Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#225165 - 06/04/11 03:27 AM How do you survive hate groups ?
Chisel Offline
Veteran

The other day I was lurking at a local forum and read some comments about someone from an "opposite" group carrying a folding knife , and that was a "warning" that makes it necessary to take extra measures

Hate groups interpret everything as a conspiracy and a grand plan of some sort. I have been carrying a knife all my life and never ever used it even to kill an animal or bird. It is part of my "tool" collection that goes with me everywhere. Since some hateful people upgraded their theorories to cover pocket knives, I have changed to Swiss army knives and multitools, although I don't like the extra weight, and do not need the bottle or can openers, but these tools help cover the knife in between.

Preppers always try to have a low profile and not stick out. But with hate groups putting a magnifying lense on your race/faith/culture ..etc. you can't help it anymore.

You are who you are. And you try to live and let live, but some others see you as a walking problem.

So, politics aside, how does a prepper deal with such a problem ????

Some of the ideas I can think of in such a scenario:

- Try to have as many freinds as possible from all different ethnic/religious/geographical groups.
- Upgrade and beef up your BOBs and GHBs ( and plans )...

Any more ideas ???

#225166 - 06/04/11 03:44 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
So far I have largely been able to avoid such people; i guess that is my strategy. No experience with this intruding much into my reality, so I pass on suggesting advice. Sorry you have to deal with it.

Edited by dweste (06/04/11 03:45 AM)

#225168 - 06/04/11 04:15 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Having a Melting Pot of friends will probably,keep your mind off of all that Crapola!Hate exists the world over for one reason or another though Fear is probably the most prevalent of reasons.I understand some places on this Planet make it Very difficult to even contemplate having a Melting Pot of friends,Just remember,Where there is a will,there is a way!I bid you Good Luck in your Endeavours!

#225173 - 06/04/11 05:55 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Those people have always existed and will always exist. Like water, they always seek their own (low) level.

Just try to avoid them, and try not to let them drag you down to their level. It's easier online than in person. Some boards will allow you to ignore them, so they don't raise your blood pressure.

And some are just trolls, baiting people. Just give them all the attention they deserve: NONE. It frustrates them... pity, eh?

Sue

#225177 - 06/04/11 08:07 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I wish it was on-line, and I wish it was only me

The stress doubles when it is your loved ones with too few years to have enough experience. My boy is just starting college next year. He is not a trouble maker by any means, but he can be bullied very easy, and he can explode in moments of anger and that is how some smarter boys can put him in trouble.

It is me and the family as a whole I am worried about. My wife has already seen enough when she was working and she quit afew years back. It was safer ( and saner ) for her to stay home, but the kids have to go out and explore life.

These waves of hate seem to behave like tidal waves; going up and down every few years.

Back to planning.

I was wondering if "scaling down" gear was a better choice in such situation.

A few years back I would use a pocket knife no problem, but these days, I prefer to use one arm of the scissors to cut a box open, just to "blend in" and look as unprepared and as "undangerous" as the rest.

#225186 - 06/04/11 03:06 PM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I guess I don't understand the problem w/ having a multi tool or knife. Even for your sons age of 18-20 years old. It's not illegal in almost any situation, there are laws of course, to carry one.

Tell him to keep it in his pocket or bag until someone asks for assistance w/ something or requires him to employ it as an expediency.

As for my life, If someone doesn't like the fact that I carry (multiple) knives that's their problem and to a point they are welcome to keep it to themselves. We can agree to disagree.

Doug has many threads on here for knife rights and responsibilities. Maybe have your son read some of these to cover any conversation he may have in the future.

#225188 - 06/04/11 05:19 PM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: Chisel
So, politics aside, how does a prepper deal with such a problem ????

For prepper related haters: Ignore them. Like the saying goes "You know you're doing something right when people hate you". If they persist on asking you if you're preparing for the acopolypse, just tell them it's for the the next earthquake (power outake, water outage/boil order, flood, broken car, etc.) Qualify that with "the last time you went through one it sucked, and there's no reason to think it won't hapen again" and "you were the only one with a knife (water, motor oil, flashlight, etc.) when it was needed" logic.

For ethnic/religious/socioecomonic/general us-vs-them haters: Ignore them unless you're outnumbered. Then run. They're going to hate you no matter what you do.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#225217 - 06/05/11 01:00 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I work hard of maintaining the ability to walk up and talk to anyone. If I feel put off by someone, or some group, I often make a point of walking up to them and talking. A smile and open hand go a long way toward humanizing yourself to people who judge you, and you them. Demonstrating that your not afraid of them, even if you are, and they have no reason to be afraid of you, even if they do, is the basis of all diplomacy.

Diplomacy is all about respect and admitting that both sides have a right to be there, a right to be who they are, and everyone has legitimate interests and concerns. Once you establish that you establish that neither side is going anywhere so everyone has to deal. Then it is just cutting a deal.

A big step is to realize that aggression and anger mostly come from fear. That the burning desire to stock up on weapons and ammunition is a not an expression of strength so much as an expression of weakness and fear. You don't want to start off declaring that but it goes a long way toward understanding people.

#225230 - 06/05/11 05:15 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
jzmtl Offline
Addict

Loc: Montreal Canada
I just laugh and thinking to myself "geez, another f-ing retard", and pass on. Haven't met anyone in real life yet.

As far as knife goes I carry as usual, if anyone doesn't like they can go pound sand. But I'm pretty low profile about it, I don't even offer it to anyone I'm not familiar with unless it's life or death.

#225232 - 06/05/11 06:05 AM Re: How do you survive hate groups ? [Re: Chisel]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I have an Idea,Turn those people on to the Free World,possibly in a way that won't make you look like a subversive insurgent type.I know you have a Kinda' Unique situation as far as,Where this is happening,There has to be others over there,like yourself,seek them out!I have friends here from those parts,they went through alot of crap as of recent/present times go,they do alot of educating people as I've witnessed,& It has always turned out Very Well.It may not be the road you like to travel,so to speak,But I have seen it work here to Good Effect!You have a friend here! Salama Lokum!:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 287 Guests and 106 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.