The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#260504 - 05/13/13 06:26 AM I wish every dad reads this thread
Chisel Offline
Veteran

http://edcforums.com/threads/the-man-box.108212/

Seeing the state of affairs in many many families , I wish every dad reads this and thinks about spending some quality time with their kids.

Sniff
A tiny manly tear is about to roll.

#260510 - 05/13/13 02:49 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: Chisel]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The post you linked is not a trigger for me as it seems to be for you. Nevertheless, I appreciate the timing of your post as the anniversary of my father’s death is approaching.

When Dad was alive, he did spend time with me. As an English professor, he exposed me to Shakespeare. He is the one who named me after the traditional French song, “Bring a Torch, Jeanette, Isabelle.”

Jeanette Isabelle

#260512 - 05/13/13 03:47 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: Chisel]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Token girly "Ahhhhhh!" What a wonderful idea.

Our son turns 10 in a couple of months, and my hubby is trying to figure out something similar - a coming of age ritual. It might be a thing or an experience or a new birthday tradition. He's still working on it so I think I'm going to send him this link. Thanks!

This one I leave in my husband's capable hands, without interfering. Much. LOL!

I particularly like the idea of starting new traditions (i.e. this is the first year my son and didn't do a one on one Mother's Day hike or camp, but we're going to make up for it next weekend.) Something like an annual father and son trip. For example, my son is going to get to go paintballing for the first time this year, joining his dad, uncle an older cousin in their annual tradition. His first paintball gun and safety equipment is already bought, wrapped and waiting for the big day. (I suspect a similar story will play out my daughter is old enough to join my annual girls fishing weekend.)

I also like the idea of handing down something that can be handed down. As an example, my dad gave me my first SAK when I turned 18 and went on my first solo camping trip. (Turns out a spare car key would have been better, since I locked myself out of the car while setting up camp in the dark, but that's an entirely different topic. LOL!) Long story short, I still EDC that knife and will probably hand it down to my son one day. Might make a good 10th birthday present...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#260513 - 05/13/13 03:57 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: Chisel]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
When my son is going for his whittling chip in the scouts, I'm going to get him a scout knife and have something engraved on the blade...maybe "do your best" or "be prepared".

#260515 - 05/13/13 04:12 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: barbakane]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Wonderful idea, barbakane!

My husband and I gave our son a Scouts Canada folding knife when he moved up to Cubs. It was a practical memento, and a great lead in to knife responsibility and use.

#260519 - 05/13/13 05:01 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: barbakane]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: barbakane
When my son is going for his whittling chip in the scouts, I'm going to get him a scout knife and have something engraved on the blade...maybe "do your best" or "be prepared".

Even better, volunteer as an adult leader for your scouts' unit. I have been with mine since they were tigers, and now one is a star Boy Scout and the other working on first class. I am their Scout Master, and we have a great time together. Quality time is priceless.

#260523 - 05/13/13 05:43 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero

Even better, volunteer as an adult leader for your scouts' unit. I have been with mine since they were tigers, and now one is a star Boy Scout and the other working on first class. I am their Scout Master, and we have a great time together. Quality time is priceless.

^This! I've never had a more rewarding experience that as a Scouter. Scouting with my son is awesome!

#260524 - 05/13/13 05:54 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: Chisel]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Interesting he's putting together an ammo box. My son already has one. It has a cap gun, BBC's for his Bob gun, slingshots and safety glasses. When we go to the farm we take it. He's only 7 so it stays up in the top of his closet where he can't reach it.

#260528 - 05/13/13 06:57 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: Chisel]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I don't have any sons but my girls have treasure boxes for the things I've given them, including multitools, amateur radio gear, flashlights, etc. I like this.

#260532 - 05/13/13 09:52 PM Re: I wish every dad reads this thread [Re: gonewiththewind]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Originally Posted By: Montanero

Was gonna start another thread, but I'll be the Webelos I den leader going into the next year. Our current den leader got held up in front of his house, in a gated community, in front of his family. So he's moving back north. I've been involved since my son started scouts, and I know webelos will be a great challenge, for all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.