Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#216286 - 02/02/11 07:29 PM You are having it rough but ...
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Some people have it even worse. Sure, the Ice, snow and cold are a pain to get around in but what if you were stuck in a wheelchair or used a walker or crutches ... what then?

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massach.../?p1=News_links

Survival is often couched in terms of independence, and what you can do for yourself. A noble enough concept. But focusing on yourself gets old and can lead to self pity and depression. Look around, find people who have it worse than you do, and help them. You will feel better about your situation, more connected to the community, and less in need to living in a bunker.

The statistics are clear that pretty much everyone will spend some time in their life disabled. It isn't just the old. Young and healthy people break their legs, shatter their spines, and suffer from the effects of MS. We are a fragile species that live in a hazardous and random world.

Looking out for others fosters a community spirit that increases the odds someone looks after you. At the very least if you help others you have no need to feel embarrassed about asking for help. You will have paid your dues. Besides, helping people feels good.

Get out there and help someone.

#216293 - 02/02/11 08:53 PM Re: You are having it rough but ... [Re: Art_in_FL]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Art_in_FL

If your family and neighbors are doing well and don't need any help, you may wonder how you can help your wider community. If you're in the US, please consider joining your local Community Emergency Response Team. The training is free (even if you don't want to join the team, the training is worthwhile) and I've found being on my local team just for the last seven months to be very rewarding.

Check out http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/ for more information.

#216299 - 02/02/11 11:03 PM Re: You are having it rough but ... [Re: Art_in_FL]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada

+1. Good for the community and good for the soul.

#216302 - 02/02/11 11:33 PM Re: You are having it rough but ... [Re: Art_in_FL]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I was heavily involved in volunteer search and rescue from 1970 until 1985 (less intensive involvement before and after that time). I realized the real paradox of SAR - ostensibly you are helping others, but you are getting back more from the involvement than you ever can give. A lot of the satisfaction was the experience of true and committed teamwork - not the hokey "team building" exercises beloved by corporate entities, but the real thing, with real consequences.

All in all, I could make a good case for stating that my SAR work was the best thing I have ever done.

Thanks for the reminder, Art. I should really look up the local CERT - it will be useful when the next Big One comes.

#216311 - 02/03/11 01:53 AM Re: You are having it rough but ... [Re: hikermor]
Ann Offline

Loc: Western Washington
Excellent post Art, thanks.

The statistics are clear that pretty much everyone will spend some time in their life disabled. It isn't just the old. Young and healthy people break their legs, shatter their spines, and suffer from the effects of MS. We are a fragile species that live in a hazardous and random world.

In light of this, if I may add, disability survival 101 is learn how to graciously ask for and accept help. Helping other people is great, but when you're the one in need would you be too proud to accept it--or, furthermore, to ask for it? What about insisting on or begging for help if it is a matter of grave bodily importance? Humiliating? Yes. Survival skill? You bet.

Of course, ideally you'd know how to be so charming that everyone wants to help you anyway. blush It preserves more of your dignity and makes the process smoother on everyone involved.

#216413 - 02/04/11 11:06 AM Re: You are having it rough but ... [Re: Ann]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: Ann

In light of this, if I may add, disability survival 101 is learn how to graciously ask for and accept help.

My teory is that lending a hand out to others while still fit and able will make the process of accepting help when I need it a lot easier...

Asking for and accepting help is a life skill not only for the disabled. I can think of many situations where proud, self-sufficient me really should have bitten the bullet and asked for even just _*a little*_ assistance.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 449 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.