Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#249119 - 07/28/12 04:59 PM Crossing the Can-USA border by car with multitool
SARbound Offline
Addict

Loc: Quebec City, Canada
I am driving from Quebec City to Boston next week, and I typically carry a small backpack in the trunk of my car which contains minimal emergency supplies such as water, blankets, freeze-dried food, and a multitool.

I was wondering if I could get in trouble at customs having this in my car?

#249121 - 07/28/12 05:08 PM Re: Crossing the Can-USA border by car with multitool [Re: SARbound]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
You should be fine. I have crossed into the USA and back into Canada many times with more gear then that with no questions asked other then one cursory search by a Canadian border services officer who took a keen interest in some of our gear as she was a hiker herself...

For complete details, the Canada Border Services Agency website has plenty of related info.

John Lubbock

#249123 - 07/28/12 05:14 PM Re: Crossing the Can-USA border by car with multitool [Re: SARbound]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
I doubt it - I've cross the border at Blaine/Sumas with a multi-tool in my glove compartment many times, they've never keyed on it. Its not like an airplane where you might use it as a weapon to take down a flight crew - you are your own flight crew in a vehicle. Going to Canada they're looking for weapons, drugs, human trafficking, and terrorists mostly; coming back they're looking for drugs, drugs, drugs, bad agricultural decisions, and if you are in a commercial vehicle maybe terrorists and human trafficking. USCBP have dogs, screwdrivers, x-rays and most importantly time to sniff out most of this. Be honest, if they ask about 'weapons' tell them you don't have a weapon but you do have a name brand multi-tool in your emergency supplies in the trunk (assuming it has a blade - if no blade then the tool is just a tool).

That's what I would do, I'm a US citizen; ymmv as a Canadian, but I hope that things haven't devolved so far as to create a different threshold for our friends from the North.

#249124 - 07/28/12 05:20 PM Re: Crossing the Can-USA border by car with multitool [Re: SARbound]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
It's not restricted, no need to tell them when they ask if you have anything to declare.

#249127 - 07/28/12 05:50 PM Re: Crossing the Can-USA border by car with multitool [Re: SARbound]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: SARbound
I am driving from Quebec City to Boston next week, and I typically carry a small backpack in the trunk of my car which contains minimal emergency supplies such as water, blankets, freeze-dried food, and a multitool.

I was wondering if I could get in trouble at customs having this in my car?

Nope. Not a problem with the multi-tool. Last time over the border, I told them I had a couple of knifves, one in the backpack and one on my person. They asked to see the one on my person, it was a Spyderco Salt-1. When the guard saw it he rolled his eyes, he "pishawed" and obviously knew it wasn't an issue and gave it back to me.

Freee-dried food shouldn't be a problem, just say it is for personal consumption during the trip. Usually, it's the unprocessed fruits, veggies and meats will get you pulled. The only thing that caught me off guard was when I also mentioned I had a personal amount of liquor and they wanted to know if it was Cuban rum (actually it was Captn Morgans).

Hope your blanket isn't loaded with smallpox! smile

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.