Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#223719 - 05/16/11 06:52 PM Experienced a small miracle...
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
....or a ridiculously improbable coincidence....

A couple years ago, my wife and I lost a baby before she was born. Her name was Lily and she’s the only child we actually named before birth. We started a tradition shortly thereafter with our four other children. On special occasions and sometimes when just out some were having fun, we buy helium balloons that they can "send to Lily in heaven" so she knows we didn't forget her. Yesterday, I was leaving a local shopping mall after closing time with my 8yr, 7yr, 4yr and 8-month-old little ones. It was a windy, rainy evening. My wife was still inside paying for a few things. On the way to the car, I noticed three mylar balloons tied to a weight and sitting in the lot. Two were solid colored and full-blown, the third was not quite full of air, it was a star shaped, multi colored balloon on which "Happy Birthday" was written. Seeing that they had little or no loft, I cut the ribbons away, leaving only 3" or so for each of my oldest kids to hold while reducing the weight so that they might fly. My son remarked that it wasn't Lily's birthday, so why would she want that balloon. I said "well its just the thought that counts". The kids released their balloons and one by one they sunk to the ground! Oh well, I said, "we tried". I asked the kids to go throw the balloons in the trash barrel. A second later they are back saying they won't fit in the trash barrel. Just then, my two girls let go of their balloons almost simultaneously they being to rise into the sky. Excitedly they begin jumping and saying "its a miracle, its a miracle"! I laughed and told my son to toss his "birthday" balloon up to see if it will go. Slowly it rose, until the steady wind caught hold of it and it joined the others, struggling to gain height. We watched as they continued on their way into the grey, cloudy skies until they were barely perceptible dots. Just then my wife came out and the kids told her about the "miracle" rising balloons. The kids rushed my wife into the car because they wanted to scan the sky for the balloons on the way home. No luck spotting the balloons however.

About 20 minutes and 10 miles later, as we turned up the street where we live, the kids has all but forgotten about the balloons when I passed a neighbor's driveway... and noticed a familiar looking happy birthday balloon sitting there on the side of the street! Could it be??? No way we thought, no way that could be the balloon we released at the mall. Even if I could suspend disbelief and accept that it made it here, I'd also have to accept that it made it through the small opening in the tree canopy above this driveway in our heavily wooded neighborhood - to land within 10' of where we'd be driving by. I hit the breaks just after passing, and put the car in reverse. My son jumped out and grabbed the balloon, exclaiming as he entered the car "this is it, this is Lily's balloon". My wife, who had not seen the balloons looked at me and said, "You don't expect me to believe that this is the same balloon from the mall". Taking a look (and in somewhat disbelief), I said, "it sure looks like it; what are the odds we find a similar balloon also with only 3" of string"? She replied, "Well did you mark it or anything"? I laughed, responding "do you think I expected that it would land at home and I'd have to identify it"?!

Being an engineer, I went back in the house and went online to see a map and the wind direction from the local weather. Wind was East North-East 14mph with 20-25mph gusts. I plotted the mall parking lot and my home street the map, and there was an ENE bearing between the two! At 14mph, the balloon would have taken 27 minutes to cover the nearly 7 miles as the crow flies. My wife was in the store for at least 5 minutes after the balloons were released, and with the gusts of wind it is plausible that the balloon made it there just before we did. We’ll choose to believe that it’s a sign that Lily now watches over us all

#223720 - 05/16/11 07:49 PM Re: Experienced a small miracle... [Re: kevingg]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
That is super cool Kevin! I'd take it as a miracle too. We've got a little angel in our family too. It sounds like you've adjusted really well. I love the balloon idea! What a fun idea to involve the kids!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#223729 - 05/16/11 10:01 PM Re: Experienced a small miracle... [Re: kevingg]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
I does kind of make you wonder, doesn't it?

Sue

#223748 - 05/17/11 01:51 AM Re: Experienced a small miracle... [Re: kevingg]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
That, my friend, is truly heartwarming. Yes, it was a miracle. A moment to treasure forever.

#223769 - 05/17/11 03:35 PM Re: Experienced a small miracle... [Re: kevingg]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
very touching

#223813 - 05/18/11 02:47 AM Re: Experienced a small miracle... [Re: kevingg]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
You have know idea how much I needed to hear a story like that right now. Thank you very, very much.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#223816 - 05/18/11 03:36 AM Re: Experienced a small miracle... [Re: kevingg]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
My universe is big enough to accommodate surprises -- including dark matter and Lily's balloon.

Sometimes I think we humans are still at the stage of picking up seashells on the shore of a vast unknown ocean.

Thanks for the story.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 164 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by brandtb
04/03/24 08:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.