Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#249588 - 08/08/12 05:41 PM Carrying water: what's your preferred method?
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
This group sure does seem pretty on top of things as far as finding quality gear. I was wondering, what do you have set up to carry your water in for your "go bag, get home bag, BOB, whatever you call yours".

First, I was thinking that a simple Camel Bak would be ideal for *me* because I have so many of them laying around since hubby is military. Lately, tho, I have been thinking it might be a good idea to consider something that is multi use. A container that I could also heat water and maybe even cook in. I try to keep my go bag as light as possible, so what kind of gear would you intelligent folks recommend? Is it safe to heat stainless steel water bottles?

I really like the idea of a container that I can use to collect water, heat water (yes, my go bag has a couple packets of instant coffee, that vice has high priority for me, morale is important too!).

Maybe there is even some sort of equipment that is like an all in one combo set? Something with a water container and maybe a small cup or pot that can be used in a fire to heat food items? So, basically, what do you use? Links and personal reviews are appreciated.

~Marion C. Garretty

#249593 - 08/08/12 06:52 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Camelbaks, steel water bottles. Sometimes multiples

#249596 - 08/08/12 07:40 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
Andy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: SE PA
For my kits I like to use a standard 32oz waterbottle with a stainless steel cup that fis snugly on the bottom of the bottle. You can carry water and heat it up in the cup over any small stove or fire. You can also purify any water you find by boiling it in the cup and storing boiled water in the bottle.

#249605 - 08/08/12 10:22 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Andy]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I also like a cup that fits on the bottom of my water container; there are several variations available. A Snow Peak 700 (titanium) is the lightest, toughest, and most expensive, but it cuddles nicely around a 1 L Nalgene or a lighter variation, a 32 oz recycled Gatorade bottle. Somewhat heavier, but considerably cheaper is a stainless steel cup (Olicamp is one maker). A very good water container is a collapsible water jug of which the most common brand is Platypus. Their one L version will fit in the cups mentioned above.

I have assembled a complete kit for coffee, tea, or boil in the bag meals by adding a Trangia alcohol stove, fuel, and the ingredients for that nice cup of tea (or Starbucks Via) to the above.

I do pay attention to container weight, because I am usually backpacking or hinking, and water is almost always the heaviest thing I am packing. Container weights of items like Nalgene containers can add up pretty significantly - I really like Gatorade or Powerade, etc. bottles for that reason - ust wish I could get something that has a full liter capacity.

I you are transporting by vehicle, you have much more latitude, but I don't bother with containers of more than about two gallons capacity. They are jsut too heavy and awkward - usually.

Hydration bladders or hydration "systems" are just too darn fiddly for me. KISS applies here.

Edited by hikermor (08/08/12 10:23 PM)

#249608 - 08/08/12 11:20 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
Maybe there is even some sort of equipment that is like an all in one combo set?

There is always the Vargo Titanium BOT Bottle.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-BOT-Bottle-Pot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNW4ZzPlaGM

#249610 - 08/08/12 11:45 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
So, basically, what do you use? Links and personal reviews are appreciated.

Water is heavy and carrying it on your back with the rest of the gear can be quite uncomfortable. I'm currently using a PLCE belt webbing set with 2 double PLCE ammunition front pouches and hippo pad which gives space for 3 Lifeventure 650ml Tritan Flask bottles (Nalgene compatible) and a Katadyn Ceramic Mini Filter Pump with a Nalgene Active Charcoal adapter. Having 6-7 lbs on the front/side of the body helps with the load distribution (i.e. not having an additional 6-7 lbs on the back and shoulders) and it makes filtering and refilling the flasks quick and simple as well without having to remove the back pack and put it back on!

http://www.lifeventure.co.uk/htm/cookware/tritan-flasks.html

http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=9012&from=48

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (08/08/12 11:46 PM)

#249614 - 08/09/12 12:42 AM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I own a variety of Camelbaks, and they work very well for me. As long as I only put water in them and get them hung up to dry at the end of the trip cleaning isn't a big deal.

I sure wish that my dumb dog hadn't peed on the bladder for my Camelbak lumbar pack. It was just the right size for bike rides and they don't make that bladder any more.

#249634 - 08/09/12 01:55 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Krista]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Living in the desert means I carry water in practically every container possible.

I always have, at a minimum, a small pilots flask. About 500ml. Being flat, it fits easily in my pocket or bag. Good for about one good drink. Only use this when I am within easy "refill" range. Oh, all the plastic containers I mention here are food grade.

Nearby I keep several plastic GI canteens. One quart, kidney shaped standard item. Cheap, usually under $2. I have a bunch of them. Still small enough to easily carry. Usually have two on my molle vest. In my bag, I have one pocket with the standard GI cup. Stainless steel, heavy but indestructible. Been carrying the same one for many years. Doubles as a shovel, pot, parts holder and numerous other uses. It makes a good "place holder" for the canteen. Easy to replace the canteen in the bag. Snapped to the bottom of the cup is the standard GI canteen stove. Small gel pack of fuel is elsewhere in bag.

Also have several larger military containers. They hold about 3/4 gallon. Very rugged plastic. 4 of these are strapped into the truck. I rotate the water occasionally, but they are for emergency use only. They can be carried in a pack if needed and are rugged enough to bet my life on.

I removed the back seat from the truck/camper and keep 4, 3 gallon (standard blue cube type) water jugs. 3 gallons is a manageable size.

I seldom use hydration bladders. Had one leak and lost my water supply. I had the foresight to also carry one GI canteen and my partners shared their water supply so no harm done. But I no longer put all my water in one container.

The truck camper has a 30 gallon fresh water tank. All of the above are filled and checked prior to every trip.

Camper has several water purification systems as well.

Many years ago I ran out of water. Had a very very bad day. Could have been worse though. Kinda had an effect on my water storage habits.

Nomad

#249637 - 08/09/12 02:30 PM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

Quote:
Maybe there is even some sort of equipment that is like an all in one combo set?

There is always the Vargo Titanium BOT Bottle.

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titanium-BOT-Bottle-Pot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNW4ZzPlaGM

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for... I just wish it had some kind of handle or clip or something. Maybe I could use paracord and a carabiner to make something...

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I LIKE hydration bladders. I HATE the maintenance and cleaning required to keep them clean, though. Lately Camelbak has gotten better. Built in drier arms that keep the bladders open. But I find you still need to get a rag in them to wipe up a lot of things. Often that's difficult through the fill opening.
"Source." They make both civilian and military grade bladders and accessories. Their bladders have removable roll-down tops that let you literally open the entire bladder to dry and clean it. My next bladder will be one of theirs.

A simple google search will send you to either their civie or mili site.

Standard disclaimer applies.

Agreed. I've even seen a lot of the Alice style packs that have a hydration bladder built in... this might be something I check into as an extra source in addition to whatever else I end up using.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I own a variety of Camelbaks, and they work very well for me. As long as I only put water in them and get them hung up to dry at the end of the trip cleaning isn't a big deal.

I sure wish that my dumb dog hadn't peed on the bladder for my Camelbak lumbar pack. It was just the right size for bike rides and they don't make that bladder any more.

I like them a lot for hiking and walking too. I'm not a cyclist, but these are great for day tripping. smile And what a bad dog, lol!

Originally Posted By: Nomad
Living in the desert means I carry water in practically every container possible.

Kinda had an effect on my water storage habits.

Nomad

Nomad, I have to say that your water storage habits both humble and awe me. I hope to get to your level of preparedness! I also have several of the GI canteens laying around, I should make use of those too, thanks for sharing that!

For now, what I've learned that I think is most important is to not rely on just ONE water source. I think that is great advice, and I plan to incorporate it into my plans.

Thanks everyone.

~Marion C. Garretty

#249769 - 08/12/12 03:22 AM Re: Carrying water: what's your preferred method? [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

"Source." They make both civilian and military grade bladders and accessories. Their bladders have removable roll-down tops that let you literally open the entire bladder to dry and clean it. My next bladder will be one of theirs.

Standard disclaimer applies.

Izzy, Source is a great reservoir system. Highly recommend. Be sure to include the faucet tap or whatever they call it for universal filling from the mouthpiece. Speaking of which the mouthpiece area; bite valve, dust cover, attachment linkage is a massive set up. It is easily 75% larger than a camelbak set up. Doesn't detract in any way, its just a lot bigger than the photos make it to be.

Though I will admit last week I bought the Camelbak Thermobak AB carrier, a Source holder would have been slick though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 261 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.