Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#248239 - 07/10/12 02:09 AM what is a good strong survival glove?
picard120 Offline
Old Hand

what is a good strong survival glove?

The glove should have kevlar, resist knife cuts and has good grip?

Does anyone have any suggestion?

#248240 - 07/10/12 02:53 AM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: picard120]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Survival glove?? Could you be a little more specific about the situations for which you are contemplating use of this glove? For many outdoor, non-tactical situations, I have often appreciated good leather work gloves. They provide protection from sharp edges and sticky things, as well as some shielding from cold. For significant cold, noting is as good as fleece or down mittens. I have never needed kevlar gloves, although I understand they are standard in packing houses and similar situations.

If at all possible, I prefer to toughen my hands to the point that gloves are not necessary, but I like to have a pair handy, just in case.

#248243 - 07/10/12 04:29 AM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: picard120]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: picard120
what is a good strong survival glove?

The glove should have kevlar, resist knife cuts and has good grip?

Does anyone have any suggestion?

What the heck is a "survival glove"?

If you are talking tactical then I would strongly reccomend Wileyx CAG -1 gloves. I have these and they have been absolutely perfect for tactical use. For non tactical situations I find the hardened knuckles are great for mountain biking where you tend to smash them on branches a lot. The flash resistant material makes them ideal for grabbing hot stove parts etc as they don't scorch easily, and yes they are cut/puncture resistant (seems important to you) I must admit, the Kevlar weave makes them very durable. Grip is second to none (in my experience at least)
I am sure there are lots of good brands out there, but these have served my well enough at work and play to get a couple of pairs.

The down side.... Try them on if you can before buying. As tactical gloves by design the fingers are very tight, they are designed for max movement/dexterity after all. And they are not cheap. Excellent gloves, but expect to pay 100 bucks or more a pair.

Now if you are looking for a general outdoor work glove for splitting wood and such, I agree any solid no name brand leather work glove should suffice.

#248244 - 07/10/12 05:12 AM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: Stephen]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Stephen
What the heck is a "survival glove"?
I was going to ask that too.

Quote:
If you are talking tactical then I would strongly reccomend...
But instead, I now have to ask, "What the heck is a tactical glove?" I guess they must just paint them black and call them tactical, like everything else these days.

I thought gloves were for either (1) Warmth, or (2) Protection. What is the "tactical" or "survival" use of a glove, other than warmth or protection?

#248246 - 07/10/12 06:27 AM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: haertig]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
You are correct, gloves simply add warmth or protection(sometimes both)But.....believe it or not some folks out there need something more specific than that. A Tactical glove would be a glove designed specifically for military or police use and in this particular case they are designed to meet certain specific criteria based on that intended use.
-Slim fingers for better weapons handling.
-Kevlar weave for personal searches where someone may have sharp, stabbing objects on their person.
-A higher flash resistance for flash burn protection from explosions(IEDs being the big one)
-Extra protection to the knuckles.
And yes, if you wear a black uniform you can ever find them in the same color without resorting to painting them.
-The CAG 1 is not designed to keep your hands warm either. Thought I should add that.

Yes , tactical may be a term often thrown around at each and every corner to increase sales, but I am very certain everyone here happened across the term "tactical glove" once or twice and could draw the conclusion they are not your everyday run of the mill gloves but are designed to fit a more specific role.

Oh! BTW, You should tell the next Police officer you see in SWAT gear that you think he simply paints his gloves black for the sake of cool guy points. You may learn first hand (no pun intended) why they have hard plastic knuckles. laugh

#248248 - 07/10/12 08:03 AM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: picard120]
LED Offline
Veteran

Generic deer skin gloves work well for grabbing hot pots and managing a campfire. I also use the cheap craftsman work gloves from home depot for things that require more dexterity like sawing, etc. They're not totally necessary, they just make life a lot easier.

#248256 - 07/10/12 02:23 PM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: picard120]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
No idea what a survival glove is, but I like these for operating my chainsaw in cold and wet weather:

http://countycomm.com/gloves.html

You can also get cheaper knockoffs in a 6 pack at Costco, but those don't wear as well as the ones I got at CountyComm, 4 years and still going strong. Thin, great grip, great dexterity - all worthy of the survival moniker when working with a running chainsaw, where the object of the game is to not slice open a leg artery (for which I wear kevlar chaps, naturally).

Otherwise I use inexpensive garden leather gloves for moving debris in my emergency kits, backed by slightly more expensive leather gloves for when those wear out. The leather gloves have enough room to wear surgical gloves underneath in the event we're doing S&R and come upon a victim. I ran through a pair of the leather gloves yesterday in one session of moving deck wood from the front yard to the back, a split opened up on the back side of one hand, so I wouldn't expect to get more than a day or two of moving debris from them. so pack at least two.

In cold weather when shoveling snow for shelters I wear dishwasher gloves - actually they are neoprene gloves from Home Depot sold in the tile section of the store, a bit heftier and less prone to rips - instead of cold weather insulated gloves. I can fit a pair of the CountyComm gloves underneath if I want some insulation, and in the end I wear warm and dry insulated gloves when we're all done or when I just want to reduce the cold from shoveling. If you're building a snow shelter in anything else, expect to pack 2-3 pair of insulated gloves as they will get plenty wet and lose their effectiveness.

I suppose that given the variety of glove solutions I use for 'survival', the point would be there is no one-all be-all survival glove, just the pair that works for the work at the moment.

#248257 - 07/10/12 02:29 PM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: picard120]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Oh yeah - the influence of TV too: I was watching Deadliest Catch a few years back and noticed most of the crew were wearing Atlas gloves, which are inexpensive and commonly available, at least around Seattle. They are generally tough and come in a variety of types for different uses, like handling lines, hauling pots, and other hard work. The blue line seemed to work best. I bought a few pairs at a Seattle fishing supply store and put them in a kit, but frankly haven't used them. It may be worth another look or at least buying a pair to see if they fit your idea of a disaster glove.

#248290 - 07/10/12 09:38 PM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: picard120]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
For grunt work around the yard/camp, then generic leather work gloves. While in the service (before tactical gloves existed), I liked the leather/Nomex flight gloves. They offered BASIC protection while allowing good dexterity, etc. I have both types now plus winter gloves (and wool inserts for the work gloves).

#248299 - 07/11/12 01:03 AM Re: what is a good strong survival glove? [Re: Finn]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I keep a pair of leather/Nomex flight gloves in my truck console with one of those Spyderco rescue knives. The gloves are good to buy time while cutting thing near a fire. But they are relatively thin and won't buy you a lot of time. I keep another pair in my flight bag.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Doug_Ritter), 369 Guests and 22 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.