Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#268955 - 04/10/14 11:24 PM Nevada gun sales links needed.
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Friend needs links about how to sell inherited long gun in Nevada.

#268965 - 04/11/14 02:24 AM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: clearwater]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Since state laws can vary, and since the consequences may be dire if you violate local gun law even only accidentally, I'd recommend that you check with Nevada folks. A google search directed me to:

http://www.nevadashooters.com

#268966 - 04/11/14 02:50 AM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: clearwater]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: clearwater
Friend needs links about how to sell inherited long gun in Nevada.

Your friend should probably consult with a local attorney.

#269005 - 04/12/14 12:08 AM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: chaosmagnet]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

no attorney is needed
seller(gun owner) and buyer both go to a gun shop, a FFL , a federaly licensed firearms dealer,
buyer pays $25 for NICS ( National Instant Criminal Background Check System )
if buyer is cleared , finish up paperwork and the firearm is transfered
the end
this is legal anywhere in america
nics is always $25, any other fees (for dealers time) aren't for nics (don't overpay, call ahead)
there may be other legal ways to conduct firearms transfers... this is the most basic legal way

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Nevada
gives a good summary and cites as a source NRA website
http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws/nevada.aspx

#269011 - 04/12/14 02:42 AM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

I wish you were right. But I don't think this would be legal in DC or NYC. Depending on the firearm, it might be illegal in CT, NJ, CA, and other places.

#269014 - 04/12/14 07:21 AM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: chaosmagnet]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear

I wish you were right. But I don't think this would be legal in DC or NYC. Depending on the firearm, it might be illegal in CT, NJ, CA, and other places.

Funny
Ring ring, Hello mr.FFL , can I transfer this type gun at your establishment?
Yes you can, I'll need ID ID and cash

No you can't, you'll need a class 3 dealer, I'll refer you

Yes you can provided you obtain permit from BATFE, you'll need form .... and usually takes 3-6 months

In your state only LEOs are eligible ...

Call ahead
If you're thinking about consulting a regular attorney, don't, consult a "gun attorney" they'll know more

#269015 - 04/12/14 09:30 AM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: clearwater]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

In some states, you don't need an FFL to transfer firearms. You don't even need to keep records. Why waste the money to pay an FFL?

What I'm worried about is if the person who inherited the guns doesn't know the laws about guns, he/she might just do something stupid, like: "Gee, I need to pick up my son from school before meeting the buyer, so let me just throw the guns in the trunk. That won't be a problem while I parked at the elementary school, right?" WRONG! That will land you in jail.

#269035 - 04/13/14 02:06 PM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: clearwater]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Thanks,

I asked on another forum as well and they also suggested nevadashooters.com.

Face to Face, at least for long guns, looks ok in the part of Nevada she is in. IANAL.

Since the gun is a rimfire and has a wholesale value of about $100, having to visit an attorney to deal with it seems as if it would be cheaper to keep it.

#269037 - 04/13/14 05:17 PM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: clearwater]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I don't think this warrants contacting an attorney. The law is readily available for review, and doesn't really require professional legal interpretation.

We have a tendency in this country to seek legal assistance for things we can deal with on our own far too often. There are lots of rules to follow, but I think it would be a better investment for us to spend the time finding out for ourselves, rather than pay a professional for their opinion. After all, the information is freely available for all to see.

Personally, I've never seen a problem with private sales of firearms. There's things you can do to cover your interests if need be. But really, it isn't the government's business, any more than it would be if I sold a person a knife, or a baseball bat, or a piece of rope. Then again, I don't live in a municipality where they make up silly rules like that anyways.

#269040 - 04/13/14 08:00 PM Re: Nevada gun sales links needed. [Re: benjammin]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: benjammin
We have a tendency in this country to seek legal assistance for things we can deal with on our own far too often. There are lots of rules to follow, but I think it would be a better investment for us to spend the time finding out for ourselves, rather than pay a professional for their opinion. After all, the information is freely available for all to see.

You should make yourself informed of the law. However, taking a gun law class will change your understanding. Learning about the cases will show you how the law is actually applied. You may even come across provisions in the law where no one, not even an attorney, knows what they actually mean, because they have never been applied in the court.

I think Chaos is just being careful. Even honest mistakes can result in dire consequences.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 386 Guests and 32 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.