Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#219543 - 03/17/11 04:20 PM Asking a favor; please show your support!
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
I recently completed an awesome project for work - the Merrimack River Greenway in Concord, NH.

It was an awesome process and now I’m asking anyone who cares about natural places to take a few moments to do a personal favor for me and a valuable resource in my state (NH) (NOT ASKING FOR MONEY!). Check out this link for a key part of the study that I wrote, it has a description of the entire preferred route and some awesome nature pictures I took during the fieldwork:
http://www.cnhrpc.org/images/stories/tra...1_WithCover.pdf

The proposal for the Merrimack River Greenway Trail is to build a fifteen mile long paved shared-use path along the Merrimack River. The MRGT would be an amenity for residents and visitors to bike to work and enjoy the natural beauty the Merrimack River has to offer. Someday, it will connect to other trails, resulting in a 114-mile long, car free, biking and walking path from Salem NH to Lebanon NH -- the Granite State Rail Trail.

There is much to do before the community at large can enjoy walking and biking along the Merrimack River. With that in mind, that folks with whom and for whom I provided the engineering services (MRGT Steering Committee) are seeking to have broad support before this can become a reality. I think support from all over the country and world will help generate excitement in a big way!!!

Here are the two main ways I’m asking for your and your family/friends’support:

-- "Like" us and become a "fan" on facebook .

-- Be counted as a Registered Friend of the MRGT: 1,000 Friends of the MRGT.

Take a look at the entire study if you’d like; see the “Greenway Path Documents” at this link ; most of this is my work and photos! BMP and the MRGT.

MY SINCERE THANKS!

Kevin

#219585 - 03/17/11 10:55 PM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Nice work, I "Like"d you.
I'll be looking forward to seeing how it progresses.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#219588 - 03/17/11 11:10 PM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sounds good to me, Kevin. Paths like this are hugely beneficial and useful. There is a good chance they will attract out of state visitors (like me) who enjoy cycling on such trails.

#219607 - 03/18/11 01:01 AM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Nice work and good luck.

#219733 - 03/18/11 08:15 PM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Done. #166 If I'm reading things right.

HJ

#219771 - 03/19/11 02:16 PM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
kevingg Offline
Addict

Loc: NH
Thanks!!! It means a lot. If I can ever do a good turn for u let me know!

#219902 - 03/21/11 03:23 AM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I "liked" you. This is an outstanding project. Just think of the small hostelries that can be opened to support the hikers who want to do a multi-day hike. This has great potential.

#219910 - 03/21/11 10:17 AM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Best of luck with your project, I like paths, all sorts. No matter where I go I end up walking, and paths will get you there.

Two items that I know you're already addressing but have come up as paths are developed here in the PNW: speeding cyclists, and incursions on private land. On the Burk-Gilman trail, the path has become a prime commuting route for cyclists, some of them moving too fast, and collisions happen with pedestrians, and occasionally cars at intersections. Fair's fair, you'll want to ensure safety of pedestrians just as you enforce traffic safety with vehicles. Also in urban areas the trail can attract some crime, such as robberies and rape - watch out for trail design issues that would make that more possible, such as surrounding brush and other places for assailants to hide. On another trail that took over a railbed between Issaquah and Redmond, the old rail bed ran smack dab through dozens of existing waterfront homes, which had gotten used to the lightly used rail line but are adamantly not happy with more frequent cycle traffic running through their front (or sometimes back) yards. What were once quaint lake side cottages for suburban dwelling middle classes had grown into multi millin dollar mcmansions, with resident lawyers, rich people and well-tended lawns etc. I think they're still fighting over re-routing parts of that trail, not sure - you'll want to be sensitive to adjacent property owners of course.

None of this is so difficult that reasonable folks can't address this in their own communities and contexts. Good luck!

#219912 - 03/21/11 11:21 AM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: kevingg]
ScouterMan Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Done on the yahoo group. As a fellow New Englander, I look forward to this project. Best of luck.

#219913 - 03/21/11 11:26 AM Re: Asking a favor; please show your support! [Re: ScouterMan]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I would suggest plenty of access from the trail to public streets. That seems to be a huge problem with some of these type of trails. Its almost like they force users to go across private property to get on or off the trail because it is so hard to do so otherwise. This situation is not real helpful with the property owners along the trail.

Personally, I prefer hiking in the forest and consider paved trails to be an abomination of sorts. smile

But these kind of trails are mostly for the guys on bikes. And they prefer paving to dirt.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.