Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#218063 - 02/27/11 02:41 PM How To Make a Paracord Hank.
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

One way to keep your paracord from turning into a rats nest in your pack. You pull from the center of the bundle and keep your paracord more organized.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bztUirO0iE&feature=feedu

Hope some of you find this helpful.

#218084 - 02/27/11 10:48 PM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Joseph13]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
thanks for the tip and making the video.

#218085 - 02/27/11 11:36 PM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Joseph13]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

That is pretty neat. For short-term, non-critical use it looks good. A nice way to keep a hank for quick and easy use. I don't think it is secure enough for long term storage or hanks stored where they get a lot of manhandling and abuse.

My preferred method:
http://www.animatedknots.com/coiling/ind...imatedknots.com

Disadvantage is it doesn't run freely without some work so it is slower to deploy.

The advantage is that if tied well it is pretty near bulletproof. I've seen coils machine washed come out intact. This isn't the best way to get rope clean. (You want to loosely coil in an over-sized mesh bag.)

I've seen dozens of coils tossed into a tree-service truck where they ride for years getting tossed together. After years of such treatment there is still little doubt that every coil is still ready to go after they remove the hitch.

#218089 - 02/28/11 12:40 AM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
By far the best way to store larger ropes, like climbing ropes, is to simply stuff them into a bag of the appropriate size, securing the end at the mouth. The rope will feed flawlessly from the bag, whether thrown or simply pulled out gradually. I have used this method for ropes as long as 600 feet, and I understand this is the technique used by Yosemite Search and Rescue to store and deploy their 3000'+ ropes, which span El Capitan top to bottom.

I have also used this technique on paracord and it works quite well. It also works with kayak throw bags.

#218145 - 02/28/11 09:58 PM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Joseph13]
Joseph13 Offline
Journeyman

Art, thanks for the link to the other method of tiying off the end of the bundle.

Happy to share the information. Glad you like it, hope more are able to find it usefull.

#218375 - 03/04/11 02:04 AM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Joseph13]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
For short lengths I've been using 16.6' lengths (100' cut into six lengths) and then make the bundles that Art shows - though I make more wraps around the bundles and finish with a clove hitch. My dad taught me that method many many years ago. It might have an interlaced loop or two, but its no big deal with that length.

I find the 16+' lengths to be excellent for most uses around the campsite - tent lines, short runs for drying gear, etc ....

I still haven't found a good method for bundling longer lengths (50'-100') of thin (1/4"-3/8") cord. I've tried just using bigger bundles, but it still gets tangled a bit.

Any ideas for the longer lengths of thin cord?

#218378 - 03/04/11 02:35 AM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: KenK]
Nomad Offline
Addict

Loc: Just wandering around.
Originally Posted By: KenK
Any ideas for the longer lengths of thin cord?

I fold the line nearly in half, leaving one end about 3 feet longer than the other. Then I repeatedly fold the line in half keeping the short end just a bit longer than the bundle. So I end up with a 3' piece of line and the other end just barely sticking out of the the bundle. I then wrap the 3' end around the bundle and secure it.

Now as long as I keep both ends somewhat together and don't allow either end to get into the bundle, the line will not tangle.

I just unwrap the 3' piece and holding onto both ends, I drop the bundle. It might tangle a small amount but usually a quick shake will clear the tangle.

Works surprisingly well.

Nomad.

#218380 - 03/04/11 03:38 AM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Joseph13]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

When I was fishing with a hand line I used to manufacture 'winders'. These units keep the line neat and organized and give you a good way to pull on the line without taking the flesh off of water softened hands.

These could be as simple a scrap bit of 1/4" plywood cut into a rectangle 6" or 8" long by 3" or 4" wide. You wind the line lengthwise. You can start by catching the end under a wrap if you don't mind the line running off the winder completely. I used to use the awl on my SAK to bore a hole, thread the line through and knot with figure eight knot to keep the line attached. The line stays on the winder more reliably if you dish out the end a bit so the line doesn't slide off. Add a shallow saw cut on each end and you can run the end of the line into the cut to hold it but it is almost as easy to pull the line twice under the last wrap.

If I was feeling like going fancy I would cut the board wider so there was room for an elongated hand hole grip and a slightly longer bar near the handle so I could catch the line with it and really have a good grip for fighting the bigger fish. More likely a stump.

I've also made ugly but workable winders out of a tin can, plastic bottles or a stick.

Winders are a handy bit of kit. Fairly light and compact they serve many purposes well. Carrying a wooden one means you always have a bit seasoned wood that isn't waterlogged and a flat surface you can get to if you really need one. I once split a winder several times to make tent stakes when the stakes I had weren't enough to deal with the wind and there was no usable wood smaller than a 10" diameter tree. You never know when a small piece of flat, dry, sturdy wood might come in handy.

#218399 - 03/04/11 04:50 PM Re: How To Make a Paracord Hank. [Re: Joseph13]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Have you considered coiling in a figure of 8 ?

Edited by BorkBorkBork (03/04/11 04:54 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 446 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.