Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#228814 - 07/30/11 10:43 AM Mental Wasteland
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Sometimes we don't have anything better to think about. And sometimes we have too many things in our head to think about anything serious. So the brian wanders in the stratosphere.

My questions are NOT anything important, but they crossed my mind anyways. So, if you anything to do , don't bother stopping here and reading.

The other day, I have noticed something about two co-workers . The names of their wives were the feminine counterpart of the other guys name. ( Say a male is called : Paul, female counterpart is Paula ). So, my brain starting asking : Why is it that Paul didn't marry Paula , and John didn't marry Jane for example ??? It would have been neat and fun.

In my community, I have started noticing something like this.
So, has anyone of you seen it ?

Another question from the mental wasteland.

In some ciommunities, it is not unusual to see two guys, each is married to the other's sister. Not necessarily an arranged marriage per se, but it happens. In the West, I guess it is less likely, and maybe rare. Hence, it would be fun if it happened. So, has anyone of you seen it in the U.S. or U,K, for example ??? ( Excluding arranged marriages , off course )

For the more serious forum members with valuable time, I have warned you this thread is a waste of your time. LOL

#228815 - 07/30/11 11:24 AM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Chisel]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I happen to have a little time to waste this morning so here's my true story about names:

A long time ago when I was still single, I traveled for work for a couple of years with two guys who were married. One guys' wife was named 'Joy' the other guys' wife was named 'Dawn'. I took that as a sign and searched the world over for a girl named 'Ivory'.

We would all have wives named after dishwashing liquids.

The years have passed, and I don't see those guys anymore. Although I never found that hot, sudsy girl named Ivory, I did find one named after a classic movie star.

We lived happily ever after.

The End

#228826 - 07/30/11 04:27 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
In some communities, it is not unusual to see two guys, each is married to the other's sister. Not necessarily an arranged marriage per se, but it happens. In the West, I guess it is less likely, and maybe rare. Hence, it would be fun if it happened. So, has anyone of you seen it in the U.S.

Sigh.

Okay, I hope I can get it all straight. This is my family.

My Mom's family: Lorraine, Howard, Walter (all siblings).

My father's family: Cleve, Marion, Emily, Gladys, Eleanor (all siblings).

Lorraine first married Marion's son, Armand, and later married his nephew, Cleve.

Howard married Emily.

Walter married Gladys.

Eleanor married a total outsider, probably because Mom didn't have any more brothers. It worked out pretty well, I guess, as they never got divorced and didn't drink themselves to death, as opposed to most of the others.

I think there are a couple of other 'incidents', but I have made a practice of avoiding most of my family like the plague.

Sue

#228828 - 07/30/11 04:49 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Chisel]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
The thing that amuses me about names is how common it is for people to have essentially the same first and last names.

I don't mean really obvious ones like Bob Roberts or Jimmy James or Johnny Johnson or Dick Richards. I like the more obscure ones. Naturally my mind is blank for them right now when I need an example... edit: my boss' sister was Patricia Paterson before marrying and always went by Pat.

#228829 - 07/30/11 05:05 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Quote:
Why is it that Paul didn't marry Paula, and John didn't marry Jane for example ??? It would have been neat and fun.

If your first criteria for a spouse is that he/she has a similar name, your prospective marriage is already in trouble.

That said, it probably wouldn't be any more stupid than some of the reasons people DO get married.

Someone said long ago: If people didn't get married for such stupid reasons, they wouldn't be getting divorced for such stupid reasons.

Even when I was a kid, there was always the mother who hitched up with a dork just so she could name their kid Kelly Green. I once knew a Pete Moss. Jane Ayre. Jimmy Crackorn. Amber Griss. Rose May Bloom. Candi Sours. A lot of them probably changed their names as soon as they could, and the others probably ended up in the state penitentiary.

But today, parents are naming their kids all kinds of strange names; the little blond girl next door is Riley. Other girls are being named things like Jordan, Taylor, Addison (like the disease), Bailey, Brett, Connor and Kevin. Boys are being named things like Tatum, Ariel, Zion, Angel and Mhaxx.

And then there are all the weird spellings that make the parents look illiterate: Chanz, Britni, Rilee, Raychul, Jessikuh, Payj, Jakub, Natuhlee, Jorjah.

This brings up mental images of how the wedding invitations will read in 10-20 years:

John and Riley
Kevin and Taylor
Chanz and Raychul
Dengue and Addison

In another 20 years, people will probably be named after diseases.

Sue

#228830 - 07/30/11 05:15 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Susan]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
I was named after Jeanette and Isabelle, two milk maids who told the village that the Christ Child was born, in a French legend. My mom, Rebecca, and her sister, Elizabeth, were given Biblical names. Jeanette is the French feminine form of John, a Biblical name. Isabelle is the French form of Elizabeth, my aunt's first name. Aunt Elizabeth had a set of twins, Timothy and James, Biblical names which, when shortened, are Tim and Jim. My maternal grandmother, a preacher's daughter, is Mary.

Jeanette Isabelle

#228832 - 07/30/11 05:24 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Susan]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Susan
Even when I was a kid, there was always the mother who hitched up with a dork just so she could name their kid Kelly Green. I once knew a Pete Moss. Jane Ayre. Jimmy Crackorn. Amber Griss. Rose May Bloom. Candi Sours.

There was a member of our church whose name is Buster Brown.

Jeanette Isabelle

#228833 - 07/30/11 05:36 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

BTW, there was an old actor whose name was Redd Foxx
Was that his real name or just TV name ???

#228834 - 07/30/11 05:40 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Chisel]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Chisel
BTW, there was an old actor whose name was Redd Foxx
Was that his real name or just TV name ???

John Elroy Sanford (December 9, 1922 – October 11, 1991), better known by his stage name Redd Foxx, was an American comedian and actor, best known for his starring role on the sitcom Sanford and Son. -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redd_Foxx

Jeanette Isabelle

#228837 - 07/30/11 09:10 PM Re: Mental Wasteland [Re: Susan]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: Susan

This brings up mental images of how the wedding invitations will read in 10-20 years:

Dengue and Addison

Sue

dengue ! ? !

sue, you really crack me up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 266 Guests and 108 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Today at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.