Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#236998 - 12/07/11 11:40 PM Talk about overpenetration...
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Among firearm circles, particularly when talking about self/home defense, the issue of overpenetration is frequently mentioned. Well, read about an experiment by the MythBusters gang gone horribly awry while they were firing a cannonball. I have to admit, it's almost comical to read about what and how far this cannonball traveled. I kind of imagine some cartoon character with this bowling ball-sized hole through his torso. But obviously, it's a dead serious thing. Any number of unlucky people could've been killed.

I sure hope this isn't the end of MythBusters experiments based on projectiles.

You can read about it here.

#237000 - 12/07/11 11:56 PM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Well, I guess I won't be needing one of those for home defense. wink

HJ

#237004 - 12/08/11 02:50 AM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: Arney]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
WOW!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#237006 - 12/08/11 04:04 AM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: Arney]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Wow... I can understand why someone might be threatening to sue, but really, you do only live a few hundred yards from an EOD range. If you didn't know it was there, then your real estate agent forgot to mention the noisy neighbors who have the ability to toss a cinder block a mile. This comes solidly under the heading of "stuff happens"- I'd be willing to call it good so long as they cover costs and the repairs/replacements are fast.

I think they are going to be going out to the desert more for projectiles after this.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#237008 - 12/08/11 04:21 AM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: ironraven]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm really shocked shocked that sheet-rock and stucco didn't stop that cannonball cold wink

Nice clean holes it punched through those walls.

Agree with more trips to the desert, but CA frowns on that too.

#237014 - 12/08/11 06:04 AM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: Arney]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
It's fortunate nobody got hurt. Yeah, take it out to the dessert. Keep in mind the actual law, not the facial expressions of people. California frowns upon everything by default.

#237024 - 12/08/11 04:31 PM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: Arney]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

I just saw a short video clip which I think is supposed to be of the experiment gone awry. The target (a simulated castle wall made of cinder blocks, I believe) is set up in front of a big dirt berm. Unless the cannon actually tilted upward somehow, seems difficult imagining how the cannonball could ricochet up and over that berm (the original article said the shot missed the wall so it didn't ricochet off the cinder blocks) and still travel 700 yards to that neighborhood. Wow, that will be an interesting accident investigation report to read.

#237027 - 12/08/11 05:02 PM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: ireckon]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Originally Posted By: ireckon
It's fortunate nobody got hurt. Yeah, take it out to the dessert. Keep in mind the actual law, not the facial expressions of people. California frowns upon everything by default.

I've heard it said about CA,

"If it's not illegal, it's mandatory."

#237038 - 12/08/11 06:31 PM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: clearwater]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

As a California native, I obviously have my opinions about the Golden State. But I'd sure hate to have my thread locked if someone complains about political comments. Let's stick with what's important here--things that go BOOM! grin

I see that the stars of Myth Busters, Adam and Jaime, personally went to see the damage in the neighborhood, although they weren't even the ones conducting the experiment. As a Myth Busters fan, I think I'd be torn between being tickled pink to meet them in person and being hopping mad if I were that family. Maybe me and the missus could do the adoring fan-hater routine on 'em. Keep 'em guessing.

Really, though, when you watch the show, it does seem obvious that they do take safety very seriously although they do a lot of outrageous and highly dangerous experiments that I probably would not do. Actually, I'm surprised that they've managed to have insurance coverage all these years.

One episode pops into mind immediately. It's one of my favorite topics, actually. It was the episode where they were testing the claim that you could save yourself from gunfire by jumping underwater. They fired a series of long guns into a swimming pool, including a Barrett .50 cal IIRC. That pool is literally in the middle of a dense residential neighborhood in San Francisco, next to one of the most heavily traveled surface streets, too. A freak accident could've sent a .50 cal round crashing through who knows how many homes and cars in the neighborhood, and several schools are within range. Kind of creepy when I think about it now, considering what just happened with the cannonball experiment.

#237039 - 12/08/11 06:44 PM Re: Talk about overpenetration... [Re: Arney]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Arney
As a California native, I obviously have my opinions about the Golden State. But I'd sure hate to have my thread locked if someone complains about political comments. Let's stick with what's important here--things that go BOOM! grin
Where are those danged moderators anyway? wink

Let us do restrain ourselves with regard to political commentary.

HJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (M_a_x), 252 Guests and 26 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.