Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#269418 - 04/25/14 03:36 AM Changes at work
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
So looks like my job is going to be scaled back now. When I say scaled back, I mean that my work assignment is changing, though not reducing. But my pay is going to be cut roughly in half.

Nothing like being told my work effort is unappreciated, but they still can't do without me. I think this is perhaps a bigger slap in the face than being shown the door outright.

Needless to say, I am less than motivated to perform with my new task load. If they didn't like my output before, they darned sure aren't going to care for the new modus operandi.

I think I will spend the next two weeks looking for another employer. I guess we will see how long they'll be willing to pay me to look for work elsewhere.

#269419 - 04/25/14 03:39 AM Re: Changes at work [Re: benjammin]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've been there. Best of luck to you in finding something better quickly.

#269421 - 04/25/14 03:49 AM Re: Changes at work [Re: benjammin]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

No worries, I always do, just disappointed with some of the excuses my boss used to explain her decision. It was fairly obvious it was a setup to justify to her superiors her reason for bringing her friend on board without losing my talents to get the hard jobs done. Why else would I have received top marks just two months ago during my regular annual performance review, then this. For a solid year she had no complaints. Then when she finds out suddenly her pal is available and convinces management to bring her on board, I am suddenly the goat. It wasn't too hard to connect the dots, but what can you do? Just time to move on. My experience says once a person in that position has made up their mind, there ain't no going back. She even told me she didn't want to lose me, but that is wholly unrealistic. As soon as I come up with something else, the other shoe will drop.

#269424 - 04/25/14 04:59 AM Re: Changes at work [Re: benjammin]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Yep, that's a clear sign that you have the wrong boss.
Let me know if you want to move to Texas!

Hmmm, I have a brother in Fairbanks if for some crazy reason you want to stay up North. Know anything about power companies?
-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#269426 - 04/25/14 05:36 AM Re: Changes at work [Re: benjammin]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
That sucks, but hopefully something better will come along.

#269434 - 04/25/14 02:35 PM Re: Changes at work [Re: Blast]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

I am trying to either stay in Anchorage or get up on the slope, where work is rotational. But if nothing comes up here, I reckon Fairbanks would be better than Texas. LOL

#269435 - 04/25/14 02:36 PM Re: Changes at work [Re: Phaedrus]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Something always does. Just disappointed at how this worked out. But for the people I have to deal with, a lot of opportunities would've turned out much better than they did.

#269437 - 04/25/14 02:52 PM Re: Changes at work [Re: benjammin]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: benjammin
No worries, I always do, just disappointed with some of the excuses my boss used to explain her decision. It was fairly obvious it was a setup to justify to her superiors her reason for bringing her friend on board without losing my talents to get the hard jobs done. Why else would I have received top marks just two months ago during my regular annual performance review, then this. For a solid year she had no complaints. Then when she finds out suddenly her pal is available and convinces management to bring her on board, I am suddenly the goat. It wasn't too hard to connect the dots, but what can you do? Just time to move on. My experience says once a person in that position has made up their mind, there ain't no going back. She even told me she didn't want to lose me, but that is wholly unrealistic. As soon as I come up with something else, the other shoe will drop.

Then perhaps you should make a formal complaint to her boss. Make your position absolutely clear. Might have a worthwhile result.

#269438 - 04/25/14 03:11 PM Re: Changes at work [Re: benjammin]
Ian Offline

Loc: Scotland
Grit your teeth and bare it for now whilst you are looking. Don't denigrate your current employer in public or online however much they deserve it.

It is always easier getting a job if you have a job, prospective employers are wary of people out of work.

Badmouthing an employer also won't help either, it is so easy to go online and research someone these days and HR departments do it routinely to get background on prospects.

Good luck.

#269462 - 04/26/14 07:37 AM Re: Changes at work [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Her boss is the owner, and they are long time friends. Not much to gain in confrontation on this one, I'll just move on and find something else to do.

But thanks for the suggestion. Were I in a real corporate setting, that would be worth serious consideration.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.