Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#222570 - 04/30/11 07:34 PM Stihl Saw Basic results
Frisket Offline
Addict

Using The Still PS10 Folding Pruning saw I Had alittle Fun While clearing out some trees.

http://www.stihlusa.com/handtools/PS10-STIHL-Folding-Saw.html

The Trees Where cut down with a chainsaw and then processed down to the main trunk with the PS10. May not be very impressive to some of ya but I tell ya out of the package with the brand new blade it went threw everything like butter with little to no effort and no soreness.

Now if thats not enough cuts threw enough decent thickness (note the waterbottle) branches for a decent shelter and some base fire wood at the least I dunno what is. VERY little effort went into this amount of cutting. For such a small light weight saw it gets the job done very well. Overall I think it was easier then using a hand axe or large knife and i figure I am losing less needed fuel by not knocking out a large notch and dropping big chips of wood.

Overall Very very pleased I went with the stihl Saw. I Have no way to compare it to other saws but I know at the least it does the job well and I like it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention The trees are two weeks old cut downs.

Edited by Frisket (04/30/11 07:39 PM)

#222581 - 04/30/11 09:55 PM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: Frisket]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If there is anything a pruning saw can do well, it is cutting fast. You might also try a Swedish bow saw. They are pretty quick as well, although they can't get into confined spaces the way a pruning saw can.

#222583 - 04/30/11 10:01 PM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: hikermor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If there is anything a pruning saw can do well, it is cutting fast. You might also try a Swedish bow saw. They are pretty quick as well, although they can't get into confined spaces the way a pruning saw can.

The great thing about the PS10 is its very small when folded and easily stored and forgotten about weight wise. Im betting it can fit in most larger Survival pouches which is a major bonus. It wont cut threw much more then a 6 inch log comfortably but in a survival situation Im positive it will serve its purpose well. Tomorrow Im definitely going to attempt to tackle as large of diam I can. Happily I can state the plastic handle is comfortable and has no "hot spots" as of yet. It provides great grip one and two handed and Im positive id prefer this smooth plastic over any form of rubberized or rubber slabbed grips.

Edited by Frisket (04/30/11 10:02 PM)

#222732 - 05/02/11 09:25 PM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I love my folding saws Frisket. I've got a pruning saw (sierra) and a Swede saw. Tried them both out last weekend in a similar project.

I think I like the sierra better. The swede saw is GREAT. It's light weight, only slightly longer than the sierra and cuts very nicely. It's just a little more fiddly and I worry about the blade being so thin compared to the sierra. I use it all the time but decided to put sierras in my kits.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#222761 - 05/03/11 12:17 AM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: bacpacjac]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
I love my folding saws Frisket. I've got a pruning saw (sierra) and a Swede saw. Tried them both out last weekend in a similar project.

I think I like the sierra better. The swede saw is GREAT. It's light weight, only slightly longer than the sierra and cuts very nicely. It's just a little more fiddly and I worry about the blade being so thin compared to the sierra. I use it all the time but decided to put sierras in my kits.

I cant speak the the quality of other Folding pruning saws in the handle and blades but The stihl Seems built pretty well. The major downside to the stihl saw is the price of the blades. I may very well have to purchase a Coghlans Saw simply because replacement blade costs. Stihl does in fact sell a sharpening kit for their pruning saws so I may look into that.

#222763 - 05/03/11 12:43 AM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'll have to check out that sharpener. Thanks Frisket!

#222766 - 05/03/11 12:57 AM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

I think it is for the chainsaw primarily but i was informed the files can be used on pruning saws as well hmmm I dunno now.

http://www.stihldealer.net/productdetail...atprods-43.aspx

#222801 - 05/03/11 01:40 PM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: Frisket]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have sharpened double-tooth saw blades using a feather-edge file of the appropriate size. This includes pruning saws, swede saws, and SWAK saw blades. Some of the newer ones with induction-hardened points would require diamond abrasive to sharpen effectively.

The saws I sharpened showed some improvement. If you have to take off a lot of metal, though, you start to lose the set of the teeth that creates a wider channel (kerf) that keeps the blade from binding in the cut. Generally, nothing cuts as well as a new blade.

#222811 - 05/03/11 03:56 PM Re: Stihl Saw Basic results [Re: Frisket]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Doug!

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 405 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.