Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#244846 - 04/13/12 07:11 AM Need another backup (all purpose) knife
Chisel Offline
Veteran

For a few weeks now, I am looking for a backup knife that has a stright edge ( around 4 inch) , a serrated back , and a chisel tip . It should serve as knife, make-shift saw, and a small prybar. A dive knife seems logical choice except for that line-cutting hook that almost literally split the blade in two parts.

I hate that hook.
So, here are my questions:

Q1 : Is there a dive knife with all of the above except the hook ???

Q2 : What do you think of this choice , and can you think of a better choice with the same , or more , capabilities ???

#244848 - 04/13/12 10:52 AM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: Chisel]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
When diving, that line cutting hook is very handy, especially in waters where scrap fishing line is present. I doubt that it significantly affects the strength of the knife. The biggest issue with all the dive knives I have used is that they are pretty poor knives, but I am not familiar with recent products.

My choice for a "sharpened pry bar" is a County Comm product, their EOC mini breaker bar (a larger version is also available), combined with any of several knives. I use the knife for cutting, and the breaker bar for bashing, prying, and other rough uses. Since my knife is usually a multi-tool, either a Wave or Blast, I have a very decent, but small, saw available for anything 2x4 size or smaller.

#244849 - 04/13/12 10:55 AM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: Chisel]
bigreddog Offline
Enthusiast

The problem with dive knives is usually that the steel is very stainless and therefore doesn't hold an edge very well, in my experience.

If you really want a flat pry tip and serrations - some of the CRKT offerings have this or

http://www.heinnie.com/Boker-Plus-Divers-Knife/p-0-0-7319/

might be worth considering

#244853 - 04/13/12 01:06 PM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: hikermor]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I agree with about the county comm preacher bar but I want the tip to be a compromise between a knife tip and a chisel, not a full width like the county comm bar.

This knife is needed as backup , so it maybe the last thing I have and should handle several tasks. I even wish it has a full tang and metal butt so I can use it as a chisel if need be.

In addition, the other side of a dive knife is serrated, the prybar is not.

#244854 - 04/13/12 01:10 PM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: bigreddog]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

The poker plus seems to be serrated both sides. One side is fine serrations, the other side coarse serrations.

The knife I am looking for is a backup, in case I have to give it to someone else, or maybe I have lost my knife and need one thing to do many tasks. So, it has to have a stright edge, plus other features.

#244855 - 04/13/12 03:06 PM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: Chisel]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Except for the size, the CRKT Razel SS7 seems pretty close to what you are looking for (it has a 7.5" blade).

They have smaller versions of the Razel, but they don't seem to have the serrated back.

I don't have any experience with these knives so I can't say how well they work.

#244864 - 04/13/12 05:12 PM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: Denis]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Thanks Denis

This razel actually answers another one of my wishes. It seems to be full tang with a metal butt for hammering it .... like a chisel would be hammered. However, that "can opener" thing at the butt makes me nervous. It is an accident waiting to happen.

Plus , off course, the 7.5 inch blade is too long for me.

#244865 - 04/13/12 05:25 PM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: Chisel]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Yes, their Ringed Razel is closer to the size you're looking for, but unfortunately doesn't have those same serrations on the back side:

If the chisel tip wasn't required, something like the SOG Team Leader Survivor might work for you, or maybe one of the SOG Revolvers?

--
Edited to add:

Thinking about this a little more, as a back-up & possibly only tool I don't think you'd go wrong with something like Wenger's RangerGrip 78. I have an older version of this knife and I don't think you'd be doing bad if this was the only tool left in your toolbox.

Edited by Denis (04/13/12 05:34 PM)
Edit Reason: Additional thoughts ...

#244879 - 04/13/12 06:40 PM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: hikermor]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

I disagree Hikermor. First the line cutter does weaken the blade. And second this is like when someone asks me for a skull crusher on a knife. You can cut lines with the sharpened or serrated edge of your knife. Just my humble opinions.

#244897 - 04/14/12 12:23 AM Re: Need another backup (all purpose) knife [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The key word is "significantly;" I would agree that by creating a line cutter, you have reduced the cross sectional area of the blade, but there is still plenty of steel left. I wonder how many blades have actually broken at the line cutter?

Doing SAR in monofilament infested waters, and working underwater, i found a line cutter really useful. In fact I took a cheap parong knife, cut off the blade squarely about an inch from the handle and ground out a line cutter in the stub, so that I had a line cutting tool that I could wield at close quarters in zero visibility waters without slicing my partners. Very specialized, but useful in that application.

Edited by hikermor (04/14/12 12:28 AM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.