Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#206115 - 08/14/10 01:53 AM Because polite isn't always enough.
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

Sometimes you need to get the point across in the universal currency of strong language. Swearing.

http://www.youswear.com/

Politely lifted from:
http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010/08/uh-oh_the_commenters_will_romp.php

I don't often swear. Either online or in person. IMHO it cheapens the language. When I swear most people around me realize it is not done casually. That said it has a place. To break people out of their complacency and fog.

That and knowing how to do it, do it well, and in several languages is a moderately useful skill. And knowledge is fun.

#206126 - 08/14/10 04:44 AM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: Art_in_FL]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I Beleive it strengthens the Language,Especially if done with Tact & Appeal,I often use it to great Effect in other languages, than The English tongue I'm more familiar with,Though I prefer to "Cuss" as opposed to "Swearing"!

#206131 - 08/14/10 06:14 AM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: Richlacal]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Well, as a long time pro cooks I tend to swear way too much- imagine a sailer turning red and starting to cry! blush I try to dial it back in polite company, though.

#206205 - 08/15/10 04:20 PM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: Phaedrus]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
If you have a criticism to make you should be able to make it using normal language. Swearing is just adding insult to the mix and building resentment. Not the best situation for a group trying to work together. Every boss that ever swore at me instantly lost all chance of co-operation and respect. Even if I was in the wrong. Wouldn't you feel the same?
You'll also lose sympathy with some members of the jury if you get to court.
I never got into the habit; one pleasant result when I was a cop; any complaints obviously included a definite lie. Criminals can't imagine anyone not swearing so usually report your language as including it.
Unlike the laughable idea that 'swearing at a mugger/ intruder will show you are serious'.
QJS

#206212 - 08/15/10 08:15 PM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: quick_joey_small]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
Hmmm. Can we say potty mouth? I recall my Drill Sgt making the following admonishment - "For all you guys taking leave, please remember, it's not "Mom please pass the f***ing butter", ok?"

There are social situations where swearing is the norm, and social situations where if you swear you will look like the proverbial turd in the punchbowl.

If you take swearing personally, that is any swearing that is not personally directed to/at you, then so be it. But it would be nice if you told everyone that you disliked swearing. I try to refrain from cussing in polite company, works most of the time.

#206214 - 08/15/10 08:33 PM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: JBMat]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In normal life the use of swearing is often seen as a mark of poor social skills, weak education, possible low intelligence. Cussing in a job interview can scuttle your chances if you aren't going for a job as longshoreman, drill sergeant, or boatswain's mate.

That said in an emergency situation a few well chosen and well placed swear words can serve as a tonic to break people out of their illusions that things are normal and that their usual concerns with modesty, decorum, property rights, and civil behavior are misplaced.

For all things a time and a place.

#206243 - 08/16/10 04:20 AM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: Art_in_FL]
MarkO Offline

Loc: Oregon
I'm Irish. I swear all the f'in time. I am finding however that lowering my tone and looking directly into someone's eyes while I'm calling them out works better.

#206244 - 08/16/10 05:04 AM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: MarkO]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Art said it Best"For All things,A Time & A place!",Albeit,Some of us find that there are Too many Times,In Too many Places!

#206248 - 08/16/10 08:36 AM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: Richlacal]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
If it wasn't necessary, it wouldn't have evolved. Or survived.

When was the last time you used the words "ye olde" "sooth" "couth" in normal conversation? Cuz I guarantee that some curses have been around since those words, and I can tell you which ones have been stricken from English.

#206591 - 08/22/10 11:47 AM Re: Because polite isn't always enough. [Re: MDinana]
Ramsey Offline
Stranger

Loc: Northern CA
Even for those that are against it, there is definitely a very appropriate time and place for swearing. Trust me, when I tell a "bad guy" to put his F*ing hands up there is much less discussion than when I ask him to please take his hands out of his pockets.

Maybe I'm just being uncivilized, but I absolutely agree with the title of the thread.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.