Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#232973 - 09/29/11 10:15 PM Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around?
Frisket Offline
Addict

After having a lovely conversation with a Older Gentleman That has been smoking pipes for 25 years I finally decided to Purchase my first pipe. I went with a Duca Carlos For 48$ and a Tobacco suggested by the shop owner. Here's the little starter kit he helped me put together. So Anyone here Enjoy Tobacco pipes? Id Love to hear Tips and Info and such on how to treat it right and especially see pics of collections and tobacco suggestions of personal favs!

#232977 - 09/29/11 10:29 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: ]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99

I find pipe smoke to be enjoyable since as I understand it you can get various flavored and scented versions. It's far less offensive to the nose in social situations than cigarette smoke.

The gentleman I Spoke too Enjoyed a Lovely Smelling vanilla Tobacco and everyone that came within range loved the smell rather then being offended as such with most non flavored cigars and cigarettes. I Cant wait to obtain the same tobacco as him tho now Im seeing people suggest/prefer to keep flavors to different pipes. Hopefully Cross contamination of flavors isn't gonna be a big issue for a first time pipe smoker as me testing diff tobaccos.

#232978 - 09/29/11 10:37 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I find pipe smoke to be enjoyable since as I understand it you can get various flavored and scented versions. It's far less offensive to the nose in social situations than cigarette smoke.

I can vouch for this. I do not like to be around cigarette smokers. However, Dad was a friend of a pipe smoker and I found the cent rather pleasant. I don't know anything about the blend.

I once heard that mint has a nice, mild flavor.

Jeanette Isabelle

#232981 - 09/29/11 10:45 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A pipe was the last thing I smoked, long ago. Glad I gave up on all tobacco products.

#232984 - 09/30/11 12:23 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Of all the ways to enjoy tobacco I think smoking a pipe is the most dignified.

It is possible cigar fans may feel otherwise.

Jeanette Isabelle

#232991 - 09/30/11 03:15 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
As a non-smoker and not a fan of it in general, I can tell you that even a mediocre blend of pipe tobacco is far more pleasant (almost therapeutic) than any cigarette and most any cigar. I have had the experience of smelling some $12 and $20+ cigars. They were not too bad at all. Good luck with your new adventure. Have fun experimenting with blending.

#232997 - 09/30/11 07:19 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: MoBOB]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I spuriously smoked a pipe a few years back. I've never quit, but it became to infrequent to really be worth the effort. The tobacco would dry out, I would forget how to prepare and smoke the perfect pipe and so on. I only smoked outdoors, and I enjoyed it very much - but I haven't missed it, either.

I really hated the artificially flavored tobaccos, with vanilla and whatnot, but that's a matter of preference.

Pipe tobacco is a luxury anyway, don't go cheap on the tobacco. I can't tell you what brands and whatnot, as your preferences and local availability might be very different from mine. I went for the stuff I thought smelt best, no artificial flavors, at the highest end of the price range.

They way you put the tobacco in the pipe matters. Google for some pipe preparing tips.

The way you puff matters - not too hard as the tobacco will burn too hot, damaging the pipe and the flavors, and not too soft/infrequent as that will produce yuccy, tar-like smoke. Exactly how hard and often you should suck would also depend on how hard you've compressed the tobacco.

And - "I didn't inhale". Tobacco is for taste. There's no taste buds in the lungs.

#232998 - 09/30/11 10:19 AM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
No one has mentioned the most important benefit of a pipe or cigars over cigarettes. Since you don't inhale you don't become addicted and the harm to your health is much less. My insurance company counts me as a non smoker.
Try Erinmore if you like a beautiful smell.
I prefer the falcon pipes pesonally. The hollow stem means you can fit a filter to avoid drowning in fluid if you find it a problem. And their larger bowls range don't need filling every few minutes. The Istanbul doesn't spill if you lay it on it's side either.
qjs

#233013 - 09/30/11 04:31 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
For those who might believe that advocating tobacco use on a survival forum is irony, I offer a selection of pipe-smoking survival features:

-mosquito smudge deterrence
-provides a smoke-marker for aerial searches
-filters out air-borne pathogens and toxins
-provides fire-starting practice
-provides trade goods for barter
-may be used as an improvised water filter straw by immersing the bowl in water source and sucking water through the stem filter

...I am certain that I have missed some...

#233016 - 09/30/11 04:49 PM Re: Any Tobacco Pipe Smokers Around? [Re: Frisket]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Only an extremely occasional pipe smoker, but over decades. That tobacco the dealer selected for Frisket is actually my favorite. More "sophisticated" smokers seem to prefer the CB in the blue packet, I forget what the flavor is, maybe rum. Their stuff in the gold packet has a bit of that vanilla smell...all the CB stuff is pretty good IMO, but I'm not a sophisticated user...

It is a relaxing ritual. IMO that's what it's about, like the tea ceremony. It's messy, expensive, frustrating (pipes don't stay lit for long = good for outdoor bush safety but otherwise annoying), you have to carry a few small tools, you almost always have to do it outside these days (not everybody likes the smell).

As others said, you don't really get a lot of "smoke" out of it per se, the other people in the room get far more lol. The pipe tobacco doesn't have the thousands of chemicals that cigarette tobacco does. You probably end up actually throwing away most of the pipe tobacco you "smoke".

I have never seen a woman smoke a pipe, though I bet it "commonly" happens somewhere. That could be a pro or a con to some. I picked up smoking the cigars from a European woman in the 70s...

Edited by cfraser (09/30/11 04:53 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 423 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
1 second ago
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.