Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#244112 - 03/30/12 09:03 PM Rules for discussing firearms
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Let me appeal to the moderators to clarify the rules for discussing firearms. I thought I knew them, but maybe I don't. It will help everyone to have some specific guidelines. Thanks.

#244115 - 03/30/12 09:16 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I didn't know there were any such rules, other than the general rules of being on point. Maybe I missed them.

Bob

#244116 - 03/30/12 09:25 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
May I suggest -

FORUMS: FIREARMS ONLY
Survival and Emergency Preparedness topics involving firearms and weapons. If you find yourself bothered by the topic or discussion, don't contribute.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#244119 - 03/30/12 09:40 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: ILBob]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I didn't know there were any such rules, other than the general rules of being on point.

The existing rules can be found at the rules link at the top of every page. The rules relating to specifically to firearms discussions are:

FIREARMS DISCUSSION: The use of firearms for survival or preparedness, either for food gathering or self-defense, is a perfectly acceptable topic. You can discuss what, where, when, how and training. Any discussion that moves into the realm of defending or opposing firearms ownership or use in our society is political in nature and has no place here.

From the perspective of ETS, firearms are a valid and acceptable survival and preparedness tool. If you don't believe in this, ignore threads involving firearms. If discussion of firearms use bothers you too much, you are welcome to leave. If you oppose the concept of firearms ownership or use, regardless of your reasons, take your debate about the subject elsewhere. If you support firearms ownership and use, that's fine, BUT this is not the place to try to convert those who do not.

Edited by Denis (03/30/12 09:41 PM)

#244120 - 03/30/12 09:41 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: ponder]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
A firearm can be a most useful survival tool. However, some folks here fear then or want to make a political statement against them. Keep those folks feelings in mind when you post and you'll be OK maybe.

#244121 - 03/30/12 09:43 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Denis]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Yup, it's always been right up there in the general forum rules.

#244126 - 03/30/12 10:48 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I support Cliff's suggestion for a separate Firearms related forum....I realize that I am a new poster to this board, but sense a bias against the discussion of firearms...

and when I do want to discuss firearms, do go to another forum, but have tried to contribute only when I think I can offer a little insight to a solution of a problem requested by another...I have 30+ years of competitive shooting, the same number of years as a classroom teacher, and feel somewhat competent in both fields

#244128 - 03/30/12 10:57 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
There are plenty of places where the typical BOB starts out with 20 pounds of guns and ammo. I think that is a bit nuts and often say so in such places. Most of the time no one really cares. You are unlikely to change anyone's mind about much of anything by what you post on any forum.

No kit of mine has any firearms in it, largely because I live in the state of IL and even an unloaded and locked up gun is often illegal outside of one's home. Part of surviving to me is not getting thrown in jail. The sheer weight of a firearm is also a problem, even forgetting the legality for the moment.

There are not many places around me where I go hiking that I am real worried about wild animals. A few coyotes. One park I frequent has vampire deer, but so far my faithful hiking buddy Wilma has protected me and I have not been attacked by them. I always have a hiking stick so in the unlikely event of being assaulted by a poisonous snake I would have some defense.

I am more worried about 2 legged critters, but the laws being what they are make that problem difficult to deal with. For now, I rely on being lucky and avoiding certain areas. Mostly around here there are only a few places that need be avoided.

Bob

#244130 - 03/30/12 11:40 PM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: NightHiker]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
... There are plenty of gun forums out there, if somebody wants "all guns, all the time" it's easy enough to find a place for that.
Agree. Firearms can be one tool in the toolbox and as such can be discussed in any of the current ETS forums. A dedicated firearms forum would constantly be crossing into firearms advocacy -- politics, policy and legislation. There are other forums dedicated to that such as: thehighroad.org; there is no need to duplicate that discussion area here. $.02

#244134 - 03/31/12 01:04 AM Re: Rules for discussing firearms [Re: Bingley]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
While the rules suggest the topic is acceptable, history of threads suggest it isn't because the slightest swerve gets the thread locked.

I will endeavor to never speak of them again on this board.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.