to a year of regular use. Soles and uppers are rarely the problem but linings and paddings just fall apart after a while. So in any long-term situation I would definitely bring replacement footwear, and probably a fair bit more than just one extra pair if I were planning for a 2-3 year scenario.

#276797 - 09/25/15 07:03 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
JohnN Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, WA
As noted, a lot of this depends, but without any details I'd be interested in a Goal Zero Sherpa 50 or 100 and their 20W folding solar panel.

Assuming it is legally and not otherwise counter-indicated I'd have a full size Ritter RSK with Wilkins Grip scales.

-john

#276800 - 09/25/15 09:53 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm going to need more information:

1) Socio-political climate: Cultural norms, economic polarization, abusive/strong/weak/ineffective central goverment, degree and target of xenophobia/bigotry. If I'm going to a throughly bleeped-up corner of the world, a good portion of my budget is going to defensive measures and goods for bribes.

2) Actual climate - The Negev desert is not the Artic circle, which is not Myanmar.

3) Available lodgings - Am I staying in a permanent structure, base camp tent, or being nomadic?

Assuming tent, clothing, etc. is already taken care of:

1)Water purification (mechanical filter + tablets) $100 - 3 lbs lbs

2)Full medical kit including sterile instrumnts, SAM splint, charcoal, antibiotics, quik-clot, etc.) Largely dependent on locale $100 - 5 lbs

3) 2 way radio + directional antenna - $350 - 5 lbs

4) Solar charger for radio - $100

5) Mess kit and toiletries - $40 - 3 lbs

6) Misc (SAK, compass, cordage, fire, TP, duct tape, etc) - $100

7) Day bag $ 100 - 4 lbs

8) Duffel bag/container (75lb = vehicle transport) - $100 - 2 lbs

Total = $990, 29 lbs

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#276801 - 09/25/15 10:10 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
"will be spending 2 or 3 years"
"resupply probably won't be possible"
"The limits are 1000 dollars and 75 pounds"

One gun, two bullets (one as a backup) to shoot myself in the head, should about do it.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would willingly travel to a destination like that with the meager resources you want to give them.

#276802 - 09/25/15 11:39 PM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Laptop and sat phone, solar charger, a couple of sawyer water filters, a couple of two liter water bladders, my desert battle rat knife, my leatherman wave, my cellphone and a sim card for the region, a robust pack of OTC meds, a spool of gorilla tape, several tubes of epoxy, a couple spools of 120 lb test Dacron fishing line. I'm sure there are a few other items I can't think of right now that I would want to include.

#276803 - 09/26/15 12:25 AM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Looking at this list of developing countries, I can't help but think *which* country you're going to is going to make a difference in what you prepare:

http://www.isi-web.org/component/content/article/5-root/root/81-developing

Can we get more specific?

#276805 - 09/26/15 03:33 AM Re: What would you take? [Re: ATN]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Bingley - if it helps you any ... I am GOING to one of those countries. So your "abtract" question is not theoretical for me. In the next 10 weeks I have to decide EXACTLY what I will get, then acquire the equipment, and then GO!!!

Don't you love it - when life is real??!!

I will watch the answers here with some interest!!

Pete

Edited by Pete (09/26/15 03:33 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.