Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#258635 - 04/06/13 03:09 AM Who is hunting who?
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Warning: graphic content [You can watch the first 2/3 if you are queasy about hunting.]

This is a video of a baited bear hunt in northern Saskatchewan which seemed to be an adventure of a lifetime... and then things got a bit uncomfortable for the hunter and his guide. I think the guide got it correct when he mentioned that he had to change his shorts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9VQSZ4c20KE#!

#258636 - 04/06/13 05:21 AM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
*koff*whom*koff*

Not a big fan of baited hunting, but if it's legal so be it.

[EDIT: striking out my further comments, looks like it is bowhunting, can't get the video to play properly so I'll shut up from here]

-Doug the Grouch, who incidentally has eaten bear and found it entirely toothsome

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/06/13 05:47 AM)

#258637 - 04/06/13 05:29 AM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Roarmeister]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I'm not queasy about hunting, but... did he kill the bear that had spared them?

Edited by Bingley (04/06/13 07:57 AM)

#258638 - 04/06/13 06:07 AM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Okay, I finally got it to play. I may have lost track, but I think he took a second bear that came to the bait. He seems to have waited for an appropriate time to take a clean shot that would kill rather than wound. As for woo-woo-ing into the camera, that's adrenaline. Though I for one would find it a sombre, solemn moment. YMMV.

Edited by dougwalkabout (04/06/13 06:09 AM)

#258648 - 04/06/13 04:46 PM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

[Grumpy OFF]

That video is worth watching just to get a real sense of the strength and speed of your average bear. Impressive.

#258650 - 04/06/13 05:02 PM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Roarmeister]
Newsman Offline
Journeyman

Loc: NW Arkansas
It does not appear that the bear climbed the tree to attack; rather, it climbed the tree because it was trying to avoid a larger bear in the area. It climbed defensively -- and happened to pick the tree that had two humans in it.

The fact that it chose to stay in the tree where it could smell the humans tells me that the climbing bear was more scared of what sent it up the tree in the first place.

What I find fascinating is listening to the sounds the bears make as they come to an uneasy truce about the food.

I've had lots of wild animals close -- a fox walk up and sniff the sole of my boot, all sorts of small birds land on me, squirrels climb my leg, a fawn walk up and touch it's nose to my hand, a herd of deer a few yards away aware something was out of place but could not find me, a red-tail hawk land on the upper part of a climbing tree stand and stay there for 20 minutes -- in each instance it was all I could do to not hyperventilate.

I can't image how it'd feel to have a bear inches away! Wow!

#258652 - 04/06/13 05:22 PM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Newsman]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Newsman
It does not appear that the bear climbed the tree to attack; rather, it climbed the tree because it was trying to avoid a larger bear in the area. It climbed defensively -- and happened to pick the tree that had two humans in it.

The fact that it chose to stay in the tree where it could smell the humans tells me that the climbing bear was more scared of what sent it up the tree in the first place.

Now that makes sense. I think you've nailed it.

#258662 - 04/06/13 11:57 PM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Bingley]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm not queasy about hunting, but... did he kill the bear that had spared them?

No the little bear that climbed the tree was chased away by a larger bear. And the largest bear in turn chased that one away... and then became a bearskin rug. frown

#258663 - 04/07/13 12:01 AM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Newsman]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Newsman

What I find fascinating is listening to the sounds the bears make as they come to an uneasy truce about the food.

I've had lots of wild animals close -- a fox walk up and sniff the sole of my boot, all sorts of small birds land on me, squirrels climb my leg, a fawn walk up and touch it's nose to my hand, a herd of deer a few yards away aware something was out of place but could not find me, a red-tail hawk land on the upper part of a climbing tree stand and stay there for 20 minutes -- in each instance it was all I could do to not hyperventilate.

I can't image how it'd feel to have a bear inches away! Wow!

In a separate audio interview, the guide said that the bear probably didn't even know the two were in the trees. It just lit out for the closest tree available to get away from the larger bear. It was probably just as perplexed and frightened to find them in the same tree as it so it backed its ways down.

But those bears move FAST! I couldn't believe how quickly the pair of bears ran up the other trees several yards away.

#258678 - 04/07/13 04:02 PM Re: Who is hunting who? [Re: Roarmeister]
spuds Offline
Old Hand

Loc: SoCal Mtns

But those bears move FAST! I couldn't believe how quickly the pair of bears ran up the other trees several yards away.
==========================
You know it ,those things are QUICK!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 421 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.