Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#242010 - 02/28/12 04:22 PM Body Armor suggestions
colefield Offline
Stranger

After my response below, I was prompted to do a little digging. Unfortunately I discovered that this poster is posting very similar things in a bunch of fora. This leads me to believe that the poster has some relationship with the company. I've banned the account for spamming.

chaosmagnet

#242017 - 02/28/12 05:09 PM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: colefield]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
What do you want the body armor for? What threats are you preparing against?

For myself and the threats I think I'm likely to face, I've decided against body armor. To be effective, you need to be wearing it or have enough warning to put it on before the threat presents itself.

Also, the added weight and bulk can have a significant impact upon any use of a firearm, especially if you're using cover, moving, or using any shooting positions that aren't on two feet. This means significant additional training time. My training time is constrained as it is.

#242024 - 02/28/12 06:11 PM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: chaosmagnet]
Snake_Doctor
Unregistered

Body armor is getting lighter and thinner all the time. Until I retired a few months ago I was required to wear it. A fact the insurance company made very plain to my employers. I don't likke it and prefer to be free to move and cooler without it holding in heat. It can also get in the way. My suggestion is do without unless people are shooting at you.

#242036 - 02/28/12 08:49 PM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Originally Posted By: Snake_Doctor
Body armor is getting lighter and thinner all the time. Until I retired a few months ago I was required to wear it. A fact the insurance company made very plain to my employers. I don't likke it and prefer to be free to move and cooler without it holding in heat. It can also get in the way. My suggestion is do without unless people are shooting at you.
At which time it's too late to change your mind.

Was that medical insurance or life insurance? If your line of work is such that people might shoot at you, wear the body armor; that's your insurance.

As for that video (I watched before it was removed) -- not impressed with the testing procedures. The bullet may have a much different effect on the armor if you back up the plates with a man size/weight mass, rather than just sticking it in sand and allowing it to fall over. $.02

#242102 - 02/29/12 08:28 PM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: colefield]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
thanks for breaking this thread off. The title itself raised my antenna that it was at best a newbies innocent unknowing of our forums general direction and at worst a shill.

Good job moderator.

#242145 - 03/01/12 04:19 AM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: colefield]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
The company my fiance works for hired an intern and moves the intern around from department to department daily. I told her and her co-workers that I wished my work would hire us interns. We could duct tape phone books all over them as body armor and let them go all prison-gladiator-style on each other to see who REALLY wants the job.

She thinks I'm not quite right for some reason I can't understand...

#242171 - 03/01/12 03:48 PM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: 2005RedTJ]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ
The company my fiance works for hired an intern and moves the intern around from department to department daily. I told her and her co-workers that I wished my work would hire us interns. We could duct tape phone books all over them as body armor and let them go all prison-gladiator-style on each other to see who REALLY wants the job.

Probably because you forgot their weapons. Classic rookie mistake.

Tubes from wrapping paper, empty lunch boxes, staplers (as projectile-launchers, ie, staples)... all work well for improv'd gladiatorial combat. wink

#242173 - 03/01/12 04:25 PM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: colefield]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Pens for short-range stabbing weapons, whirling mice for IT guys, coffee-based special powers, and the sales reps can throw flaming appletinis.

#242215 - 03/02/12 12:25 AM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: MDinana]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
Originally Posted By: MDinana
Originally Posted By: 2005RedTJ

Probably because you forgot their weapons. Classic rookie mistake.

Tubes from wrapping paper, empty lunch boxes, staplers (as projectile-launchers, ie, staples)... all work well for improv'd gladiatorial combat. wink

Yeah, I was going to let them improvise their own weapons. I've actually seen a friend of mine get hit with a stapler once. He came over the desk and knocked the guy out with one hit, it was awesome.

#242216 - 03/02/12 12:32 AM Re: Body Armor suggestions [Re: colefield]
trooper0366 Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Don't forget good old rubber bands. Generally greater range than stapples. Then there is always the ruler to the knuckles.:)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.