Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#217914 - 02/24/11 05:28 PM Your Thoughts On Aluminum?
Frisket Offline
Addict

So Ive heard abit about aluminum being linked to alzheimer's disease and was wondering if that effected anyones take on using it.

"Myth 4: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans can lead to Alzheimer’s disease.

Reality: During the 1960s and 1970s, aluminum emerged as a possible suspect in Alzheimer’s. This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s. Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat."

http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_disease_myths_about_alzheimers.asp

I honestly Didn't like aluminum even before I heard of this. When I was little I owned a Stainless steel messkit that was given to me by someone and then bought a aluminum messkit to replace it later on. The Aluminum one was so pliable it was a dented piece of bent metal in no time and since then I have stuck to stainless steel.

So what is your take? Have you removed aluminum from your camping cookware? Would you use Aluminum for your emergency gear only since its weight and cost effectiveness? What do you prefer in alternatives in Aluminum?

#217916 - 02/24/11 05:50 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Aluminum, specifically aircraft aluminum is UL and cheaper than titanium. In fact right now I am drinking from my GSI Halulite Minimalist cup made of a aluminum blend. At dinner last night with my aircraft aluminum long handled spoon. I drink from aluminum cans because I can recycle them.

I can't live my life based on scientific studies that are inconclusive or considered 'suspected to' or 'linked to' any of the hundreds of illnesses that humans can get at some point in their life from a lot of different things. If there is a definitive position on something being harmful like say smoking 3 packs a day for 20 years, then I'll start considering changes.

A glass of wine a night will kill you one week, will make you smarter the next.

Cell phones will give you cancer one week and stimulate brain function the next.

#217921 - 02/24/11 06:10 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: comms]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Exactly. There are studies to support that just about anything we put into our bodies is dangerous in the proper amount. I wouldn't worry about it. Especially since most aluminum items used in the food and drink industry are coated in some way (aluminum cans, for example, are internally coated).

I mean, my grandfather smoked a pipe and worked in painting with lead based paint, and he lived to the ripe old age of 95 where he died peacefully in his sleep. My father worked with asbestos pipe for 20 years, and he's still just fine....and those are items that are known to be extremely life threatening. If I worried about all the stuff that 'might' be dangerous, I might as well just crawl into a corner and die. wink

#217922 - 02/24/11 06:11 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Eggs are good one week next week eggs are bad. Yeah I know how that goes.

A question that you made me wonder now tho is how do you tell the quality of aluminum in something you purchase that isnt labeled with these details?

#217923 - 02/24/11 06:48 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
One of the things I had heard about aluminum was cooking acidic foods in them, like cooking homemade spaghetti sauce in a cast aluminum pot.

But who knows? The ones who create some of these taxpayer-paid 'studies' often have some axe to grind, and the ones who deny them have their money invested in producing the materials.

And, of course, most studies (esp with health and medicine) focus on a teeny-tiny facet of something, and totally ignore how the substance fits into the whole picture.

Sue

#217926 - 02/24/11 07:24 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:
What do you prefer in alternatives in Aluminum?

Titanium alloy is well suited for lightweight mugs, pots and pans. I don't have a problem using hard anodised aluminium either, but I would stay away from the softer pure aluminium utensils. Both HAA and Ti are both lightweight durable and tough.
For kitchen use I use food grade stainless steel, cast iron and HAA.

Quote:
Experts today focus on other areas of research, and few believe that everyday sources of aluminum pose any threat.

Remember the day when experts said smoking tobacco posed no threat to human health and a little radium toothpaste was good for you.

#217928 - 02/24/11 07:31 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
My camping cookware (original question) gets used so seldom that it wouldn't be much of a health hazard even if it were made of LEAD!

So I don't worry about aluminum camping stuff.

Daily usage kitchen stuff is stainless or glass.

In a long-term survival situation at the house the kitchen pots and pans would still be used though over barbecue grill or propane stove.

#217929 - 02/24/11 07:44 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Frisket Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
but I would stay away from the softer pure aluminium utensils.

I just bought 3 mugs that are softer then heck Aluminum. At 2.50$ per I figured a car kit or backup uses for them.

#217930 - 02/24/11 08:01 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I reckon with all the stuff I've done that's bad for me, I died a long time ago and don't know it.

I also learned that studies can be made to tell you what the sponsors want them to tell you.

#217931 - 02/24/11 08:18 PM Re: Your Thoughts On Aluminum? [Re: Frisket]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Echoing what others have already stated, aluminum is not on my list of worries -- especially in regard to short-term survival situations and camping. I keep in my car an aluminum Kelly Kettle and a few other things. Just about every day I drink one or more Diet Cokes out of aluminum cans.

At home, I cook with cast iron.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.