Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#211173 - 11/11/10 03:48 AM First chanterelles showing!
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Central California has had some more rain and I am seeing first reports of chanterelle mushrooms being harvested! Should be seeing some boletes, russulas, and some others; it is one of the ways the forest here tells us it is early winter.

I will be in the Stanislaus National Forest this weekend snooping around for turkeys [now in a brief season pre-Thanksgiving], a few trout before stream fishing closes November 15, and, of course, mushrooms - which go well with both!

Hope you are getting out there!

Edited by dweste (11/11/10 03:53 AM)

#211186 - 11/11/10 02:27 PM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
sotto Offline
Addict

Awesome dweste. This requires extensive photographic documentation.

#211233 - 11/12/10 03:48 AM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Warmup today by touring Effie Yeaw Nature Preserve in Citrus Heights CA. Practiced seeing the turkeys and deer in deep brush.

Also visited an indoor range and got help better securing the pellet gun scope and zeroing it in; after trying about four kinds of pellets suddenly the groups tightened and got more predictable with a cheaper grade of pellet[go figure!]

Maybe I will have the confidence to try for a turkey - if I can find and get close to one!

#211296 - 11/14/10 02:58 AM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Alas, no joy today. Hitting another area tomorrow.

#211297 - 11/14/10 03:11 AM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Dweste, inquiring minds want to know. I thought at first that a chanterelle was probably a French rock group, a counterpart to the Dixie Chicks.

I take it that it is a fungus, very tasty but with no significant nutritional value. I also understand that some of these fungi are rather deadly (e.g., Death Angel). I also understand that it is possible to confuse these varieties and accidentally consume the Death Angel, probably not a good idea...

So, given the lack of food value and the possibility of a really bad outcome, why?

I guess we all have our favorite risk taking activities, so it is nice to have a variety of pastimes to choose among. I would rather climb rocks than pick shrooms, but that is just me...

#211334 - 11/15/10 04:26 AM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Au contraire [sp?], Pierre!

Check the USDA nutrition database; mushrooms have significant nutrient value, including protein and minerals. Dried mushrooms rival fresh venison on a pound for pound nutritional basis.

I stick to a very small number of very distinct edible mushrooms: morels, chanterelles, boletes, etcetera. Their combination of size, color, shape, texture, spore tubes versus gills, scent, etcetera are pretiy easy to learn. And I take classes, guided walks, and study the books, just as I do for edible and useful plants. When in doubt, don't harvest or eat the things.

Fungi are abundant during the winter, early, middle, and late, when there are few other plant sources readily available. They cannot run, gradually I am learning where they hide, and often when you find one, you find many. Further, you can mushroom while doing other foraging and hunting, or just traveling. Mushrooming expands your survival opportunities with only a small incremental increase in energy expenditure.

Edit: Today I learned a new mushroom, the garlic mirasmius [sp?]. Distinctive long, dark brown stalk, garlic aroma, and growing habit. Also found button puffballs, an edible. And also a number of poison Amanitas or Death Cap - again with distinctive color, stem, etcetera. Plus many mystery fungi. Again only eat fungi of which you are very sure.

Edited by dweste (11/15/10 04:31 AM)

#211337 - 11/15/10 05:36 AM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Hey D,I was told by a Friend,That Native Americans Used to use Poison Mushrooms for Fishing,As it is told,there is a Special Amanita,It is Called Amanita Panthorina-Identified by it's Color/Traits:Yellow or Orangeish Yellow with Black spots on the cap.The more common Amanita Muscaria(Death Cap)was not used as the Toxin was diferrent.The Panthorina's were Dried,Pulverized into powder,then spread out over calm water,or in a pond,& The next day fish would be floating on the surface,1/2 alive,but Easy to collect.This Mushroom also was used in combo with some other poison,for Arrows to shoot Deer with but,the info I was told,Pertained to Fish only.For Survival Purposes,It could be an Option,Of course it doesn't sound viable,since you'd have to dry the stuff,& How long would it take to dry?I was told The Amanita Panthorina Mushroom,was Very Difficult to find,have you seen any of this Description? Good Luck with the Foraging!

#211345 - 11/15/10 03:11 PM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Never heard of the Amanita Panthorina or the use you describe. I will check it out and ask around.

Thanks!

#211454 - 11/17/10 02:24 PM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: dweste]
BorkBorkBork Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Sweden
Originally Posted By: dweste
Never heard of the Amanita Panthorina or the use you describe. I will check it out and ask around.

Thanks!

Maybe because they are called Amanita pantherina (DC.: Fr.) Krombh.

The genus Amanita comprise some 600 species none of which have black spots.

The other one mentioned could be either Marasmius copelandii or Marasmius alliaceus.

#211509 - 11/18/10 04:25 AM Re: First chanterelles showing! [Re: BorkBorkBork]
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

M. copelandi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 443 Guests and 76 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.