Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#104751 - 09/05/07 07:12 PM Schwert's on body kit.
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Tried to P.M. you. Overlimit.

I looked at your artical on the Outdoors-Magazine site. Any chance of an update on what you have changed or upgraded?

Interesting point: Popularity seems to go up when a disaster is in the offing.

Regards,
Leigh.

#104764 - 09/05/07 09:19 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
JCWohlschlag Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Sterling, Virginia, United Sta...
Schwert, your Urban Preparation Kit article on Outdoors-Magazine.com is fantastic! Would you be so kind as to give some additional details about the coin wallet you have pictured? It looks much better than the incessant amount of crap that seems to come up when I do a search for any coin-carry solutions.

#104849 - 09/06/07 06:31 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Seattle, Washington
Thanks guys for the comments.

The articles are still relatively current for my prep. I have modified a few things (like my current carry knives) but for the most part the vest, desk, and car kits are just about the same.

The biggest change is a new Filson custom style 8 vest...actually getting on to 2 years old now, but the same as the original just not as worn out.

I added a large (2.5pint) Kelly Kettle to the car kit.

I have finally put my Sebenza in the safe and replaced it with an Ingram Sodbuster.

I somehow removed my Vic Mauser from my vest (not sure why or when or where I put it) blush

I have added a cell phone....cheap as chips Nokia with Tracfone prepay.

I wear lighter boots for the most part now.

My ham radio is now in a small camera case on my belt, and I carry a Smilie antenna in my pen case rather than the thin wire one in my vest back pocket. That one kept catching on things.

The coin wallet has actually been replaced with a zip leather wallet....a popular one that I cannot remember the name (Edit---Mission Wallet is what I carry now, a nice zip leather case with busness card slot). The original one with metal coin slots has worn out, I got it from the "Vermont Country Store" many many years ago and it is no longer listed.

One of my favorite comments about the article on another forum was that my gear was "geriatric", that made me smile. It also emphasises that the gear list is not and was not my main point for the article, even though it seems to always be the main point of any discussions. My main point was to evaluate your specific scenarios and make plans to deal with them....sometimes with junk...sometimes with skills.....and sometimes with plans.

I really have no plans on doing an update to the article, as I have several other articles underway. The article has got me more hits than any other and for the most part many folks see it as somewhat helpful, with a few thinking I am totally bonkers.

I also whacked all my old messages so my PM box should be open now. 307 old messages with 25 allowed....opps

Edited by Schwert (09/07/07 09:10 PM)

#104853 - 09/06/07 06:57 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Schwert]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Schwert,

I am told that the Mauser is no longer made. although they do come up on E-Bay every now and then. Best replacement on the market for it is a Swiss Army Farmer. May have a different name in the U.S. It's the Model 87 Soldier + a saw. Very tough little knife.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen the lighter fuel container manufactured by Zippo? I was going to borrow your trick of putting fuel in a Tabasco sauce bottle but decided that I didn't care for the risks involved in terms of it breaking. Saw the Zippo fuel on Don Rearic's site. Looked for it on E-bay thinking to buy one second hand and discovered that they are still made. Built like a bomb. It's as solid as a K&M matchcase. But not of the same build quality (what is?). Will fit in your vest very nicely.

One problem with your article: I get very greedy when I see them. Fire piston, Flint & Steel, K&M matchcase. Arrggh!!!

#104857 - 09/06/07 07:19 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

The Farmer is one of my usual daily carry selections...it is probably the reason my Mauser is not in my vest. I have not lost that Mauser I am sure...just do not know where it is. The Farmer is an excellent knife....probably my favorite SAK.

I have the Zippo fuel bottle also. It resides in one of my canvas coats, but I found it retained lighter fluid less well than the Tabasco bottle for some reason. It is nice with the little funnel top and like you say well made...it also holds more fuel than the Tabasco bottle, but I still have the glass bottle in my vest. Tough glass but carried in the pouch with other protective items, it has never leaked or broken.

The image above also shows my new water flask and my current carry ballpoint....a Caran d"Ache branded Wenger Swiss Army. An excellent ballpoint for the ballpoint only times.

Stuff is fun eh?

#104870 - 09/06/07 08:38 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Schwert]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Oooh, nice bottle!! May have to get me one of those. blush

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#104878 - 09/06/07 10:03 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Schwert]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hi Schwert,

I enjoyed and learned from your previous article, to the point where I printed it out and put it in my reference library; Thanks.

I totally agree with your selection of the SAK Farmer as an EDC carry knife. Very versatile but if does not scare the "less prepared" when you remove it from your pocket. I usually carry a multitool but in situations where that is not appropriate, the Farmer is my choice.

I had a difficult time finding one in Canada and ended up ordering it from a knife shop on the other side of the country.

Looking forward to your next article,

Mike

#104879 - 09/06/07 10:18 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Blast]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Blast
Oooh, nice bottle!! May have to get me one of those. blush

-Blast

The bottle is very nice. 600mL stainless steel, not too heavy and fits into the tight side pockets of my Filson computer bag much easier than the round Sigg bottle (with cup removed).

I have also changed to my older Filson computer bag instead of the shoulder bag as I got a laptop from work that I carry back-and-forth. Other contents of carry bag is about the same, except I moved the round titanium cup to my car kit and plan on using the Sigg cup. The oval Sigg cup is not quite as useful (and actually will not work on my sideburnner small alcohol stove) but will work on an Esbit or twig fire.

Edited by Schwert (09/06/07 10:53 PM)

#104936 - 09/07/07 02:53 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Schwert]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Schwert,

Thanks. I prefer flask-shaped bottles like that for EDC. They are much less obtrusive than round ones. Of course, I have three Lexan flasks coming thanks to the 50% coupon code post here last week. blush I guess I'l have to wait until gift-season before getting the Sigg.

Sidenote: do you know if the Sigg flask bothers airline security personal even if empty? I'd hate to get it just to lose it that way.

-Blast
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#104950 - 09/07/07 04:15 PM Re: Schwert's on body kit. [Re: Blast]
Schwert Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Blast
Schwert,

Sidenote: do you know if the Sigg flask bothers airline security personal even if empty? I'd hate to get it just to lose it that way.

-Blast

That I do not know. I would likely put this in my luggage if I was traveling though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 215 Guests and 38 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 03:13 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by Ren
Yesterday at 06:35 PM
Silver
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/13/24 10:09 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
04/04/24 04:19 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.