The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#226374 - 06/22/11 02:07 AM Knife for an 8 year old
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Ok, I know there are multiple old threads on here about this but rather than flame up an old one and missing out on some of the newer sharps in town....

My son turns 8 in a couple of weeks. He's just joined Cub Scouts and learning knife skills is part of that program. We've started teaching him at home and he had a lesson in making wood shavings at Cub camp with past weekend. He loves it and wants to learn more.

[img:right][/img]

We've decided that a good folder would make a great birthday present. He won't get to carry it or use it without direct supervision until he's competent enough but we'd rather he learn with his own knife. He'll take a great deal of pride from that, and hopefully learn to take care of his tools along the way.

We're thinking a locking blade with a hilt to stop his hand from accidentally sliding onto the blade. His hands are still pretty small so we don't want anything too big but not something too small either. He needs to be able to get a good grip and it has to be practical. (He tried my Buck 199 folder but, as you can see, it was a little too big for him.)

I remember the day I got my first knife - a SAK, handed down from my Dad. I was so proud. I still have it. I don't expect him not to lose it but hopefully it will be a cherished memory. (This is a bigger deal than I thought it would be.)

What are your suggestions?

Edited by bacpacjac (06/22/11 10:38 AM)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#226386 - 06/22/11 03:02 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
leemann Offline
Soylent Green
Addict

Loc: At the soylent green plant.
Victorinox for a folder (non locking) Benchmade,Buck.Gerber.

Just a few ideas.
Lee
http://datacore.sciflicks.com/soylent_green/sounds/soylent_green_people.wav
RIP OBG

#226388 - 06/22/11 03:30 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
I was going to recommend a Victorinox Alox Farmer a couple of weeks ago when you mentioned he was "moving up", but it doesn't have a lock or blade guard you want...would be a cherished lifelong possession.... you might look at the Gerber 500, has a rocker lock, and a circular section of the frame that acts like a choil to prevent slip...

#226390 - 06/22/11 03:45 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
How about a Buck-Prince#503U of the slimline series,about $30,should fit his hand just about perfectly,doesn't have a guard though,but the fit matters more than anything else!Good Luck!

#226393 - 06/22/11 04:03 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
widget Offline
Addict

How about a Spyderco Persistance? They are reasonably priced, well made and actually great steel. Very convenient design with some safety built in. Supervise use and it should be a decent choice for a young man.

I usually carry one or a Tenacious (slightly longer blade). I have been surprised with the quality and like the Tenacious more than my expensive Paramilitary model.

I remember my first Cub Scout knife, it was a Boy Scout pocket knife. I was sure proud of that one!

#226394 - 06/22/11 04:08 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Get him a simple mid-sized SAK with a large 2" blade, and a smaller 1.5" blade.

Give him some basic training on it slipping and folding on his fingers. Give him the standard speech about being responsible and careful. Then let his go and allow him to make his mistakes.

Yes, it will fold on his fingers when he tries to use it like a dagger, and he will try to use it like a dagger. Yes, his hand will slide onto the blade when he tries to stab something, and he will try to stab something. He is going to cut himself and he will hurt and bleed. But, he will learn.

Kids have always had to bleed a little to learn how to handle a knife. They pretty much have to bleed a little to learn to respect, but not fear, a knife. The good news is that most cuts tend to be small and require little more than a little soap and water and a band-aide.

You might want to give him the fist-aide training for minor cuts along with the basic warning. Wash with soap and water, dry, instal bandage, go back to work.

#226399 - 06/22/11 07:16 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: Art_in_FL]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
How about a Case Cheetah?

It locks, it has a swing guard, it's well made (in the USA I might add), and they make it in two sizes (the Cheetah and the smaller Cheetah Cub).

I would get a nice belt pouch with it as well. I find kids are less likely to loose a knife when they carry it in a belt pouch than if they carry it clipped to a pocket or loose in a pocket. As an added benefit, they seem to take well to the concept that, when they aren't using the knife, it stays in the pouch.

They start at around $70 for the standard versions, which I find to be pretty reasonable for quality knives from the USA.

#226408 - 06/22/11 11:41 AM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
my first, at 6, was the typical SAK classic, you know, the key chain knife.

Buck makes a half model 110 I think. Lockback, strong, kind of heavy.

Spyderco or their cheaper Byrd knives have some small models that may fit his hand.

Case knives are classic.

Personally, I'm not a fan of locking knives for new users. Typically you have to hit them "wrong" to close them, so keeping the threat of cut fingers will help them forge better knife habits. I've only ever cut myself on a locking blade.

#226409 - 06/22/11 12:18 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I'd say SAK tinker. thats what I got my 8yr old cub scout this past Christmas.

#226410 - 06/22/11 12:29 PM Re: Knife for an 8 year old [Re: bacpacjac]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about the Kershaw Mini Cyclone

http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1635-00-Mini-Cyclone-Knife/dp/B000FU4HVS

A Victorinox Leather Knife case (Lockable 2 - 3 Layer) will fit this knife quite nicely.

Or if this a little too much knife then how about the smaller Fallkniven Mod U2

http://www.fallkniven.com/us-u2.htm

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (06/22/11 12:34 PM)

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.