Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#245220 - 04/23/12 05:38 PM Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX?
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Who here has or has used Leatherman's Skeletool CX? The reason I ask it that a while back I bought two Leatherman Freestyle CX's from Woot.com; they were only $15 apiece and now I wish I'd have picked up more since that's less than 1/2 price. As great as the Freestyle is it's really not a "multi-tool"- it's just two tools, a pliers and a knife. The main use I have seems to be a pliers, then a screwdriver, then pretty much everything else.

The Leatherman Skeletool CX looks like it addresses the issue by adding a driver with changeable bits. I like that idea as they sell a driver set that goes with it. My questions are: Are there extra bits within the tool? And is there any provision to carry the spares inside the tool? Lastly, while the Skeletool CX appears to be very light it looks to be nearly as bulky as a full featured multi-tool. So how does is carry?

Lastly, the real downside is that the Skeletool CX has really just three useful tools yet costs more than most than a Wave, Blast, etc. Can any owners comment on whether they feel the Leatherman Skeletool CX is worth the price?

Thanks!

#245221 - 04/23/12 06:26 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Wheels Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Central Virginia
I got a Skeletool CX for Christmas 2010. I love it - use it every day. It has two bits on it all the time; one in the bit driver and one stored in the handle. The carabiner style clip works great for me to carry it (also doubles as a bottle opener - the fourth tool!). The handles on the pliers are more comfortable than previous Leathermans so you can squeeze tighter. Finally, the blade stays really sharp and is easy to hone/sharpen when needed. The price is a downside but it was a gift.

#245222 - 04/23/12 06:30 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I've EDC'd a Skeletool CX for a couple years now and tool-wise it really has all I want. If I ended up having to buy another tool due to loss, I'd make the same choice today.

I carry it using the pocket clip in my front pocket. I assume it might be a bit more bulky than some folders you could carry this way (I haven't really compared much), but I really don't notice its there most of the time. Frankly, its more comfortable for me than the Leatherman Juice it replaced because of the Skeletool's pocket clip (I don't like things sitting in the bottom of my pant pockets). Also, I am not interested in belt carry which rules out the other large tools in my mind, but I've never had one of those larger models so I can't really make a fair comparison.

That said, the only real weakness of the design is the pocket clip which I've bent out of shape a couple times, but Leatherman did send me a replacement free of charge when I ran into problems with it the first time.

It comes with two double-sided bits: a Phillips 1 and 2, and a flat 3/16" and 1/4". Models sold in Canada also come with a third bit, a Robertson 1 and 2 (I am guessing on the sizes, I don't have that bit with me). As Wheels mentioned, there is only room for 2 bits on the tool itself - one in place and the other in a storage slot in the pier handle which doesn't hold the blade.

I did also get the bit kit which comes with a multitude of additional screwdriver bit types, but realistically I could probably count the number of times I've used them on one hand. The basic Philips / flat combination the tool comes with seem to handle the vast majority of uses I've come across where I'd be using the multi tool as opposed to dedicated tools. Though it is arguably something worth keeping in your bag when away from home.

#245223 - 04/23/12 06:36 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
I should also add that when I say EDC I'm really referring to day-to-day urban life. When I head out to the woods the Skeletool tends to stay home.

#245225 - 04/23/12 07:53 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks all. The Skeletool does sound like a great little tool. CM154 is a very good knife steel, especially at the price. As "cool" as all the tools are really a pliers, screwdriver and knife cover most stuff I'd need. Add a tweezer and scissors and you're probably at around 90%.

Overall my two favorite multi-tools have to be the Victorinox Spirit and the Leatherman Flair. Both are too big for pocket EDC but handy in a vehicle or on a belt.

If I can find a decent price on one I'll have to pick up the Skeletool CX.

#245226 - 04/23/12 08:13 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've got a regular Skeletool and I don't really like it. I find the pliers to be uncomfortable to use due to their handle shape (the sweeping radius on the bottle opener/clip side) and because the bit from the bit driver will dig into my hand if I forget to take it out.

I bought it after buying a Freestyle (which I really like), figuring it would be exactly like the Freestyle, but more useful....but in my experience it's just not the same. The Freestyle gets carried and enjoyed, while the Skeletool gets relegated to my collection of rarely used multi-tools.

Before spending the money, I would take the time to handle a Skeletool and be sure that you like it. Especially while using the pliers.

#245228 - 04/23/12 08:44 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Hmmm...I also figured since they look the same they'd feel the same. Thanks for the tip. I'll try to find one locally to handle.

#245234 - 04/23/12 10:52 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: Phaedrus]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I think I have the Freestyle - the plier and blade only. If you haven't handled one, I'd recommend it. It's ridiculously heavy for the size. I think my Kick weighs less. For that reason, I rarely carry it - only when my sister-in-law is going to be around (since she bought it for a Christmas present)

Edited by MDinana (04/23/12 10:53 PM)

#245236 - 04/23/12 11:14 PM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
In a head to head comparison, even with the 154CM blade on the Freestyle (I have one), I'd take a Kick (I have one of these too) for price and weight. The Kick weighs just a tad more, but look what you get for the 0.7 oz additional weight.

Leatherman Freestyle CX, DLC Coating: Weight: 4.5 oz
Suggested Retail: $72.00
Our Price: $44.95
Tools:
154CM Stainless Steel, Clip Point Knife
Needlenose Pliers
Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
Hard-wire Cutters

Leatherman Kick: Weight 5.2 oz for 12 Tools in One
Suggested Retail: $43.95
Our Price: $28.95
Tools:
420HC Clip Point Knife
Needlenose Pliers
Regular Pliers
Wire Cutters
Hard-wire Cutters
Wire Stripper
Small Screwdriver
Large Screwdriver
Phillips Screwdriver
Bottle Opener
Can Opener
8 in | 19 cm Ruler

#245240 - 04/24/12 01:42 AM Re: Who has a Leathermans Skeletool CX? [Re: ]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
They are being replaced by the rebar, which looks just as good.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.