Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#230218 - 08/22/11 03:39 AM Libya: Will good deeds go unpunished?
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
What will a "good" outcome for the United States look like in Libya?

#230220 - 08/22/11 04:03 AM Re: Libya: Will good deeds go unpunished? [Re: dweste]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Um ... a new government forms that's friendly to us. Gas prices drop. Their leaders broker a deal in Israel, love and happiness flourish in the Mideast, Iran realizes they're the only grumpy ones left and say "the heck with it" and become friendly with the rest of the world.

I can dream, can't I? smile

#230222 - 08/22/11 04:20 AM Re: Libya: Will good deeds go unpunished? [Re: MDinana]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Good deeds? Some political insiders are saying that we're getting into Libya to contest Chinese influence on the oil interests in the area. It's for energy and money again. Otherwise why aren't we in Syria? The Syrians are being trampled by the dictator, and in many ways that country is more ready for Western-style democracy than Libya is. Very few political acts are for moral good. Most are eyeing a payoff somewhere.

By the way, are we supposed to be talking about stuff like this? I thought the policy was no politics on Equipped.

Da Bing

#230223 - 08/22/11 05:19 AM Re: Libya: Will good deeds go unpunished? [Re: dweste]
LED Offline
Veteran

In global politics there are no good deeds, only interests.

So this thread doesn't get shut down maybe we could change the topic to "how to survive in a rapidly changing, civil war type environment?"

#230226 - 08/22/11 06:53 AM Re: Libya: Will good deeds go unpunished? [Re: LED]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: LED
So this thread doesn't get shut down maybe we could change the topic to "how to survive in a rapidly changing, civil war type environment?"

Be ready to grab your stuff and run? I read a few accounts of journalists posted to Libya, and it seems that a big problem is nobody knows what's going on, not even the militants (on either side). So even though in a civil war many people can bug in and get through eventually unscathed, they are really taking their chances. With superior information, they will be able to determine whether they can bug in or need to bug out.

If a battle comes near you, bugging out is probably the safest. I know some people on this forum are fond of responding to obstacles "with their 9mm," but that puny pistol isn't going to do much for you, except perhaps getting you shot by a .50 machine gun. Before you leave, it would be useful to board up the windows, reinforce the entrances, etc., not because you'll be able to stop determined militants from breaking through, but you just might be able to encourage them to use the next house instead. So I guess a good supply of lumber.

The good news is that you can still get Chinese take-out in a war zone:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/midd...RQmH_story.html

So save up the menu handouts.

Da Bing

#230290 - 08/22/11 10:37 PM Re: Libya: Will good deeds go unpunished? [Re: dweste]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Currently, the headline on CNN reads "Worried about Libya's WMD". Here we go again. It's the same old formula for justifying future military operations in an oil-rich country. I guess if it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

To keep it survival related, I like the idea of having good running shoes on at all times, except when showering. I'd try to train beforehand by doing some parkour. cool

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 409 Guests and 62 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.