Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#210013 - 10/20/10 08:11 PM Survival(ist?) book being made into a film
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
I haven't read this book (hadn't even heard of it) but imagine its being made into a film produced by Robert Downey Jr will be of interest to some.

Perhaps ETS should be made into a film. Anyone done anything interesting lately?

http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/robert-downey-jr-eyes-role-as-survivalist/

"...the Neil Strauss non fiction book Emergency!: This Book Will Save Your Life. It will be turned into a film that will be produced by Robert Downey Jr."

Amazon review of the book:

"...After the last few years of violence and terror, of ethnic and religious hatred, of tsunamis and hurricanes–and now of world financial meltdown–Strauss, like most of his generation, came to the sobering realization that, even in America, anything can happen. But rather than watch helplessly, he decided to do something about it. And so he spent three years traveling through a country that's lost its sense of safety, equipping himself with the tools necessary to save himself and his loved ones from an uncertain future."

#210019 - 10/20/10 09:59 PM Re: Survival(ist?) book being made into a film [Re: Dagny]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Saw the book on amazon before but never read it.

I wonder if I should read the book before seeing the movie hmm!

#210024 - 10/20/10 11:21 PM Re: Survival(ist?) book being made into a film [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Frankly, I am less than impressed, at least if one is looking for useful information.

#210030 - 10/20/10 11:53 PM Re: Survival(ist?) book being made into a film [Re: Dagny]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario

I have the book (via a gift) and although at times, I liked the author's quirky writing style, there is not much in it to teach you how to "save your life" leaving the book's title to be very misleading to say the least.

How a somewhat mediocre and misleading titled book is going to translate into a successful movie remains to be seen.

John Lubbock

#210037 - 10/21/10 03:15 AM Re: Survival(ist?) book being made into a film [Re: Dagny]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
Not to be a flamer, (well maybe I am if this isn't truthful, in which case I apologize) but I recall this guy being a tool opportunist. He had zero background in preparation or survival. He was just a writer/journo who saw an opportunity to takes some courses, buy some food and write a Survival-for-Dummy's manuscript and write the year off.

Like I said, I might not be recalling this correctly. But I've thumbed the book and thought it make a great $1 gift.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.