Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#209553 - 10/12/10 08:24 PM Ontario Economy Machete vs CT1 Traditional Cutlass
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I ordered an Ontario 12" CT1 Traditional Camp and Trail Cutlass but by mistake I received the Ontario 12" Economy Machete. I promptly contacted my knife source and they immediately sent me the right knife and a prepaid shipping label. While I had them both in hand, I thought I would photograph and compare them as far as fit, finish, sharpness, and feel.

Online prices vary day by day, but there is a difference in price for these two knives. The CT1 sells for about $20, and the Economy model for about $12. Both are made in the USA.

The overall size (17 1/4) and appearance is nearly identical. Scale material is an inch thick, hand-filling, and comprised of a hard black shatterproof polymer. Both had 4 metal rivets and a lanyard hole.

The blade material is 1095 high carbon steel coated with zinc phosphate and was the same on both. Both are stamped "Ontario Knife US" in two lines. I measured the blade thickness, the CT1 measured 3.2mm, and the Economy machete much thinner at 2mm. Both blades have a double bevel, a 1 5/8th inch unsharpened choil, and unfinished spine edges, were 12" long and arrived fairly sharp but will need finishing.

My only complaint was with the fit of the handle scales on both knives. The polymer is a little proud along the top of the full tang and has sharp inner edges. I will have to sand it down or it will grind up the palm of my hand in heavy use.

I also purchased the 12" Ontario heavyweight nylon sheath which would fit either knife. There is a cheaper one available, but I'm glad I paid $4 dollars more and got the good sheath. It has a ballistic nylon belt loop and non removable 'frog', and is lined with a cut resistant polymer material. It weight 5 ounces and has 3 solid rivets and 3 open rivets for securing cord. Much better quality than other machete sheaths I have seen. I could not find any country of origin markings on it.

My conclusion is that at 15.2 ounces, the CT1 has the perfect heft that I was looking for, and is heavy enough for chopping, splitting, and digging...the reasons I bought it in the first place. It is an excellent value for the money. The Economy model is more like other machetes and would be good for lighter work. I like the ricasso, the scale material and phosphate coat, so I will say that it made of slightly better materials than the larger rubber handled Tramontinas I own, but maybe not as good as the wood handled ones. To be fair, it costs more too.

The attached photo shows the CT1 on top, and the CT1 in the sheath

Attachments
Ontario Budget Machete vs CT1.jpg (5451 downloads)
Ontario heavy sheath.jpg (2731 downloads)

#209563 - 10/13/10 01:48 AM Re: Ontario Economy Machete vs CT1 Traditional Cutlass [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Nice review Byrd_Huntr. Thanks for taking the time for posting it.

Not that I ever needed a machete, but now...

John Lubbock

#209568 - 10/13/10 03:00 AM Re: Ontario Economy Machete vs CT1 Traditional Cutlass [Re: Teslinhiker]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

+1. I have a couple of full-size Ontarios, and they are genuine workhorses that hold an edge.

"Need," of course, is relative. I almost "needed" one of those stout little 12" Ontarios when I found them in a hardware store in Kawai. But DW was right there ... wink

#209620 - 10/13/10 09:13 PM Re: Ontario Economy Machete vs CT1 Traditional Cutlass [Re: Teslinhiker]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker

I have had a couple lying around for a long time, and I put a large one to the test last month in preparing a site for my ground blind. The land is in southern Minnesota and belongs to a relative of mine. It is mostly agricultural, but with many mile-long 200 foot deep ravines winding through the region. The wooded areas are steep and brushy with huge hardwoods. The the sunny perimeter between the woods and the cornfields is overgrown with tall grasses and forbs. I was impressed with the way the machete lopped limbs, swept through brambles, and tall grass and then served as a splitting axe when I built a campfire later on.

I also carry a larger one one in the Trail Blazer in case I have to cut brush to stuff under the tires to get out of the mud.

I'm going to field test the little Ontario CT1 to see if it is a good survival knife. My requirements are a stout CS blade, a robust comfortable handle, lightweight, and cheap. I envision lopping pine boughs for shelter, prying up rocks for a firepit, chopping and splitting wood for shelter and fire, hacking through ice, digging a pit or digging up roots, and even as a mini frying pan for cooking small pieces of fish or meat. The field knife I have used for years can do most of these things, but not as well.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 433 Guests and 56 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.