Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#273383 - 12/24/14 04:50 PM Favorite Multitools
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The four things I don't seem to ever have enough of are knives, multitools, flashlights and firearms. I will thank you to not bring up my mental health status with regard to these items. I have no affiliation with any brand mentioned here other than as a customer.

Here are some of my favorite multitools, and what I like about them.

In the keyring category, it's the Leatherman PS4. It's surprising to me how well the small tools on it work, in particular the knife blade is extremely good for a multitool of this size and price. While I almost always have a full-size multitool nearby, I can keep this one with me all the time. And some tasks really do call for two pairs of pliers.

For a full-size multitool I carry a Leatherman Wave in my laptop bag. When I was a consultant I used this constantly in customer datacenters; I don't use it nearly as often now but I can't imagine doing without it. This is a pre-2004 Wave -- I like the profile of the pliers better for IT work, I don't need the larger knife blades (because I carry a locking folder), and I don't need the flexibility of the bit driver, since I carry a screwdriver with an assortment of bits.

For Extra Large sized, I go back and forth between the Leatherman Surge and Super Tool 300 (do you sense a pattern emerging?). The ST300 goes with me on CERT callouts, as I figure I'm more likely to get it wet and dirty and less likely to need a bit driver. The Surge is tougher to clean but it's more flexible as to what it can do.

What are your favorites?

#273384 - 12/24/14 05:28 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
LM Squirt E4 in the keyring class -- the wire strippers are real. The ES4 replaced the E4 with added scissors.

LM Charge TTi -- I haven't used the S30V knife blade (I always have a locking folder too), but it's nice to know there's a back-up.

Super Tool 300 -- total brute, way overbuilt and I like it that way.

#273386 - 12/24/14 06:51 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have the PS4 on my keyring. It is gratifyingly useful and versatile. I generally also carry a Wave (not quite EDC) in a holster with a bit kit and a 4" crescent wrench. This rig saves steps and time for casual jobs; if a lot of wrenching needs to be done,I will hunt down a real tool.

Knives, flashlights, multitools, and firearms - what about ice cream and chocolate?

#273387 - 12/24/14 07:29 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
Knives, flashlights, multitools, and firearms - what about ice cream and chocolate?

My doctor doesn't yell at me about the first four. Probably because I don't eat them laugh.

#273388 - 12/24/14 08:12 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
At the risk of starting an argument, I hold with the crowd that classifies a SAK as a multitool.

My EDC is a green Vic Classic. When I'm not at work, I always have a pre-2004 Wave on my belt. I own a post-2004 Wave, but I like the slimmer original version better ... (could say the same about myself grin).

I am experimenting with a storm grey Leatherman Juice S2 that I bought used. No saw, but a big scissors, decent small blade, and a good pliers. Probably good for around town.

When in the woods, I usually replace the Wave with a Vic Huntsman in a Zermatt sheath with sharpener. I always have a large knife in my pack too.

#273389 - 12/24/14 08:31 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Byrd_Huntr
At the risk of starting an argument, I hold with the crowd that classifies a SAK as a multitool.

I have a "big tent" philosophy when it comes to these issues. SAK-bearers are welcome here grin.

#273390 - 12/24/14 09:42 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You are welcome, but please take a seat in the rear of the bus....

#273391 - 12/25/14 05:37 AM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: chaosmagnet]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Although Leatherman and Victorinox multitools are available in our (Middle Eastern) market, the whole MT thing is not very popular. Mostly REAL tools are used around from workshops to hobbists (sp?). But MT's can be found in some areas , and in some local on-line camping stores.

The result is illiteracy of which model is which. But thanks to Leathermna for writing/engraving the model names on their tools. So few weeks ago, I was in a store to buy a watch and they had the Rebar, the Surge, and Wave, in addition to some SAKs. It was one of the few stores that carries original multitools.

Generally, other stores carry chinese made MT's and that is why most of my collection is from there. And that is why I do not know any model names. So I will talk about features.

Most MT's I noticed (American or chinese), you cannot access the tools except by opening the pliers. I do prefer the other way round where you can access the tools with pliers closed. It's not because I am lazy LOL , but because using the pliers is more comfortable as your hands squeeze against a flat suface not on those tools.

The wave has flat bit drivers. To begin with I prefer simpler MT's with no bits. And this is why one of my 2 favorite (no-name) MT's came with normal bits but I threw the bits in the tool box. You would suggest that the bit driver, then, will become dead weight. Nope. It is designed cleverly using the philips driver itself. It is made of a SQUARE bar , not the usual round one. So, after removing the bits it is still useful as a philips driver.

Talking of the smaller MT's
I have a few. Off course they are slightly different from Leathermans. Mostly they have flat screwdiver/bottle opener + philips driver + straight blade + serrated blde. On the other side, they have a flashlight. Nice thing about it is you can use the MT itself as a base for this little light while you are doing something. However, because the light is so small on these little MT's I did'nt bother search for batteries when they died. Instead, I scavenged tools from one and added to the other. So , now I have one MT with TWO sets of tools, and other MT has no tools other than pliers , and it sits in my watch/jewelry tool kit.

Sorry Chaos.
I can spend whole day talking about MT's
Have to stop here.

#273394 - 12/26/14 11:09 AM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: hikermor

Chocolate is a part of my EDC. Extra dark is how I like it. I seem to happen upon emergencies that require chocolate quite frequently, and so it's perhaps the single most useful addition.

Ice cream would be a bit tough to EDC, but it looks like there is a freeze dried version.

What sort of holster should we use for these two important items.

#273395 - 12/26/14 01:34 PM Re: Favorite Multitools [Re: Bingley]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
What sort of holster should we use for these two important items.

I'm thinking a soft insulated cooler attached with PALS webbing to your backpack.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 394 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.